Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I've been VERY VERY curious about this one. Could you elaborate a little on the strong rating?
Same here, looks amazing, really hyped for it!

I've been VERY VERY curious about this one. Could you elaborate a little on the strong rating?
The strong rating is even more impressive when you consider the fact I can't stand Leo.

I was just mesmerized the entire time. First, the cinematography was mind-blowing. The shots of the wilderness and landscapes were breathtaking. It really draws you in and makes you feel you're in the early 19th century. There were times I literally forgot I was watching a movie. There's also a battle scene in the beginning that's very cool where the camera slowly pans around in a wide circle without cutting and films the non-stop action that must have been highly difficult to pull off. There's also many angles and techniques used throughout the film that are very powerful.

The story itself was tremendous. For those that aren't aware, this is based on a true story with Leo portraying Hugh Glass, a legendary frontiersman. The movie showcases a quintessential example of survival and revenge. It's one of those films where you say to yourself, "Poor guy. There's no way it can get any worse for him." But you end up saying that about half a dozen times throughout. You almost feel the pain and agony Leo's character endures, constantly believing there's no way he's going to get out of the current predicament.

The acting is also amazing. Leo is a lock to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor. No doubt about it. And it's not just his spoken dialogue, which is stellar in and of itself. It's the way he portrays his non-stop injuries and the determination he shows in not only surviving but to exact revenge on those that wronged him. Everything about his performance is ridiculously authentic and 100% believable. The supporting cast is extremely solid as well, particularly Tom Hardy's character, with some memorable lines given. But I'd say around 75% of the movie involves Leo and he doesn't disappoint for a second.

I can't go without mentioning the bear attack scene. I'm not going to reveal any spoilers but I have never in my life seen an animal-attack in a movie so realistic. I have no idea on Earth how they pulled off the special effects but it couldn't be more genuine. If it wasn't in a movie you'd swear you were watching an actual real-life bear attack. I read where the director and special effects team watched over 100 hours of actual footage of various bear attacks to make it as realistic as possible. And boy did they ever.

All in all this is easily one of the 3 best movies you'll see all year. So far my favorite film of 2015 was Ex Machina but I think this one may end up topping my list. It's one of those rare movies where you'll be in a daze with your jaw open from beginning to end and think about what you just saw long after it's over. It's guaranteed to be nominated for Best Picture, and I'd be surprised if it didn't get a nomination for Best Director as well, in addition to other potential accolades. Definitely a must-see.

Edgar Allan Poe

Finished here. It's been fun.

When a woman ascends the stairs
-

Hideko Takamine

Joy (2015)

Much better than Russell's last film American Hustle (Which I didn't think was good at all). The entire cast is great (As is to be expected from a film by DOR) but the story itself and the pacing just make this movie a jumbled mess at times. Since it is loosely based off the story of Joy Mangano with other things thrown in to create more dramatic tension it really doesn't keep your attention as half the time you'll be like "what the hell is going on now?" Even with Jennifer carrying this movie on her back it still doesn't save it from mediocrity that American Hustle was as well. I think it is time for this "dream team" to go their separate ways as I think Silver Linings Playbook was the best they were ever gonna be together.

My "The Hateful Eight" Review will be up later today

I thought it was going to blow but was surprised to see it was decent.

Thought I'd be bored out of my mind but actually loved it.

The Revenant (2015)

A beautifully shot tale of revenge. Don't expect much more and you'll be satisfied.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The strong rating is even more impressive when you consider the fact I can't stand Leo.

I was just mesmerized the entire time. First, the cinematography was mind-blowing. The shots of the wilderness and landscapes were breathtaking. It really draws you in and makes you feel you're in the early 19th century. There were times I literally forgot I was watching a movie. There's also a battle scene in the beginning that's very cool where the camera slowly pans around in a wide circle without cutting and films the non-stop action that must have been highly difficult to pull off. There's also many angles and techniques used throughout the film that are very powerful.

The story itself was tremendous. For those that aren't aware, this is based on a true story with Leo portraying Hugh Glass, a legendary frontiersman. The movie showcases a quintessential example of survival and revenge. It's one of those films where you say to yourself, "Poor guy. There's no way it can get any worse for him." But you end up saying that about half a dozen times throughout. You almost feel the pain and agony Leo's character endures, constantly believing there's no way he's going to get out of the current predicament.

The acting is also amazing. Leo is a lock to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor. No doubt about it. And it's not just his spoken dialogue, which is stellar in and of itself. It's the way he portrays his non-stop injuries and the determination he shows in not only surviving but to exact revenge on those that wronged him. Everything about his performance is ridiculously authentic and 100% believable. The supporting cast is extremely solid as well, particularly Tom Hardy's character, with some memorable lines given. But I'd say around 75% of the movie involves Leo and he doesn't disappoint for a second.

I can't go without mentioning the bear attack scene. I'm not going to reveal any spoilers but I have never in my life seen an animal-attack in a movie so realistic. I have no idea on Earth how they pulled off the special effects but it couldn't be more genuine. If it wasn't in a movie you'd swear you were watching an actual real-life bear attack. I read where the director and special effects team watched over 100 hours of actual footage of various bear attacks to make it as realistic as possible. And boy did they ever.

All in all this is easily one of the 3 best movies you'll see all year. So far my favorite film of 2015 was Ex Machina but I think this one may end up topping my list. It's one of those rare movies where you'll be in a daze with your jaw open from beginning to end and think about what you just saw long after it's over. It's guaranteed to be nominated for Best Picture, and I'd be surprised if it didn't get a nomination for Best Director as well, in addition to other potential accolades. Definitely a must-see.
WOW
thank you so much for the elaboration! It's everything I was expecting and pretty much cemented my determination to do - somehow - find the time to make it to the theater to witness this on the big screen.

Thanks again.

It's one of those films where you say to yourself, "Poor guy. There's no way it can get any worse for him."
Spoken like someone who lacks life experience.

"There's no way it can get any worse" is a sentiment you will NEVER hear from me, it's something I would never think under any circumstances because there is no such thing as rock bottom.

Life can and will keep getting worse. The only solace is to think to yourself, at least life isn't as bad as it will be tomorrow.

The Hateful Eight (2015)

Bloody good fun. Tarantino does it again. Not my favorite Tarantino film but it is nowhere near a bad film either. The entire cast is great but Kurt Russell really shines above everybody else in this film (His mustache is epic as well) and so does Jennifer Jason Leigh. Also Tarantino saying there was no role in here for Waltz is not entirely true, Waltz could of easily done very well in the role Roth is given but I digress Roth is perfect in this film and I am not complaining about the casting in any way shape or form. There are some problems I had with the film but I can't really get into them without giving away spoilers so I'll just leave it that. I'll give one complaint I had below in spoiler tags, it is not really a huge spoiler or anything but if you wanna go in completely blind don't look.

WARNING: "Minor Hateful Eight Spoilers" spoilers below
The fact that half the characters know who each other are without having even met before. Half the characters get one look at one another and go "I know exactly who this is" even though a good number of them have never seen each other before in their life.

Besides that and a few other things I thought it was a very enjoyable film.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Christmas with the Kranks - 1/10 - Simply put, I've seen it once. That was two times too many. Poor acting, poor story, poor dialogue, and a very out-of-place subplot that is introduced at the last 1/3 of the movie.

A Christmas Carol (1938) - 7/10 - Decent movie that I stumbled upon while browsing through Netflix. It's a black-and-white short feature film (1 hour, 9 minutes) that retells the classic Charles Dickens story. What's not to like?

Mad Max: Fury Road - 10/10 - I really enjoyed this movie (though I honestly like The Force Awakens a good bit more). Good acting, good plot, wonderful sound and cinematography. My only gripe is the overhype over the flamthrower-guitar guy. He seemed like a stupid nonsensical addition to me, but hey, to each their own.

THE RIDICULOUS 6
(2015)

This is by far Adam Sandler's funniest film in years. The western comedy features a hilarious supporting cast that includes Rob Schneider, Steve Zahn, Terry Crews, Will Forte, and Nick Nolte, and even more hilarious cameos by Harvey Keitel, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Blake Shelton, and Vanilla Ice.

The Revenant (2015)

A beautifully shot tale of revenge. Don't expect much more and you'll be satisfied.

I have a strong feeling this is the year that Leo finally gets an Oscar. From the intensity of his performance in the film, and how much crap he went through while filming it, it's safe to say the Academy will and better just give it to him.

Welcome to the human race...
My only gripe is the overhype over the flamthrower-guitar guy. He seemed like a stupid nonsensical addition to me, but hey, to each their own.
This is a film series where the inhabitants of the world respond to a worldwide petrol shortage by building massive tricked-out vehicles and driving around in the hot desert - in that context, a guy whose entire job consists of playing a flamethrower-guitar for an insane warlord definitely doesn't feel like an especially nonsensical addition.

The Martian - 2015

I heard all the positive word of mouth for this film so I decided to see for myself. Seems pretty hard to make a decent film out of someone stranded on Mars for some 500 days. But Ridley Scott accomplished just that as much as one can. Listen the movie was very well executed but it takes a HUGE leap of faith for me to believe a man can survive on Mars for 500 days alone. Who knows if all the science in the movie was possible I'm guessing a good chunk of it was spot on. If I block that out of my mind then yes the movie was really good. Damon was superb on his own (although he was way to up beat the whole time). The whole cast did well, although I didn't think it needed all these big actors in it. Major beef felt like all the people on Earth went through 20 days and Damon 5 years. Maybe have a member or two quit to feel like time lapsed on Earth. Didn't feel like a colossal amount of time at NASA. It was like a Castaway in space plus a bunch of science. If you can just block out the fact that Damon had a better chance of winning the lottery then surviving on Mars for 500 days then you will REALLY enjoy it. Guess I'm just a Scrooge when it comes to Sci-Fi.

Also I need to get Damon's friends. Between this movie and Saving Private Ryan Damon has great friends.

3/5

101 Favorite Movies (2019)