The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have reservations about reserving this spot, but I will do so regardless.

EDITED:
Current revealed ballot

Current Ballot
  • 01. (#09) Blood Simple (1984)
    03. (#55) Lost Highway (1997)
    04. (#54) Pale Flower (1964)
    05. (#15) Miller's Crossing (1990)
    06. (#13) Blue Velvet (1986)
    07. (#71) Branded to Kill (1967)
    08. (#07) Le Samouraï (1967)
    09. (#11) Fargo (1996)
    11. (#27) The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
    13. (#72) Point Blank (1967)
    15. (#23) Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
    16. (#10) Mulholland Drive (2001)
    18. (###) Naked Lunch (1991)
    19. (#41) Inherent Vice (2014)
    23. (#76) Under the Silver Lake (2018)
    24. (###) Down by Law (1986)

[quote=John-Connor;2443248]...

The Laughing Policeman = Gulfportdoc
Heh, heh. Ya know, I don't believe I've ever seen that movie, although I was always an Anthony Zerbe fan. I was busy with my music career in those days, and rarely got to the pictures then. 'Preciate the thought, though.

None of the one pointers were mine. My 25th position is a pretty famous movie that I'm guessing will show up on the top 100. I haven't seen any of the 1 pointers, but I do apparently own a copy of Long Day's Journey into Night.

Just saw The Guilty (1947) in the Noir thread and wishing I had voted for The Guilty (2018) here.

While we wait for things to start, if there's one thing I want to reiterate from the opening post is this...

Rather than piss and argue about how X or Y film "isn't really neo-noir!", let's focus on "WHY someone saw it as neo-noir". Like I said in the preliminary thread, all of the films complied with our eligibility requirements, which means that somebody – here or there – saw some flavor of "neo-noir" in it. So let's use this as an opportunity to both read what others have to say and write what we have to say, but in a respectful manner. Use it as an opportunity to catch up on great films, regardless of their classifications and see why someone else loved it enough to vote for it.
If there was one challenging thing in this preliminary period was to take this incredibly vague style or movement and try to harmonize it into something that was more or less "tangible" for all of you to vote for. Take into consideration that even film experts and scholars don't always agree into what specifically "film noir" or "neo-noir" is, so what do we mere mortals know? Just have fun with it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Wow, got a one-pointer without trying for it, but glad to see it here. Mine is probably an easy one for folks who know my tastes.

I have seen 5 out of 16 and a few of the ones I haven't, have piqued my interest.

I forgot the opening line.
I thought I had a good 1-pointer going for this, but now I'm intrigued as to who also voted for the film I gave my point to - whoever it is, has my vote, so to speak.

I've seen :

Affliction - pretty good, I have it on DVD
Black Hat - I haven't actually seen it, but it's sat here on the table next to me - a DVD someone threw my way. What are the chances?
The Little Things - great performance from Jared Leto.
Mirage - watched this recently, and it was a surprisingly good mind-bender.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

[quote=GulfportDoc;2443365]

Heh, heh. Ya know, I don't believe I've ever seen that movie, although I was always an Anthony Zerbe fan. I was busy with my music career in those days, and rarely got to the pictures then. 'Preciate the thought, though.

That would be my one pointer...and anyone that watched the show True Detective and wondered what would the 70's version of it look like...

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
@Thief / @Citizen Rules

Hope some of the hosts is going to schedule his reveals for the early part of the mornings. So that, Europe can receive first dose early in the afternoon and second portion in the evening.

Long Day's Journey into Night = ScarletLion
c
Amazingly it wasn't me. I normally vote for this film at any possible chance as it's a modern masterpiece, but I didn't in this countdown for some reason. I didn't go for the whole one pointer thing this time around and instead have quite a well loved film at #25.
Some good ones there though.

I thought about putting Kill Me Again on my list, but I couldn't really remember it or even how I really felt about it, so left it off. Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead just didn't occur to me, but I'd have gone with it for sure.

Reindeer Games = A Christmas movie, my guess = Moviefan88 or Tugg

Affliction = seanc

The Ninth Gate love it, my guess = pahaK

The Little Things = CaptainT

Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead = culliford

Long Day's Journey into Night = ScarletLion

Série noire = Little Ash

The Chaser = CaptainSpaulding

Nope and never seen that movie before , no one pointer for me since I only got 10 movies on the ballot list.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

A system of cells interlinked
I was busy with my music career in those days, and rarely got to the pictures then. 'Preciate the thought, though.
Speaking of... I watched a portion of and interview recently that Samuel Andreyev conducted with you. Interesting stuff! Will finish it up when I get some time.