POLL: Best Coen Brother's Movie

Tools    

Miller's Crossing

Fargo and Big Lebowski are my two favorites.

The Big Lebowski is my favorite from the Coen bros.

The BIG Lebowski

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

1. Miller's Crossing, GRADE: A++
"That's you all over, Tom: a lie and no heart."
2. Barton Fink, GRADE: A+
"Look upon me! I will show you the life of the mind!"
3. Raising Arizona, GRADE: A+
"Son, you got a panty on your head."
4. The Big Lebowski, GRADE: A
"Eight-year-olds, Dude."
5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?, GRADE: A
"Wouldn't we look like a bunch of Johnny-Come-Latelys, braggin' on our own midget? Doesn't matter how stumpy."
6. The Hudsucker Proxy, GRADE: A
"And you...a Muncie girl."
7. The Man Who Wasn't There, GRADE: A-
"Sooner or later, everyone needs a haircut."
8. Fargo, GRADE: A-
"And I guess that was your accomplice in the woodchipper."
9. Blood Simple, GRADE: B+
"But what I know about is Texas, and down here...you're on your own."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hudsucker Proxy!!! I'll bet my Pulitzer on it!

Raising Arizona comes in a close second. One of the best chase scenes ever, over diapers no less. Great stuff.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Picking a favorite Coen Brothers movie is almost as hard for me as picking my favorite movie. All of them are so good. Here goes nothing:
In my humble opinion, the Most entertaining Coen movie is The Big Lebowski.
The Most Powerful is Millers Crossing.
But the Overall Best Coen movie has to go to Blood Simple.

Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski

BTW, for all you Coen fanataics, Fox is finally getting ready to release the much-delayed Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing on R1 DVD. Still no final official street date, but here's the cover art...

And for those of you with R2 DVD capability, a Fargo SE is due out on March 31st, 2003. It features a new documentary, a separate interview with Joel & Ethan, an audio commentary track with producers Tim Bevan & Eric Fellner, another audio commentary with cinematographer Roger Deakins, trailers, plus various other little extras. I've pre-ordered mine, youbetchya! Oh, Yah.

*sigh* I can't wait. You know, I don't think I've ever seen a Coen's movie I haven't liked.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Just a reminder that Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink were both released on R1 DVD today. Good discs. Not loaded with features - which is not unusual coming from The Coen Bros., but there is a really terrific interview with Barry Sonnenfeld on the Miller's disc. Sonnenfeld was the D.P. for Joel & Ethan's first three movies (Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing) before becoming a director in his own right (Get Shorty, Men in Black, The Addams Family).

And the R2 Fargo disc came out a while ago, with a brand new documentary, "Minnesota Nice"! Real good, yeah, youbetch'ya!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miller's Crossing.png
Views:	834
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	7733  

Raising Arizona

I enjoyed Fargo, but I didn't see why the critics liked it THAT much. It was good, but I didn't think it was such a great movie like the critics said. Same thing with that movie One False Move.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
To me, O Brother Where Art Thou leaves them all behind. It has the best dialouge, the best comedy, and best performances, and the best storyline.

And the best soundtrack.

At least in my opinion.

Best Coen Brother's movie? I haven't seen one I dislike. My personal favorite is the Big Lebowski, followed closely by Fargo. I watched Miller's Crossing again yesterday, and I must say, the Coens really did a great job with that too.

A system of cells interlinked
This question is tough!!

I am having trouble picking a favorite, but it is between Miller's Crossing and Fargo.

Big Lebowski followed by Fargo
they're the only Coens films that i've seen all the way through but Lebowski is one of my all time favourite movies

Originally Posted by Sedai
This question is tough!!

I am having trouble picking a favorite, but it is between Miller's Crossing and Fargo.
Sedai, how could you have trouble answering this question? You walk around saying "Let's go to Pancakes's House" all the time?

Originally Posted by Piledriver
Sedai, how could you have trouble answering this question? You walk around saying "Let's go to Pancakes's House" all the time?
it was the waffle hut....

So many good movies, so little time.
Originally posted by Sedai :

This question is tough!!

Ditto

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by uconjack
Ditto
Albert Finney + Tommygun + Danny Boy means it's Miller's Crossing over Fargo for me.