R.I.P. John Hurt

Tools    

Oh my god

Hope this isn't tasteless but is everyone cool with me adding this to the David Lynch Club; his performance in The Elephant Man may be my favourite ever.

R.I.P. Man that sucks, last film I saw him in was that Hercules movie with the Rock from a few years ago, and that is not a movie you wanna go out on. Snowpiercer wasn't as bad but I still didn't like it as much as some of the others on this site did.

This might just do nobody any good.
One of my favorite actors. This one is painful (no puns, please). He brought so much presence to every role, no matter how small.

The Elephant Man, Alien, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Dogville, Harry Potter, Hellboy, 1984, f**k even the narration to the Tyger movie is made great by him.

RIP

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He looked quite ill in Jackie. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year.
Love and Death on Long Island

The Naked Civil Servant

Jackie

R.I.P.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Well, this sucks. Adored him in The Elephant Man. He made the books I'd read come to life in that movie. And in 1984 he made that movie the chilling, eerie masterpiece it is.

Not a good week for actors this early in 2017... (sigh)

Rip da man. I like his character in stephen frears's The Hit.

This make want to catch 1984 and the the elephant man soon.

Damn, that's a really bad start to my day, an absolutely fantastic actor that will be very sadly missed here
R.I.P. John

My favorite performance of his was made 20 years ago during the indie heyday called Love and Death on Long Island, he plays a homosexual recluse who becomes infatuated with Jason Preistly after seeing him in a Porky's type movie.

I'm feeling pretty dejected after this news. One of my favourite actors going right back to The Storyteller. When he appeared in Doctor Who for the Fiftieth Anniversary it felt completely natural that he was the Doctor and, in a way, always had been. His incarnation, retroactively added to follow Paul McGann's, was shown to have aged from the outward appearance of Hurt in the Seventies through to now. The mystique that that generated and the potential his character created was very exciting and it's brilliant that Hurt was able to play the role some more on audio. Mel Brooks used the phrase "cinematic immortality" in describing The Elephant Man and there are so many roles that Hurt will be remembered for, but I think Doctor Who affords its lead actors a palpable immortality – no-one else will ever play the the War Doctor, it will always be John Hurt.