Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Guest (Wingard, 2014)

I was kind of on board when it was taking the "cool action hero" persona and making it villainous, but the jarring turn about 40 minutes in just throws character motivations to the wind. Abhorrent pacing. No amount of leaning into the absurdity can redeem it. That's coming from somebody who usually enjoys jumping the shark. Oh, and the soundtrack is not only out of place, but so obviously lifted from Drive that it's pathetic. No, it doesn't sound like the 80s. It sounds like nostalgia for the 80s.

A genuinely frustrating movie that squanders its promise to the point where it makes you regret ever giving it credit in the first place.
The whole movie is 80's, not just the soundtrack. Drive did the soundtrack well, but the film didn't feel like it belonged in the decade. The Guest does and I'm not so sure about the turn being 'jarring' it seemed inevitable to me.

I really liked this one and believe it to be an underrated gem. Sorry you didn't like it, but it's a solid
for me.

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Departure (2015)

Implausibly well-dressed gay teenager and his mum who's on the verge of a breakdown pack up their house in France and get involved with a troubled local youth.

The director's first full-length film and it shows. It's very pretty and there are some really good bits, but it just doesn't sustain the running length. There needed to be more tension or more conflict or more change in the characters.

Patriots Day

(Peter Berg + Mark Wahlberg)'s third installment after Lone Survivor and Deep Water Horizon based on true events which I really liked. It is based on bomb explosion on April 15th, 2013 Boston marathon.
Liked the direction. Pacing was perfect for me. Action Sequences were also very good. Great cast. Mark Wahlberg was very good in it. But apart from Wahlberg others (John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, J.K Simmons) did not get a chance to shine that much in this movie. (I hate it when J.K Simmons fades away in the blurry background . He was great in the gun fire sequence though.) I believe this movie was focused more on the incident and less on particular characters.
I don't think this movie has much of a replay value though as the characters were not that interesting and that is the only issue I have. Apart from that I think it is a fantastic movie. I am going to give it an A.

The whole movie is 80's, not just the soundtrack. Drive did the soundtrack well, but the film didn't feel like it belonged in the decade. The Guest does and I'm not so sure about the turn being 'jarring' it seemed inevitable to me.

I really liked this one and believe it to be an underrated gem. Sorry you didn't like it, but it's a solid
for me.
WARNING: "" spoilers below

It's around 40 minutes in where the daughter who is so enamored with the guest wakes up, hears bits of a call he's making, and instantly becomes the skeptical investigative type that within moments contacts the military and sends the movie a thousand miles away. It happens kind of out of nowhere. Ya know, a typical movie would've maybe shown the characters it would introduce later early on, even cryptically (picking through the ashes of the fire the guest used to escape), so it didn't feel abrupt when the movie took it that direction. The least they could've done is made the girl skeptical from the beginning so her shift in character didn't feel like such a forced plot device.

It's not even just a plotting or pacing issue, because the movie then begins the first of several tonal changes. It goes from some localized, tense thriller to an over the top shoot em up, later to an extremely contrived slasher. It just feels like all of this could've been handled in a better way.

Also, maybe it's because I'm kind of familiar with the 80s revival in EDM that it's so familiar. Kavinsky, the guy who got launched from Drive, kind of kicked off a trend of "retrowave" that focused on 80s synth work. That makes this score inseparable because it's still within that relatively narrow genre. I didn't think the score was especially well used either. Just kind of thrown in all over the place, most of the time where it didn't compliment the scene so much as draw attention as to what significance they intended for it to have. Just kind of puzzling.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm down for friendly discussion, but I don't think anybody needs to change anybody's mind. I'm sure I adore plenty of movies that you despise. That's what's beautiful about art.

“I was cured, all right!”

Favorite super hero movie!
Split hits the theater this weekend here in my country. Hopes that it's at least half good like this or The Sixth Sense!

Hell! This is not for everyone! Very extreme! I liked!
A Visceral coming-of-age in a depressive way with a lot of blood.

Very great movie!
First time with Yasuzô Masumura. I'll check it out his other movies.

Thanks to the guys who post this here!!

Unregistered User
The Little Foxes (1941) -

Goodnight Mommy (2014) -
+
I Wish (2011) -

The Gift (2015) -

Timbuktu (2014) -

The Jinx: The Life and Times of Robert Durst (2015) -

Legend in my own mind
They did change his character though, in the cartoon he was more like Gaston, a brute who couldn't read. Here, he's actually educated and more in line with what Belle would find attractive in a man (using that term loosely). That's a change in character I can get behind.
Agreed but (wrapped in tags just in case)

WARNING: "Potential" spoilers below
Agreed but he was still moaning like a kid whilst she was washing his wounds despite being all arrogant and nasty before the curse, also he is all giddy and childish when deciding what to wear for dinner, despite years of rage, injustice and bitterness. I don't want them to rewrite the whole thing just make some of it a bit more realistic,

WARNING: "" spoilers below

It's around 40 minutes in where the daughter who is so enamored with the guest wakes up, hears bits of a call he's making, and instantly becomes the skeptical investigative type that within moments contacts the military and sends the movie a thousand miles away. It happens kind of out of nowhere. Ya know, a typical movie would've maybe shown the characters it would introduce later early on, even cryptically (picking through the ashes of the fire the guest used to escape), so it didn't feel abrupt when the movie took it that direction. The least they could've done is made the girl skeptical from the beginning so her shift in character didn't feel like such a forced plot device.

It's not even just a plotting or pacing issue, because the movie then begins the first of several tonal changes. It goes from some localized, tense thriller to an over the top shoot em up, later to an extremely contrived slasher. It just feels like all of this could've been handled in a better way.

Also, maybe it's because I'm kind of familiar with the 80s revival in EDM that it's so familiar. Kavinsky, the guy who got launched from Drive, kind of kicked off a trend of "retrowave" that focused on 80s synth work. That makes this score inseparable because it's still within that relatively narrow genre. I didn't think the score was especially well used either. Just kind of thrown in all over the place, most of the time where it didn't compliment the scene so much as draw attention as to what significance they intended for it to have. Just kind of puzzling.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm down for friendly discussion, but I don't think anybody needs to change anybody's mind. I'm sure I adore plenty of movies that you despise. That's what's beautiful about art.
To each their own, The Guest made my top ten of that year. I'm more into genre flicks though, so it felt right up my alley.

To each their own, The Guest made my top ten of that year. I'm more into genre flicks though, so it felt right up my alley.
I don't think it's fair to characterize my problems with it as problems with genre films. I'm a huge fan of horror, just not Wingard's brand from what I've been exposed to.

Cemetery of Splendour (2015, Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

Cinema as a trance, a meditation, a door to another reality. Weerasethakul sticks to his guns and produces another deeply personal, mysterious film that eludes interpretation. All the usual trademarks are there - the hypnotic pace, almost complete absence of music, static camera, next to no close-up shots, and an eerily ethereal, serene atmosphere that envelops it all. Weerasethakul belongs to that special cohort of filmmakers that strive to get to the core of things by looking at the most basic, mundane things possible - because that's where so much of the mystery lies.

Passengers (2016)

Great visuals and
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Laurence Fishburne died too soon to be good,
other than that average popcorn movie that i don't want to see twice. They shouldn't cast Jennifer Lawrence on this, she was just shrieking like street cat.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

If you're a big fan of Lonely Island, this is a good comedy. I had a few laughs, but don't imagine myself watching this again anytime soon.

The Jackle

I remember really liking this as a kid. Looking at it now, it's pretty slow and not even a cat and mouse type of chase that I remembered. Even for a cold as ice assassin, Willis shows zero enthusiasm here. Irish accent is terrible, Willis looks funny in all his disguises and it feels very dated. Points off for terrible stereotyped Canadian accent.

Looking at Bruce Willis' career on Rottentomatoes, the guy hasn't had a well received film since 2012's Looper. He's on the Sandler and DeNiro train of not giving a crap.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Just finished Solace. Loved the actors, good dynamic n the relationships, nice twist, and very stylised which I found easy on the eye. Score and colour grading didnt leave me rocking in the corner. I give this a rating of very entertaining.

The Hunt (2012)

The entire cast is phenomenal. The tension makes the viewer squirm in their seat. A great example of how a little lie can build and how a mob mentality can destroy someone's life.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Hunt (2012)

The entire cast is phenomenal. The tension makes the viewer squirm in their seat. A great example of how a little lie can build and how a mob mentality can destroy someone's life.
Great, wasnt it, but very distressing. Mads as always was brilliant, and so was the little girl. Those two had such a great dynamic.

Passengers (2016)

Great visuals and
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Laurence Fishburne died too soon to be good,
other than that average popcorn movie that i don't want to see twice. They shouldn't cast Jennifer Lawrence on this, she was just shrieking like street cat.
The movie seemed like a complete waste of a great opportunity. I actually think Pratt stood out the most in this (not in a good way). He just can't seem to pull off a purely dramatic scene. Lawrence, on the other hand, pulled her character off fairly well for the most part. To be honest, the writing itself was what made the film bad in my opinion. It was very silly and vapid. A great example would be
WARNING: spoilers below
that Laurence Fishburne scene. Bringing him in to solely be a catalyst for them was a wasteful move. Let's not forget that speech he gave right before he died.