Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Bob Marley: One Love (2024)

If you're at all interested in watching this, it would probably be a good idea to go and watch it in Dolby Cinema, because it will look and sound better than probably any other place where you could watch it.
As a biopic, it doesn't really reinvent the genre, but it does give us a pretty compelling look at the life of a real music legend - and his life really wouldn't be best suited for the Baz Luhrmann treatment, anyway. Kingsley Ben-Adir and Lashana Lynch do a fantastic job as Bob and Rita Marley; British actors tend to be very good with all sorts of different accents and they sounded like they really got that Jamaican accent down pretty much perfectly (it may be somewhat difficult to follow the language if you aren't used to it).
Perhaps the best compliment is that I almost wish this could have been a mini-series instead of a movie; as a film with a running time of barely over an hour and a half, it feels like it has had to compress a lot of stuff into a very short overview of a man's life.
But Marley's message in defense of freedom and human rights is definitely something we need more of these days - so I hope you'll be able to watch it, too.

SF = Zzz

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Is there a minus two Popcorns? minus

Wow....can you ever miss this one. It's Lisa Frankenstein. This dog don't hunt. Vaguely hinting at Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder doing Edward Scissorhands, it's a Frankenstein make-over that lands like a pancake in a greasy puddle.

The Power of The Dog - (2021)

Noded a few times but managed to pierce through.

1st Rewatch...My first rewatch of this film since its original theatrical run. This overbaked thriller follows a couple who move into a house on Long Island where a man brutally murdered his wife and three children a year ago. The fact that this is a fact-based story doesn't change the fact that this uneven meeting between The Exorcist and The Shining just gets dumber and dumber as it progresses. The performances are over the top, especially Rod Steiger as a tortured priest.

1st Rewatch...This disturbing and deeply moving fact-based stories is anchored by the Oscar-worthy performances by Robert Downey Jr and Jamie Foxx in the lead roles. Downey plays Steve Lopez, a writer for the LA Times who finds himself obsessed with a homeless man (Foxx) he encounters in a park playing the violin. Research by Lopez reveals that this man was a classical cellist who dropped out of Julliard after a meltdown that led to his current state. This movie runs roughshod with my emotions because as much as Lopez wants to help this guy, the guy really doesn't want any help. The performances by the stars male this appointment viewing all by themselves.

Crossroads (2002)

Dont ask why I watched this...and I certainly dont recommend watching it yourself unless you absolutely love Britney Spears. Its a Hallmark type of movie with dumb dialogue and dumb plot points. More acting chops than I expected though with Zoey Saldana, Justin Long, Dan Aykroyd, and others.

The Marvels - audio commentary

The audio commentary for The Marvels features director and co-writer Nia DaCosta and VFX production supervisor Tara DeMarco and was recorded roughly around the time the movie was being released to theaters last November.
I've really enjoyed pretty much all of the recent audio commentaries for the most recent MCU movies, and this was no exception, although I wish DaCosta had gone even further in discussing some of the underlying themes in the movie - but she does mention how certain situations are clearly meant to express a very anti-colonialist and anti-imperialist sentiment (not that it was that hard to notice it while watching the movie for the first time).
DaCosta and DeMarco do spend a good amount of time breaking down the VFX for the movie, noting that almost all of the production involved practical sets, rather than CG sets, and also having used either sets or location shooting for much of the movie. This was also one of the first CBM to make extensive use of "The Volume", as that new innovation in VFX is being called.
It's really heartening to hear an upcoming indie director express so much delight in what was involved in making her first big-budget movie and how much appreciation she has for nearly everyone in the crew (not to mention the cast, of course). And DeMarco's contribution goes a long way towards clearing almost any question one might have had about the VFX in the movie.

"Introducing The Sewer Boys" =

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Fallen Leaves (2023, Aki Kaurismäki)

Simple but captivating love story from the Finnish master of tragicomedy. The love for ordinary, forgotten people and their joys and misfortunes shines through, as the film delicately straddles the line between bittersweet optimism and outright depression but never succumbs to the latter. We follow the characters as they go on about their lives working (and getting laid off from) tedious blue collar jobs, afflicted with loneliness, alcoholism or financial problems, spending their time after work in karaoke bars or at home with the constant barrage of news about the war in Ukraine as their daily soundtrack. But the warmth of humanity is always there, as is Kaurismäki's lovely sense of humor and irony-laced dialogue. I was just in love with the vibe of this film—we definitely need more movies like this in this insanely callous, cynical world we live in.

I've been waiting for this movie for a long time, and glad to see you rated it highly. Hope I get to see it before I croak. And Ken Loach's movie. Maybe Mike Leigh's un-retiring, too? The others pretended to.