What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

It all started with an obsession for James Bond films a couple of years ago.
After seeing The Living Daylights on TV, I wanted to check out all the Bond films. My father had the whole box, so I watched two Bond films every evening with my sister.
I fell in love with the older Connery films, mainly because the look of those older Bond movies was so stylish and in a certain way nostalgic to me. They gave me a certain satisfaction that no modern films ever could (I hadn't watched many good films yet, of course).

It made me realise that I could also get this nostalgic satisfaction from other films.
I started to look on the internet for an older film to start my exploration of the huge treasure of classic cinema and I came across the title Casablanca. Of course I'd heard from that film already, but I never knew what it was about or anything like that.
I went to my father's DVD collection, found it and watched it one night.

From the moment I saw Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, sitting in the exclusive gambling area of his own bar playing chess, I was completely sold. This was the single coolest (film) image I'd ever seen in my entire life.

I spent 102 minutes in the exotic and romantic city of Casablanca that night and I was BLOWN AWAY.
The next day I showed it to my sister, because I was so extremely excited about what I discovered, and she also liked it.
Since then, I think I've seen it maybe 20 or 30 times already. It is to date my favorite film of all time.

Anyway, Humphrey Bogart instantly became my new hero and while reading about him and about classic films, I decided to watch every movie that seemed worthwile to me, hoping to find a similar experience as I had when watching Casablanca.

I can happily say that films like Chinatown, City Lights or Brazil (and dozens of other favorites) offered me similar satisfying experiences. Cinema has become an important part of my life, as I'm now constantly looking for new interesting films and directors to discover.

It has changed my life so much that I constantly want to read and talk about it. My friends really thought I was going nuts in the beginning (oh well, that's perhaps a little exaggerated). Whenever I was getting too drunk or too high, I unwittingly started talking about films to everyone, even to girls I was with at parties. I apparently wanted to share my new discovery with mankind!
I'm glad to see that some of my friends are also getting more interested in some real quality films lately.

Oh well, enough chatter. You all get the point, otherwise you wouldn't be here.
Great post Cobpyth, the best part "Whenever I was getting too drunk or too high, I unwittingly started talking about films to everyone, even to girls I was with at parties. I apparently wanted to share my new discovery with mankind!"

When I was younger I used to watch all the Bond films on these videos I had of them, like a complete collection thing, and I used to watch Indiana Jones and Star Wars all the time too. But this was before I really started taking films seriously, and unfortunately I can't find any of them anymore

The Wizard of Oz
I think I have watched this film every year that I have been alive, kind of like a family tradition thing and it's always ended up happening, normally near Christmas.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
For me, it all started with Memento as a preteen.

The film still remains a favourite today.

Both Indiana Jones and Jaws. Especially Temple of doom, used to scare the hell out of me when i was a kid.
Thank you!!! I was racking my brains trying to remember something that really obsessed me in my early teens. It's definitely Indiana Jones, I don't know about "the one movie that made me love all movies" but when I was 12 there was a TV marathon, I had no clue what Indiana Jones was, and I loved them, and it got to the point that it was really bad, like watching them over and over again, and talking about them at highschool like a retard.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think that I'd probably say Donnie Darko. I saw The Dark Knight before I saw Darko, and I loved it, both of them flip-flop as my number one, but Donnie Darko's creativity and uniqueness really blew me away when I saw it.

The regular thing to say would be Indiana Jones, Jaws or Star Wars...

But my #1 film was the one that got me into loving film... RoboCop. I was only about 7 or 8 when I first saw it on VHS at my Brother's house.

After that seeing The Lost Boys, Lethal Weapon, the original 3 Alien films, and then as I grew up a bit more it was watching Jurassic Park in the cinema when I was 11 years old and then blockbusters like Independence Day in the mid 90s.

But yeah, RoboCop was the film that cemented my love of movies.

It's damn near impossible to pinpoint a single film because it was more of process than an epiphany for me. It was almost a subconscious realisation, I would say, and not all of the films that I saw very early on have even become firm favourites. Those that didn't served a purpose though, and a few of them I think I can credit with helping me see cinema as much more than entertainment; as an art form that can facilitate a level of thought and feeling deeper than I think I had ever experienced up to that point.

Drive, definitely.

Until that point, I just watched films casually, like most people. I watched Drive on Blu Ray a year after its release, and I thought it was just an action movie from what I heard.

I was blown away, and now I watch movies much more carefully.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Think its time to bump this thread, and get the input from new regulars on what movie was it that made you love film.

As I said in the first post mine was The World According To Garp. An odd movie which showcased John Lithgow, and Glenn Close for the first time. Also showed Robin Williams could actually act. Why I liked the movie though was it was heartwarming, bizarre, hilarious, tragic, and dramatic. Hey, I was around 12 when I saw it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Naturally Shawshank Redemption, but also Rear Window, Sansho the Bailiff, On the Waterfront, Some like it Hot deserve credit. As well as The Prestige, Forrest Gump, and Wizard of Oz.

This film made me love movie.

Gone with the Wind was my first movie obsession

Oh this is hard.... I cant think of any movie that made me love movies... I have loved movies since I was very young. Watching them with my parents. I can give you movies that I love and caused me to watch more by a certain director, actor or genre, but not one that caused me to love movies overall.

A system of cells interlinked

Battle of the bulge----

I saw it at the age of 6 .

And I not only fell in love with movies , I fell in love with war....

Ever since then I have seen countless movies and read countless books on war.....

Put me in your pocket...

Back in the day, any time a Fred and Ginger movie came on I had to watch it. Besides the dancing, music and obvious chemistry between the two, I loved the style of the films, from the sets to the fashion. I can't remember if it's Top Hat or The Gay Divorcee that I saw first...so, I'll just credit Fred and Ginger (and RKO) for hooking me into movies.