Favorite Decade of Movies

Tools    

2010's Movies by my side, I just become of 20 year old. :P

40's for me! Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Maltese Falcon, Third Man, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Double Indemity, Notorious, It's a wonderful Life, Shadow of a doubt, The Big Sleep, rebecca, Grapes of wrath, suspicion, Key Largo, To have and have not, Call northside 777, Gaslight, Magnificent Ambersons......list goes on

Finished here. It's been fun.
The 1990's hands down. So many exceptional films came out that decade.

The 40's and 50's! The two decade are quite special. Maybe because in those days, to make a good movie you have to have a good story to begin with. These you can make a hack 3D movies and make million out of that crap, is just too plain annoying for me to fathom.

Then it would be 90's - Just Shawshank Redemption alone pulls the weight of any other decade.
Then the last decade.
Then 70's.
Then 30's.

Somehow the 60's and 80's doesn't do too much for me.

The way, this decade is going, might as well join 60's and the 80's for me. But hey, 6.5 years left.

all of my top 10 favorite movies at this point were released between 1974 and 1984... if pressed i'd say the 80's are my favorite. but the 70's are really dang close too buddy!

I will say it is a draw between the 70's and 80's. In my updated Top 50 I have 9 films from the 80's and 6 films from the 70's. But all of the films from 1970 are in my top 20, as opposed to the two from the 80's. My favorite movie is from the 70's, but number 2 and three are both from the 80's.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The 1950s is easily the greatest time period in film if only for Japanese cinema of the time. Kurosawa hit his peak with Rashomon and Ikiru in 1950 and 1951 respectively. Kenji Mizoguchi had a consistent stream of masterpieces before his death in 1956 including The Life of Oharu, Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff. Masaki Kobayashi had not yet exactly hit his prime, which would come with Harakiri and Kwaidan in the sixties, but he began his massive Human Condition trilogy in the 50s. Adding to that, of course, the great Yasujiro Ozu. While Late Spring might be his greatest work, Ozu produced masterpiece after masterpiece in the 50s starting with the oft forgotten brilliant middle film in the (supposed) Noriko trilogy, Early Summer (I know this might seem heretical to some, but Tokyo Story is the least accomplished of the three). Not to mention that Ozu transitioned into color in the late 50s with Equinox Flower, Good Morning, and Floating Weeds where Ozu's careful and poignant compositions highlight color in a way that's never been replicated so beautifully. The 50s and 40s in Japan brought many hardships to its people, but it brought the world some of the greatest film art of all time.

No contest here...the 1970's was the most amazing decade of cinema ever.
Agreed. I don't think it's even close.

Hitchcock in his prime, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Vertigo and North by Northwest
Kurosawa gave us, Rashomon, Ikuru and Seven Samurai
Wilder Gave us, Sunset Boulevard and Some Like it Hot
Ford's Masterpiece, The Searchers
Bergman with, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries
Lean's, Bridge on the River Kwai
Welles with Touch of Evil
Ozu's Tokyo Story
Kazan gave us, Streetcar named Desire and On the Waterfront
Kubrick came on the scene with The Killing and Paths of Glory
Fellini With La Strada
Bresson, Pickpocket

Add to them films such as, All about Eve, Night of the Hunter, The African Queen, 12 Angry Men, High Noon, Rio Bravo and of course Singin' in the Rain, Then the 50s is Surely the greatest decade, followed by the 40s with the 70s in third place.

my favourites from the 50's : Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, 12 Angry Men, Les 400 Coups, Anatomy of a Murder, Paths of Glory, The Searchers, Some Like it Hot, Sunset Blvd and many more !

The 60's : Everything that Sergio Leone made, Goldfinger, Cool Hand Luke, The Apartment, The Birds, Bonnie and Clyde, Dr Strangelove, Butch Cassidy, The Graduate, The Hustler, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Marnie, The Party, Rosemary's Baby and many more !

So it would be a tie between the decade I grew up in (2000's), the 50's with Hitchcock and Kurosawa at their best and he 60's that made so many great films !

1980's, for now, is my favorite.

The 1950's are many people's favorite because at that time the greatest number of famous directors worked at the same time, however, since I prefer genre films rather than traditional ones I prefer the golden age of genre cinema: the 15 years from 1977 to 1992 include more movies in my top 100 than any other 15 year period.

Though in my top 200, by decade, looks something like this:

25 - 1950's
25 - 1960's
25 - 1970's
35 - 1980's
35 - 1990's
45 - 2000's

I watched far more 2000's movies than 1950's and 1960's movies though.

Id have to say the 40's and 50's. I grew up in that era and it seemed like even the bad movies were good, not like now. True, there have been many excellent movies since then, but the bad ones far outnumber the good ones.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
2000's for sure and the 2010's are looking pretty solid so far. On my extremely selective top 30 list, 17 are from the 2000's and 12 of that 17 are from Japan

For comedy's and family fun films the 80's. For sci fi, fantasy and animated films 2000's+. The 90's were about drama, thrillers, and romance and offer an extensively refined list of that genre.

Personally I have enjoyed most anything from 2000 and later. We have had a slew of great remakes, animated flicks, trilogies and fantasy films with outstanding special effects and scripting that is like no other decade proceeding it. Granted there have been a few bombs, but the 80's and 90's offered so many B for bogus titles that even the A's couldn't make up for that mass of overbearing rubbish.

Sadly, the future is bleak as I sense all of the film ideas and possibilities have/are being done with no room for creativity and new experience. There is only so much material writers and producers can do before all the material has been used before.

70's - I was young and innocent and care free.