Movie Tab II

Tools    

Wonderland (Michael Winterbottom 1999) - excellent. I wasn't as immediately grabbed as I was with the more epic 'The Claim' (I think that one is to 'McCabe & Mrs. Miller' as this one is to 'Short Cuts'), but by the end I was in love again. I don't know what's next. I tried to get Code 46 at the video store but they said their copy is missing. Guess I'll have to choose another one.

Tonight I'm going to rewatch The Pledge. Should be good, I've recently gotten very into The Indian Runner and The Crossing Guard. I saw the Pledge a few years ago and don't remember much about it other than that it was good. I remember it being pretty slow and am thinking that's why it didn't really stick the first time through. I hope it does this time.

I am having a nervous breakdance
The Funeral (1996 - Abel Ferrara)

Hmmm... Not bad. Pretty interesting piece of work. The ending made me think of The Proposition (2005).

Has anyone seen The Funeral? And what do you think of it then?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Chinatown (First time)- (9/10)

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Good Thief (2002, Neil Jordan)

4/5

Jordan's oft-overlooked remake of Bob le flambeur saw the beginning of a return to form in a career which had started to go South, in my eyes at least, with Interview With The Vampire and Michael Collins.

The reasons? A sense of fun not seen since the one true dud from his 'good' period, We're No Angels, a surprising feel for the material as realised in Jordan's screenplay adaption, a collection of offbeat and engaging characters and most importantly a great performance from Nick Nolte as the dishevelled junkie tea leaf of the title.

The format is fairly traditional for a heist movie (Jordan can't, however, help himself by making one of the crew a transsexual bodybuilder. Thank God, there's life in him yet!) but there's a subtle joie de vivre here which is sorely missing from, if we're talking about recent Euro Robbery movies, Ocean's Twelve.

Breakfast On Pluto continued Jordan's renaissance but I fear that we're not out of the woods yet when it comes to discussing a return to form by the Paddy Auteur to rival Angel or Mona Lisa.

The Desperate Hours - Humphrey Bogart and Frederic March makes a great onscreen duo.

Boiler Room (7/10)

I really really wanted about another minute of an extended ending.

WARNING: "Boiler Room" spoilers below
I wanted to actually witness the FBI rushing in showing surprise on everyone of those maggot's faces then slamming them down on the floor and cuffing them. Especially Ben Affleck's. Damn how I wanted to see someone clean his clock. Those kind of people are all leeches anyways.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Longford (2006, Tom Hooper)

3.5/5

Non BritFos might find this useful:

Ian Brady and Myra Hindley were a particularly vicious duo of child killers who murdered (at least) 5 boys and girls in the mid 1960s. The Lord Longford of my memory was the fantastically dotty old bloke who campaigned all his life for penal reform but will probably just be remembered for his misguided efforts to bring Myra Hindley to parole.

She died a few years ago in prison, which is where an increasingly infirm Brady will spend the rest of his days.

/history lesson

Longford sees a great cast (especially for a British TV movie) with Jim Broadbent, in the title role, walking away with the BAFTA a few nights ago for best actor. A film on such a sensitive subject needs a believable group of actors to stop the production deteriorating into a Movie of the Week snorefest - Broadbent is backed up here by Andy Serkis (Brady) and, interestingly, Samantha Morton as Hindley.

As befits an actress who I rate extremely highly, Sam's fantastic in the role of the young woman who Longford thinks was abused, bullied and cajoled by her lover into helping commit terrible crimes.

Broadbent's Longford comes across as a lot more than a kindly old bleeding heart, someone who is driven by his Faith as much as by his sense of justice. Best actor? I dunno. He had to wear a lot of makeup, I guess, and aged by 40 years through the course of the film so, on that criteria he deserved it.

Serkis shows (again) that there's more to him than Gollum and he is deliciously chilling in places as the sadistic Ian Brady.

Longford tries hard to rise above it's TV roots but just doesn't quite manage. The script is rather uninspiring, as is the direction, but the film is watchable on the strength of the three above performances, with Morton's my personal highlight, alone.

Don't watch this expecting a serial killer flick, whatever you do. It's a story about relationships which doesn't feel the need to judge those who have already been judged...

Saw some stuff lately: Shivers, Fay Grim and Sonatine.

Fay Grim: read a lot of complaints about this recently - too much of a spy thriller, not enough of a spy thriller, can't decide what it wants to be - but they were mostly coming from the same critics who thought No Such Thing were just a deadpan beauty and the beast love story. Needless to say I thought this was good. Not sure how good, as only time and further viewings will tell.

Shivers: Cronenberg's first really watchable film. Nobody does sci-fi horror as well as this guy (well, maybe Ridley Scott did once).
"Roger, I had a very disturbing dream last night. In this dream I found myself making love to a strange man. Only I'm having trouble you see, because he's old... and dying... and he smells bad, and I find him repulsive. But then he tells me that everything is erotic, that everything is sexual. You know what I mean? He tells me that even old flesh is erotic flesh. That disease is the love of two alien kinds of creatures for each other. That even dying is an act of eroticism. That talking is sexual. That breathing is sexual. That even to physically exist is sexual. And I believe him, and we make love beautifully."

Sonatine: Really liked it. I don't think it's a matter of "getting it" more, since there doesn't seem to be much to "get" in Takeshi Kitano's films. Maybe I'm just more open to his detached bipolarness, due to my recent saga of illness (I've had really bad sinus infections four times in the last two months, every time I get better it just comes back after a week or two). I have similarly mixed reactions to Resnais, going back and forth between loving and being bored by Hiroshima mon amour and Last Year at Marienbad.

Pan's Labyrinth

First of all, you see that DVD cover right above this text? Well, it looks freakin' badass. BUT, to be a whole lot more accurate there should be a picture of a captain shaving with a little girl that looks like she's looking for a place to discretely let go of a real smelly fart. Then, if there was any room left over, that faun could be hiding behind a tree in the background. I guess I was a little disappointed. I wanted more fantasy land because it's what I was expecting. I know my expectations are my responsibility, but that picture is very attractive! DANG IT! And the whole concept of a fairy tale for grown ups makes it even worse. It was still kind of interesting though.

Seraphim Falls

What a piece of crap! How dare someone make me watch what felt like hours and hours of one guy chasing another just so that they can make some dumbass moral statement at the end! The story MIGHT have held up for a short film. What was with conclusive flashback thing-a-ma-jig? The acting was horrible during that.

The Fountain

Some guy: "What's this movie's deal?"
Me: "It's a dope-a-thon story... OW!"

That's what I would say to anyone that asked me what this movie's deal was all about.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
naomie
Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest - "I feel sullied... and unusual." - Capt. Jack Sparrow. Indeed, Mr Depp: if Withnail were a pirate, he'd be Captain Jack. Fun film, of course. The plot got a bit sidetracked with effects in places, but overall good stuff. Great character work by Naomie Harris.

Splash - awww! Fun, with a few lighthearted jabs at the scientific-minded. Hard to believe that was 94 years ago already (I refuse to do the math).

Apollo 13 (7.5/10)

My first time seeing this and for a non action flick, it certainly kept me in suspense even if I did know the outcome. So many odds against them yet they still managed to beat them all.

Apollo 13 (7.5/10)

My first time seeing this and for a non action flick, it certainly kept me in suspense even if I did know the outcome. So many odds against them yet they still managed to beat them all.
Did you watch this on tv the other day? lol It was playing on like 6 channels!