Any metal heads on this forum?

Tools    

I'm into hard rock/metal/thrash.

Some people, including himself, consider Vinnie Paz metal. Does that count?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Although not as much as I used to I still listen to a lot of metal, but I wouldn't call myself a metalhead. You know, I image metalhead to be kind of obsessed with the genre wearing some fancy shirts with band logos and hardly listening to anything else. Stereotype? Maybe, but I prefer my music more diverse, taste more eclectic and I don't like headbanging at all.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Use to be obsessed with this kind of music when in high school and college and was more or less the only stuff I listened to but not so much now. I listen to all sorts now.

I love all sorts of music, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Ambient etc - but metal was my first love and is my favourite music by a mile. Its the hardest music on the planet to play, has the most soul, can take your emotions from extreme to another.

Its the hardest music on the planet to play
Besides guitar neck masturbation it's not that hard at all. Try playing some Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 3 on piano.

Generalization. Listen to some classical or jazz musicians such as Hiromi Uehara. A lot of soul to be found there. Not saying metal has no soul. Many musicians put a lot of emotions into their playing, but some genres focus on agression more than on atmosphere. Agressive music can also be very spiritual, but to me there are other much more transcedencal genres out here.

can take your emotions from extreme to another.
I like progressive music. Not progressive meaning the genre, but meaning complex song structures. That's why I love me some fancy "hipster" contemporary black metal that juxtaposes very deep, textured moments of tenderness with way more brutal, heavy, kicking elements.

A system of cells interlinked
Huge metal fan, but I also like most other forms of music, too. There are actually multiple threads in the TV and Music forum here on the site dedicated to metal.

Favorite Metal Album

Doom and Black Metal

Although I gre up listening to all the classic bands from the NWOBHM and NWOAHM, I mostly listen to Melodic Death metal these days, my favorite in the genre being Dark Tranquillity. I also like In Flames (Clayman era) and some Folk/Death bands like Amorphis.

Love metal, recently came across these guys called Burzum, but I'm usually late to the game when it comes to music

The Agonist is a good group, if you haven't heard of them a good introductory song would be "Business Suits and Combat Boots."

For me, rock and metal have always been my go to's. I'm really not that old, at all, and I have no idea what happened to mainstream rock. I know everyone has their own tastes and I appreciate that, but how in god's name can Maroon 5 be classified as "rock." And its not that I have anything against that group or Adam Levine, its more what they represent, to me thats the wuss-ification of our country. You have a guy covered in tats, heroine thin, walking like he's about to knock someone out, but when he opens his mouth to sing, it literally sounds like a woman, and a beautiful woman at that. And Im not even trying to debate music style or anything like that, I just don't know what anyone is really singing about anymore, every "new" song out there is either about a break up, getting drunk in the club...or....honestly I don't think there's anything else. I think mainstream music has become so homogenized, along with the whole "tolerance" movement our country has been on, that music itself has lost its edge. And I think music has also suffered from the accessibility of it. Everyone wants to be an artist, everyone wants to be famous, everyone wants a song on youtube or to upload their song to itunes, everyone thinks he/she should have a reality show because they are important, everyone with a camera is a director, etc,etc I was in middle school when Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 were released on cassette, and I was so excited with music then. Thats about the same time when the Metallica black album came out, so for me, that kind of started it all. Jeez and Nirvana was great, I mean are there really any really grand rock or metal bands anymore? For me in the last 6 years, I have been discovering Metal, like real Metal though, because frankly, I don't get the hipster craze or the look or the idea, I see young kids walking around everywhere dressing like they are dick broke but holding 700 dollar iphones, tapping away, "getting things done" on a multi billion dollar infrastructure with the assitance of a product who's company has a 500 hundred dollar stock price, but they want to pretend they are down to earth and just real salt of the earth, calm, relaxed people. Personally, I don't care either way, its just funny to me to see the ludicrous nature of the young american and they hypocrisy of human nature.

ugh..but anyways...EVILLEMACHINE, if you have some good metal recommendations, please send them my way!

A system of cells interlinked
I felt the same, and sort of got away from metal for quite a few years, because the genre seemed to be stuck...until Wintertriangles from this here site recommended some newer bands to me.

Check out the DT track I posted above and then check these out:

You mentioned Agonist, so check these guys out, featuring another harsh female vocalist:

Sedai, thank for the recommends brother, I liked that DT and Amorphis, and Im going to have to do start doing some downloading with Arch Enemy. I'm a sucker for those harsh female vocalist, like agonist and otep, not sure if you have heard of I Wrestled a Bear Once, i can only get into one song of there's, but since I have a feeling you will get this reference I'll share. This track reminds me of a thrashy Sonic Youth song, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way, but in how they were more structure-less technically and claimed to be avant garde rock....just for kicks

Besides guitar neck masturbation it's not that hard at all. Try playing some Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 3 on piano.
It is certainly the hardest genre of rock music to play. Or do you think that Ramones is hard to play?

Generalization. Listen to some classical or jazz musicians such as Hiromi Uehara. A lot of soul to be found there. Not saying metal has no soul. Many musicians put a lot of emotions into their playing, but some genres focus on agression more than on atmosphere. Agressive music can also be very spiritual, but to me there are other much more transcedencal genres out here.
He was obviously comparing to other genres of popular music. Classical music and perhaps even Jazz are not considered popular music. Regular people don't tend to listen to these genres.

I like progressive music. Not progressive meaning the genre, but meaning complex song structures.
And yet you like rap.

That's why I love me some fancy "hipster" contemporary black metal that juxtaposes very deep, textured moments of tenderness with way more brutal, heavy, kicking elements.
So, compared to the rest of popular music, metal is usually much more complex (with some exceptions).

I felt the same, and sort of got away from metal for quite a few years, because the genre seemed to be stuck...until Wintertriangles from this here site recommended some newer bands to me.
And how that's relevant? The good stuff is all from the 1980's anyway. I don't listen to post 2000 stuff regularly and when it is new stuff is from the old masters.

For me Judas Priest perfected popular music between 1976 and 1978. After those years what all bands have to do is to learn these albums and play in the same way. Any wide deviation from the gold standard is sub-optimal.

It is certainly the hardest genre of rock music to play.
Is metal a subgenre of rock music? Well, it depends on how you perceive such things as music types and genres, but to me it's become a genre of its own really long ago. Not to mention dozens of (sub?)subgenres.

He was obviously comparing to other genres of popular music. Classical music and perhaps even Jazz are not considered popular music. Regular people don't tend to listen to these genres.
Well, I feel like a regular guy and I listen to these genres. Does it mean I'm irregular? xD

And yet you like rap.
Firstly, saying I like something doesn't mean I don't like anything else at the same time. Secondly, I only like a very tiny percent of rap outta here.

And how that's relevant? The good stuff is all from the 1980's anyway. I don't listen to post 2000 stuff regularly and when it is new stuff is from the old masters. After those years what all bands have to do is to learn these albums and play in the same way. Any wide deviation from the gold standard is sub-optimal.
You are an utter fool.

Use to be obsessed with this kind of music when in high school and college and was more or less the only stuff I listened to but not so much now. I listen to all sorts now.
When I was in high school I only listened to Iron Maiden. Not only metal but only Iron Maiden!

But after some time I opened my eyes to other metal bands besides Iron Maiden and now I listen to many different metal band as long as they play in similar style to the gold standard defined by Judas Priest. I don't care that much about new stuff like Melodic Death metal but sometimes it is interesting.

I don't think I will ever manage to care much about non-metal popular music. It's only slower, lighter, less complex, less powerful, played with less skill, etc. However I find some classical music to be superior in some ways but not other genres of popular music.

And how that's relevant? The good stuff is all from the 1980's anyway. I don't listen to post 2000 stuff regularly and when it is new stuff is from the old masters. For me Judas Priest perfected popular music between 1976 and 1978. After those years what all bands have to do is to learn these albums and play in the same way. Any wide deviation from the gold standard is sub-optimal.