Neo-Noir Hall of Fame

Tools    

Neo-Noir Hall of Fame

Open to Films released in or after 1960 that fit the Neo-noir countdown eligibility criteria.

It was time. Not my time, but fate's time. My plan is to finish before the February 25 deadline for the countdown, so the pendulum will stop swinging on Friday, February 16, 2024. You have been warned. Yes, I have been warned as well.

So as we swing the pendulum on this, reach deep within the murky waters of this sub-genre and send me your noms.

MEMBERS REVIEWS

GulfportDoc - BALLOT RECEIVED
Red Rock West
Body Heat
Shallow Grave
Sin City
Nightcrawler
Tightrope
Le Cercle Rouge
La Haine

Holden Pike
Tightrope
Shallow Grave
Red Rock West
Sin City
Nightcrawler

KeyserCorleone - BALLOT RECEIVED
Nightcrawler
Sin City
Body Heat
Tightrope
La Haine
Le Cercle Rouge
Shallow Grave
Red Rock West

PHOENIX74 - BALLOT RECEIVED
Nightcrawler
La Haine
Sin City
Body Heat
Shallow Grave
Tightrope
Red Rock West
Le Cercle Rouge

Siddon - BALLOT RECEIVED
Sin City
Nightcrawler
Shallow Grave
La Haine
Tightrope
Le Cercle Rouge
Body Heat
Red Rock West

Thief - BALLOT RECEIVED
Red Rock West
Shallow Grave
Tightrope
Nightcrawler
La Haine
Body Heat
Le Cercle Rouge
Sin City

Torgo - BALLOT RECEIVED
Shallow Grave
Nightcrawler
Tightrope
La Haine
Body Heat
Sin City
Red Rock West
Le Cercle Rouge

Wyldesyde19 - BALLOT RECEIVED
Sin City
Body Heat
Nightcrawler
La Haine
Tightrope
Red Rock West
Le Cercle Rouge
Shallow Grave

NOMINATIONS

Body Heat
(Lawrence Kasdan, 1981)
GulfportDoc

La Haine
(Mathieu Kassovitz, 1955)
Torgo

Le Cercle Rouge
(Jean-Pierre Melville, 1970)
Siddon

Nightcrawler
(Dan Gilroy, 2014)
PHOENIX74

Red Rock West
(John Dahl, 1993)
Thief

Shallow Grave
(Danny Boyle, 1994)
Holden Pike

Sin City
(Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller, 2005)
KeyserCorleone

Tightrope
(Richard Tuggle, 1984)
Wyldesyde19

I forgot the opening line.
Got my nomination in 20 minutes after this one opened - a new record for me!

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Already have 4 participants (5, including me) and 3 nominations so we're very much into it.

I'm in but I want to see what direction you guys are going in before I submit my nom
The water's fine

Ok, I'm gonna give this maybe one or two more days tops, so make sure you let me know you're in if you haven't, and have your nominations ready by the weekend.

I've been making a preliminary list during which several things occurred to me.

In practice the labeling of neo-noir films is far broader than what defines classic noir. It's almost as if any crime film can be a candidate for a neo-noir distinction, which of course should not be so. And some of the ones classified as being "neo-noirs" have me scratching my head.

On the flip side several films that I consider to be neo-noir, like for example Heat (1995), with Pacino and De Niro, is not listed as neo-noir in any of the places I've checked.

At any rate I'll be submitting my list before too long.

Ok, I'm gonna give this maybe one or two more days tops, so make sure you let me know you're in if you haven't, and have your nominations ready by the weekend.
I'm confused. Are we supposed to send you our one favorite neo-noir? And then also send a list of our 25 ranked neo-noirs?

I'm confused. Are we supposed to send you our one favorite neo-noir? And then also send a list of our 25 ranked neo-noirs?
It is confusing, as there's two Noir HoFs right now and also two Noir Countdowns...You all can blame me for the duel noir idea stuff

This thread is a Hall of Fame (HoF) just like the Film Noir HoF IV which just ended...and the Last Chance...Film Noir HoF V which just started.

It is confusing, as there's two Noir HoFs right now and also two Noir Countdowns...You all can blame me for the duel noir idea stuff

This thread is a Hall of Fame (HoF) just like the Film Noir HoF IV which just ended...and the Last Chance...Film Noir HoF V which just started.
Exactly!

Just to be sure, you're wanting only 1 nomination per person sent to you; and that nomination can't be a noir that has won before. Is that correct?
Just one nom for everyone to watch. Then we all watch everyone's recommendation/nomination and share a review.

Reveal today? Love to see what gets nommed.
Are you in, or are you going to wait to see what's up?

Just waiting to see what's up.
I'm liking the nominations so far. There's two I've seen, but it's been a while so a rewatch wouldn't hurt; then there are two I've been meaning to watch for a long time; and finally there's one I hadn't heard of. So a very diverse bag for me, so far.