Tools    

MILK

DIRECTED BY: Gus Van Sant
WRITTEN BY: Dustin Lance Black
STARRING: Sean Penn, James Brolin, Emile Hirsch,
James Franco, Diego Luna and Victor Garber
U.S. RELEASE DATE: November 26, 2008
ON-LINE TRAILER: HERE

Telling the true story of the unlikely rise, inspiring success and cowardly assassination of the first openly Gay man to win major public office in the United States (maybe the planet), Gus Van Sant's Milk is almost here. When I first heard there was a Harvey Milk biopic in the works, my initial reaction was resistance to the very idea. Not because the story isn't compelling as Hell and important to remember, but because there is already a near-perfect documentary on the subject, Rob Epstein's Oscar-winning The Times of Harvey Milk (1984). Whenever I feel like getting angry all over again and having a good cry, I reach for The Times of Harvey Milk.

For those who don't know who Harvey was, here's the quick sketch. Harvey was born in New York in 1930. He graduated from college, joined the Navy, and after the service became a High School teacher in New York City. In 1972 he moved to San Francisco with his partner, Scott Smith, and together they opened a camera store in the Castro District of the city, which was becoming a haven for openly Gay men and women. Harvey became involved in that community as a leader, earning the nickname "The Mayor of Castro Street". Milk ran for the position of City Supervisor twice, but while he had the overwhelming support of his neighborhood he never won enough general voter support. But Harvey and the homosexual community did help elect the new Mayor in 1976, the progressively liberal George Moscone. In the following election of 1977, a referendum changed the Supervisor positions from city-wide elections to District elections. This allowed each community to directly elect the person they thought best represented them. Harvey won easily, and became the first openly Gay person to win a major public office.

Apart from the historical nature of the win, Harvey had almost immediate success in his new job, including getting involved directly with the fight against California's Proposition 6, a statewide ballot initiative from arch-conservative Senator John Briggs that sought to make it illegal for open homosexuals to teach in public schools. Thanks in part to Harvey's enthusiastic campaigning and public sparring with Briggs and other conservatives, the Proposition was defeated in the election of 1978.

Harvey's often humorous but always pointed public crusades made waves in San Francisco too, including with another City Supervisor who was elected at the same time as Milk, former fireman Dan White, who was less than tolerant of homosexuals. A strange and catastrophic string of events in late November of 1978, weeks after the triumphant defeat of the Briggs Initiative, found White abruptly resign then try to get his seat back, before sneaking into City Hall on the morning of November 27th and shooting dead both Mayor Moscone and Supervisor Milk. After a controversial trial where White's defense team trotted out what became known as the "Twinkie Defense", claiming a combination of stress and large quantities of junk food left him in a state of mind he couldn't quite control (no, seriously) and despite the audio tape of White's cold and matter-of-fact confession, Dan was convicted only of voluntary manslaughter for the two slayings, and given a sentence of seven years in prison. Years later as a direct result of the Dan White verdict, a statewide Proposition was passed that sought to abolish such silly "diminished capacity" defenses for crimes like murder.

So, as you can see, a pretty amazing story, and The Times of Harvey Milk is a must-see for all of that and more. In Van Sant's movie Sean Penn stars as Harvey Milk and Josh Brolin is Dan White. After spending this new century consciously moving away from the mainstream success of Good Will Hunting and Finding Forrester with the more experimental and stripped-down projects Gerry, Elephant, Last Days and Paranoid Park, Gus Van Sant has returned to the fore with an important biopic headlined by an Oscar-winning actor in a prime release spot for major awards consideration. It's a project absolutely loaded with potential. Can't wait to see if they pulled it off.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I like most of his stuff, although I wasn't a fan of Last Days. I will certainly give this one a shot.

I've been on a classic film kick, as of late, and, once I get that out of my system (yeah, right), I will get back into some good contemporary stuff...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Except for Last Days I love most of Van Sant's films, both the experimental ones and the more traditional ones. This one sounds really interesting....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I Just Watched The Trailer For This Yesterday, It Does Look Sorta Good.

I saw the trailer for this yesterday, and I honestly think it looks good...
So I'll be keeping an eye out for this

Telling from the true story of the unlikely rise, inspiring success and cowardly assassination of the first openly Gay man to win major public office in the United States (maybe the planet), Gus Van Sant's Milk is almost here. When I first heard there was a Harvey Milk biopic in the works, my initial reaction was resistance to the very idea. Not because the story isn't compelling as Hell and important to remember, but because there is already a near-perfect documentary on the subject, Rob Epstein's Oscar-winning The Times of Harvey Milk (1984). Whenever I feel like getting angry all over again and having a good cry, I reach for The Times of Harvey Milk.
To tell the truth, I've only found out about Milk a few months ago and had planned on watching the documentary but put it off for a while. Well thanks to this thread I hurried up and watched it and was naturally extremely moved. So I'm very apprehensive about this film (which I had no idea was being made so thanks for the heads up by the way) as it may be another Rescue Dawn (which, I'm sure I've mentioned before, left me stone cold, as opposed to the fantastic Little Dieter needs to fly)....but! If there's anyone who can make something special out of it, it's Gus van Sant. So, fingers crossed.

'Milk' premiere brings stars to SF's Castro
By EVELYN NIEVES

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — It was only fitting that Milk, the film about Harvey Milk's life and death, premiere Tuesday night in the Castro.

Milk, San Francisco's first openly gay leader who was slain thirty years ago, used to call himself "the Mayor of Castro Street," referring to the main drag through the neighborhood he represented on the Board of Supervisors and the center of the city's gay and lesbian community.

The world premiere of his biopic brought considerable star power to Milk's beloved Castro Theatre, including director Gus Van Sant and stars Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch and Diego Luna. The film follows Milk's rise to office and his and Mayor George Moscone's assassination at City Hall by fellow Supervisor Dan White in 1978.

Van Sant said he had been talking about making this film for eighteen years.

"He's an American hero," Van Sant said. "He's a great example of a man representing his community and his city."

Milk received another tribute earlier in the day, when a historic streetcar featured in the film was dedicated to him. The supervisor had been a champion of public transportation.

Tuesday night's premiere also brought out many of Milk's old friends who helped usher in the gay rights movement that has led, a generation later, to a fight over the right of same-sex couples to marry.

Gay rights activist Cleve Jones, played in the film by Emile Hirsch, said Milk would have been thrilled at the film but angry that the fight over civil rights continued. He pointed across the street, where hundreds were rallying against Proposition 8, a November 4th ballot measure that would rewrite the California constitution to deny same-sex couples the right to marry.

"Harvey would be angry," Jones said, "and he'd still be fighting."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5htSafNz0eHe3JCJzNN8NQbyGXqLAD943UN2O0]

This does look interesting. I see that GVS has just agreed to direct The Kool-Aid Acid Test, which I mention because the screenplay is being written by Dustin Lance Black, who wrote Milk.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I think it is officially time to get excited about this.

Looks like the buzz is growing for this. I received an email from the LA Times Envelope that is giving this Oscar buzz; it's at 100% on rottentomatoes (but that will drop, it's early); and I heard a radio DJ on Air America talking about how great he thought it was.

Sean Penn looks like a shoo-in for a nomination.

it also looks incredibly timed -- proposition 8 just went down in California, and the prejudice of 1977 doesn't seem so different from 2008. Although, in a way, it gives me hope since we have come somewhat farther in that we wouldn't fire a gay schoolteacher (would we?) and we would have back then. So maybe in 25 or so years, gay marriage will no longer be an issue...

I wonder if this film will have any impact on this issue. And will the film get more support because of all this going on right now?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
It looks good. I will probably see it.
I thought you were against gays?

Welcome to the human race...
I thought you were against gays?
So? Just because a film's content is opposed to an individual's personal beliefs does not necessarily mean they will automatically dismiss said film as "uninteresting". Atheists can read holy books and theists can read The God Delusion if they're interested enough.

Milk had a red carpet premiere here in Portland a couple weeks ago, with the director (and Portlander) Gus van Sant in attendance as well as actors Sean Penn and James Franco. It was a benefit for a local charity here called Outside In, which serves homeless youth and low-income adults in the area, and which Gus has been involved with for years (see Van Sant's film Mala Noche and My Own Private Idaho). I wasn't able to score tickets to that one, but it does open here proper today and I'll be seeing it tonight.

Review to follow, I'm sure.

But what about...

The Gay Mafia?