Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Whiplash // 2014

If this is not the best movie of last year, then I don't know what is. I'm not sure if I really can give this the top spot, but it's defiantly one of the best movie experiences I've had in the last 5 years or so. Holy f*ck this was intense. Don't even know what to say... I guess I'll just put it this way:

Just watched it... I'm speachless!

Master of My Domain

This movie was brilliant, has the perfect combination of sex, lies, murder, and plot twists to keep your eyes on the screen.

I give this movie:

/ 5
Dunno which movie you're talking about but I'll give rep just for the Cage heads.

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Too bad this is the only film that actor Charles Laughton ever directed, because this one is a winner! I thought I had seen all of this as a kid, but turns out I'd seen only the last third. I'm glad I watched it again because I missed a lot: There is no surprise from the start that Robert Mitchum is a murderer disguised as a traveling minister and that he preys on widows for their money, then murders them. He then comes across Shelley Winters, a recent widow with two children. The oldest, a boy, is on to Mitchum's game and so starts a cat-and-mouse between the children and the "minister" as he stalks them for hidden money that their late father left them.

MItchum has rarely been more menacing and there are many tension-filled scenes where you don't know what he's going to do with the children. Laughton chose (rightly in this case) to film this movie in black-and-white because I think color would have ruined the eeriness of scenes of the deep South, particularly where the children are floating in a small boat down the river, and many of the animals that prowl the shores come out to watch them. There is symbolism, both obvious and not, One instance is where their boat is seen floating, observed from above through a spider's web, and it seems as if they are drifting through and out of it, ala escaping the web of the minister. But are they? The framing is awesome also, something I rarely go on about in movies. There is a bit in the movie where someone is standing in front of the window of a diner named "Spoons" and they are blocking the first "s" and the second one is covered up by the frame. Whether intentional or not, it's still funny. There are also fades from dark and light (especially in the last fifteen minutes or so) that are superbly used. Lillian Gish bookends the movie as a force of good, an elderly woman who takes in orphans. She is well-read in the Bible but is not above putting a load of buckshot in an enemy.

Hard to impress how much I love this movie but I promise it's well-worth a viewing. You may or may not love it (some critics thought it was a bit ham-fisted) but give it try.

Whiplash (2014) - Damien Chazelle

- This movie is the BEST movie of the 2000's without a doubt. The most intense experience I've ever seen on a screen and two of the most admirable and astounding performance of all-time (no kidding it's f*cking true). When I don't feel very well, my 2 choices are Music or Movie with Whiplash I got both with some incredible musical solos and some epic piece of music. A new favorite in my top 10 and this movie kinda reminds me of, when I first watch American History X and completely fell in love with it so it wouldn't surprise me if it was to go even higher on my top 10. Big thanks to Damien Chazelle for this awesome movie night. My #1 pick for the oscars.

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Nice write-up, I agree with your thoughts. You should check out Cape Fear (1962) for another great Mitchum performance (who's of the same sinister nature).

He's talking about Body Double.
Yeah I was...For some reason the images break sometimes .

Thanks, hello101. Yes, I've seen the original Cape Fear, and it's mainly because of Mitchum's performance that I prefer it over the remake (although I love that movie also!). Both Mitchum movies are just oozing with evil moodiness.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

1 karate sound effect out of 5

I was surprised by how lackluster it was, though watching Bruce Lee fight is like watching karate ballet.

The King of Comedy (1982)
A serious movie but still one great black comedy...

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

1 karate sound effect out of 5

I was surprised by how lackluster it was, though watching Bruce Lee fight is like watching karate ballet.
Aw, that's a shame. For me, Enter The Dragon is everything an action movie should be and more.

Sonny Chiba's movies from the same era were better than Bruce Lee's in my opinion. I think the main reason Bruce Lee is so famous is because he was the first to bring it to America. Bruce Lee does have a strong personal presence though, and that certainly adds to his charm and inherently the charm of his films.

P.S. Bruce Lee doesn't do Karate.

Sweet Sixteen Not interested. I give a 0 star rating.

I tried watching 15 minutes and it annoyed the hell out of me.
The dialogue kept becoming really quiet and/or unintelligible and after that 15 minutes I was frustrated enough to give up.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Communion (1976)

Fear can be grotesque. And it can be totally predictable.

Sweet Sixteen Not interested. I give a 0 star rating.

I tried watching 15 minutes and it annoyed the hell out of me.
The dialogue kept becoming really quiet and/or unintelligible and after that 15 minutes I was frustrated enough to give up.
*Waiting for Camo to see this.*

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
After years with Tolkien on screen it was so unique.
Creating unique beginnings is an art.
Creating unique ends is something more.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Whiplash (2014) - Damien Chazelle

- This movie is the BEST movie of the 2000's without a doubt. The most intense experience I've ever seen on a screen and two of the most admirable and astounding performance of all-time (no kidding it's f*cking true). When I don't feel very well, my 2 choices are Music or Movie with Whiplash I got both with some incredible musical solos and some epic piece of music. A new favorite in my top 10 and this movie kinda reminds me of, when I first watch American History X and completely fell in love with it so it wouldn't surprise me if it was to go even higher on my top 10. Big thanks to Damien Chazelle for this awesome movie night. My #1 pick for the oscars.
Another fan! It's ****ing epic!!!

Just watched Whiplash...Holy ****. Hoooolllyyy shitttt. I'm sorry for swearing, but my god how good is this movie!!!

I was already sold in the first 20 minutes. Loved it. Watching this I truly felt anxious and on edge the whole way through. Absolute perler of a movie.

I'm recommending this to everyone I know.

5 / 5