The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
54. Platoon.
That song plays at one point during the film.

53. The line is from A Sinbad film (I goggled the quote, don’t judge me)
No idea what it could be referencing War Movie wise.

I forgot the opening line.
56. Ivan's Childhood - Tarkovsky went through an extraordinary period in the 1960s and 1970s where he made films like Solaris, Stalker, Mirror and Andrei Rublev. I've seen all of those, but also made during this period was Ivan's Childhood, which has eluded me up until this point. Something tells me it won't be the only film regarding childhood, Russia and the Second World War that appears on this countdown. Added to my list of "must see" movies.

55. Black Hawk Down - I saw this when it first came out because of the buzz surrounding it, but I didn't get to really appreciate it before I watched the extended edition, in a better mindset for the film it was - a very exacting, brutally honest depiction of the confused yet paradoxically organised chaos that makes today's warfare the way it is. It pays very special attention to detail, and as such isn't the kind of film that has three or four especially memorable moments - it's an accumulation of terror, blood, bullets, explosions and yelling, along with death. Based on the book "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War" - Modern war is frenetic, fast and precise. Very different to anything that preceded it.

Still only 2 films in the 46 reveals I voted for - a good mix of mainstream and non-mainstream though.

Seen : 28/46
I'd never even heard of : 11/46
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 7/46

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Ivan's Childhood is brilliant. And was my number 11. Such tender film-making for a war film.

I tried re-watching Black Hawk Down again a few years ago and had to turn it off. It's just a series of action sequences.

54. Platoon.
That song plays at one point during the film.
My only thought was that it's too low for Platoon but who knows. It's also in Coming Home.
I'm no good at these things, but I will be surprised if it's not Platoon just because that's what immediately came to mind. But maybe that was the point?

I saw BHD once, it's was ok but kinda boring like most action films where that's all that happens.

Obviously not seen the other one.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Jojo Rabbit was #89 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s, Black Hawk Down snuck onto the original MoFo Top 100 that was compiled in 2010 at #93, and The Hurt Locker was #6 on the MoFo Top 100 Films Directed by Women.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Ed, sorry about your godfather's passing. Prayers and comfort for your family.
Very kind of you, thank you!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen either; I do remember starting Black Hawk Down back when it came out, but for whatever reason never finished.

Countdown List Watched 17 out of 46 (36.96%)
4. All Quiet on the Western Front (2022) (#66)
14. Johnny Got His Gun (1971) (#97)
23. Mrs. Miniver (1942) (#85)

Rectification List

#54 #54
87 points, 7 lists
Pan's Labyrinth
Director

Guillermo del Toro, 2006

Starring

Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdú, Sergi López, Doug Jones

#53 #53
91 points, 7 lists
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Director

Peter Weir, 2003

Starring

Russell Crowe, Paul Bettany, James D'Arcy, Robert Pugh

HINTS BREAKDOWN

54: Referencing White Rabbit was also a reference to Alice in Wonderland, which is about a girl discovering a fantasy world.

53: The quote is from a scene in Sinbad: legend of the Seven Seas, in which the crew finds the "end of the world," as in one side of the world.

Apologies for not sending in a list here. War isn't really my genre but I've got to say that I like the look of this list so far.

I suspect that my positioning of films would be a lot different, but it's cool to see quite a variety from all sorts of eras and filmmakers being represented.

Seen: 14/48

100. Red Angel (1966, Yasuzô Masumura)
99. The Burmese Harp (1956, Kon Ichikawa)
98. Ashes and Diamonds (1958, Andrzej Wadja)
97. Johnny Got His Gun (1971, Dalton Trumbo)
96. War and Peace, Part IV: Pierre Bezukhov (1967, Sergei Bondarchuk)
95. Napoleon (1927, Abel Gance)
94. The Tin Drum (1979, Volker Schlöndorff)
93. The Hill (1965, Sidney Lumet)
92. Zero Dark Thirty (2012, Kathryn Bigelow)

91. Hotel Rwanda (2004, Terry George)

90. Forbidden Games (1952, René Clément)
89. Shame (1968, Ingmar Bergman)
88. Twelve O'Clock High (1949, Henry King)
87. Enemy at the Gates (2001, Jean-Jacques Annuad)
86. Good Morning, Vietnam (1987, Barry Levinson)
85. Mrs. Miniver (1942, William Wyler)
84. Tropic Thunder (2008, Ben Stiller)

83. A Man Escaped (1956, Robert Bresson)

82. The Train (1964, John Frankenheimer)
81. Kingdom of Heaven (2005, Ridley Scott)

80. A Matter of Life and Death (1946, Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger)

79. Wings (1927, William A. Wellman)
78. Breaker Morant (1980, Bruce Beresford)
77. Three Kings (1999, David O. Russell)

76. Fail-Safe (1964, Sidney Lumet)
75. War and Peace, Part III: The Year 1812 (1967, Sergei Bondarchuk)
74. Shoah (1985, Claude Lanzmann)
73. Sergeant York (1941, Howard Hanks)
72. Battle of Britain (1969, Guy Hamilton)
71. War and Peace, Part I: Andrei Bolkonsky (1965, Sergei Bondarchuk)

70. The Caine Mutiny (1954, Edward Dymtryk)
69. The Killing Fields (1984, Roland Joffé)
68. Ballad of a Soldier (1959, Grigoriy Chukhray)
67. Hacksaw Ridge (2016, Mel Gibson)
66. All Quiet on the Western Front (2022, Edward Berger)

65. Judgment at Nuremburg (1961, Stanley Kramer)
64. The General (1926, Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman)

63. Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970, Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku, Toshio Masuda)
62. First Blood (1982, Ted Kotcheff)

61. Kanal (1957, Andrzej Wadja)

60. Letters from Iwo Jima (2006, Clint Eastwood)
59. Fires on the Plain (1959, Kon Ichikawa)
58. The Hurt Locker (2008, Kathryn Bigelow)

57. Jojo Rabbit (2019, Taika Waititi)

56. Ivan's Childhood (1962, Andrey Tarkovsky)

55. Black Hawk Down (2001, Ridley Scott)

54. Pan's Labyrinth (2006, Guillermo del Toro)

53. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003, Peter Weir)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Napoleonic wars are doing surprisingly well here.

I like Pan's Labyrinth a lot but don't really think of it as a war movie.

I've been a big fan of Russell Crowe since his appearance in Gladiator, so of course I eagerly went to the theater to see Master and Commander upon its release. I was treated to a really spectacular film with great performances and gorgeous visuals and while it was never a big personal favorite, I've always been fond of it.

I don't think it made my ballot for the 2000s countdown, but I was really happy when it sneaked onto that list at #100, only to be disappointed when votes were recounted and it got cut. When I saw that it was eligible for this countdown, there was no doubt that it would get my vote and I put it at #10.

Here's what I wrote about it when I rewatched it for the 2000s countdown:

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Paul Weir, 2003)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/06/2021
Rewatch: Yes.

So here we are with another movie that I've always really liked yet never seem to actually watch. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen it in last 18 years. And, like Frailty, after seeing it today I have no idea why that is.

The movie is a near flawless experience. It's visually beautiful, it's exciting, it's funny in parts and tragic in others, and with all the excitement and tension, it clips along at a brisk pace. And while the excitement of watching battle at sea is plus, the thing that really draws me in to this film is the human element. Sure Russell Crowe's much respected "Lucky" Captain Jack Aubrey commands the ship with much authority (though the level of respect from the crew is a bit annoying at times) and he's quite the heroic figure, but we are never allowed to forget that he's a person with emotions and attachments. And that human element is no more apparent than it is with his interactions with real-life friend Paul Bettany as the ship's doctor. The film is near devoid of romantic elements (as it should be, this is a crew of men out at sea) but the genuine platonic chemistry between the two friends makes their quieter scenes together my favorite parts of it.

Definitely a highly recommended watch and I hope it makes the countdown, though I'm no closer to deciding whether or not it'll get my vote.

+
I haven't seen Pan's Labryinth.

My Ballot:
6. Tropic Thunder (#84)
7. Jojo Rabbit (#57)
10. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (#53)
12. Hotel Rwanda (#91)
13. The General (#64)
25. In the Army Now (One Pointer)

Pan's Labyrinth didn't make my ballot, but it is a very well done movie. It's incredibly easy to get drawn into the fantasy experience, although I wish there was a little more of it and a little less of the Fascist story. 96/100.

This is what I wrote about Master and Commander on my list: The Emmerichian spectacle of this superbly-acted war film makes up for any negligence in character development 78/100.

The Napoleonic wars are doing surprisingly well here.

I like Pan's Labyrinth a lot but don't really think of it as a war movie.

And yet, Napoleon didn't make it very high at all...

Reply to Topic