“Enemy” - Villeneuve & Gyllenhaal

→ in
Tools    

The picture was made in 2013, and released in the U.S. in 2014, however we just saw it the other night. If you haven’t seen it, there will be spoilers in the following.

The film right away pulls the viewer into a noir-like, dark mystery thriller mood. A college history professor, who leads a rigid routine life, discovers a look-alike while watching a DVD. He pursues the double until they eventually meet, which provides the basis for the film.

There are plenty of twists and turns, along with confusing subplots. Some of the action is not believable. For example if one were to meet up with his doppelganger, the first thought would not likely be how he could bed the other man’s wife. So as a result of illogic, the feeling starts to creep in that what we’re seeing is not really what’s happening.

In the last 10 minutes the film seems to settle into a measure of normalcy with the remaining characters. One’s thoughts turn to how this will end. At that point we’re startled by a shocking scene that literally comes out of left field, then the movie quickly finishes. After initial surprise, my very next emotion was that we’d been duped by a Kafkaesque ending-- a Dada ripoff.

The feeling still lingers that this was a mediocre story masked by art. My guess is that Villeneuve simply decided to take the base story (the novel The Double by Saramago) as a small quirky project, and turn it into a film. It was probably a labor of love, since it was only to gross $3.5M.

There have been no end to interpretations of the screen play, and my feeling is that when there are many interpretations, none of them must be very good. The director hasn’t offered much by way of interpretation. My own notion is that Gyllenhaal’s character, Adam, is imagining his double as an alter ego. Since the two were never seen together by anyone else, the story seems to be saying that much of the story is not real. The ending might represent Adam’s resignation of the banality of his life.

This film will be highly appreciated by a select group, especially those who already feel that Denis Villeneuve is a brilliant auteur. Most will find the movie confusing, and in the end, incoherent. Doc’s rating: 6.5 of 10.

~Doc

Amazing film. Given it's ratings on many movie sites, I would be temped to say it's one of the most underrated films this century.

It took me 2 or 3 watches to understand it fully. Many people don't like that trait in movies. But I'd give it 9 out of 10.

WARNING: "spoiler for Enemy" spoilers below
The many references to arachnids = how our lead sees women and the life choices (marriage, mortgage, family) he has to commit to. He feels entrapped by the arachnid and it's web. He's an extremely confused / possibly mentally ill person trying to make sense of what role he's supposed to be playing in life

I hugely related to it. Maybe that's why I loved it so much.

movies can be okay...
Great film. It got a
from me. Probably my favourite Villeneuve.
I too, would give "Enemy" the same rating, but I still say "Incendies" is his masterpiece, so far.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I've seen this about 3 times now. It's beautiful. Straight up ****ing beautiful. Villeneuve may be right up there in my top 10 directors. He just makes my jaw drop each time (granted I haven't seen Sicario, or rhter, I half saw it. I fell asleep - not the film's fault. I had a brutal day).

Actually. I like the Villeneuve Gyllenhaal pair up, if it's a pair up on the scale of Scorcese and DiCaprio, Refn and Gosling. TOTALLY on board with a Villeneuve Gyllenhaal thing. They suit each other. And actually, Gyllenhaal scored with Duncan Jones. I LOVED Moon, so I was amped for Source Code, and for me, it didn't disappoint. I kiiiiinda was a bit like "do we realy need a romantic aspect" but I got why towards the end. And it did gut me a bit. I'm going to rewatch it soon again as...well...well **** it why not. My free time is my free time and I have cats that exect my arse on the sofa in JUST SO position. Might as well make it as pleasant for myself as I can since I know at some point I'll need to relieve myself but can't because seriously pinned by felines in hardcore snooze mode, which, I don't know how. The amount of screaming women in the movies I watch should disturb any creature, but not these two tyrants.