The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Both on my list. Aguirre at #4. The best pair so far, by far.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I remember liking Enter the Dragon, but I can barely recall anything that happened in it, so obviously the movie didn't leave much of an impact on me. I'd like to explore more martial-arts films at some point.

I only like one Superman film, new or old, and that's Superman II. (Although I was a huge fan of the animated series as a kid, if that counts.)

The western is my favorite genre, so it's surprising that I didn't like McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Although maybe that's why I didn't like it, since people call it an "anti-western" and it seems to appeal mostly to people who aren't big fans of the genre. I loved the ending, though, and I think I'd probably like the movie a lot more on a second watch.

If Apocalypse Now is one of my top five favorite movies of all time, then it should be no surprise that its spiritual prequel, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, is also one of my favorites. After all, both films share a similar structure, similar themes, similar imagery, similar setting. As Captain Willard says in Apocalypse Now, "Never get out of the boat. Absolutely godd*mn right. Unless you're going all the way." Well, never get off of the godd*mn raft, either, because Herzog and his lunatic fiend Klaus Kinski are traveling toward the same destination as Captain Willard and his crew: the heart of darkness. Without the influence of Aguirre, I doubt Apocalypse Now would be quite the same film. Brando's character, in so many ways, is like a reincarnation of Kinski's conquistador (only not quite as insane because nobody does crazy like Kinski).

I didn't love Aguirre, the Wrath of God the first time I watched it, yet months later I still couldn't stop thinking about it. Kinski's bug-eyed face haunted my dreams, and the movie grew on me in retrospect. When I re-watched it, I fell under its spell, and I proceeded to watch the majority of Herzog's filmography. Now he's one of my favorite directors. There's a level of authenticity and realism in his films that is unrivaled, in my opinion. Aguirre, the Wrath of God is a fictionalization, yet when I watch it I feel like Herzog traveled back in time to 1560 and filmed a documentary about a crazed conquistador's pursuit of El Dorado, giving us a peek into another man's soul. The verisimilitude is staggering. Herzog never takes the easy way out. In his pursuit of realism and perfection, he'll shoot a scene in the harshest, most unforgiving conditions and environments. Civil war? Deadly critters? He doesn't care, and his daring and bravery reflects on screen.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God was one of three Herzog films to make my list. Obviously the other two didn't make the countdown, which is a real shame. For whatever reason, Herzog seems to be very underappreciated and/or underseen on this forum. Fitzcarraldo--- his best movie, in my opinion, and my personal favorite--- didn't make the 80's Countdown. And now only one Herzog film makes the 70's Countdown. I think more of you should definitely explore his filmography and perhaps avert some of that Altman adulation toward a more deserving director.

My List So Far:
#4) The Last Picture Show
#5) Aguirre, the Wrath of God
#6) Eraserhead
#8) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
#9) Nashville
#10) The Holy Mountain
#11) Paper Moon
#12) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
#13) Five Easy Pieces
#18) Solaris
#22) Straw Dogs
#23) The Outlaw Josey Wales
#24) Mean Streets

That's 13 entries so far. I doubt I'll have anymore until we reach the top ten.

Can't remember ever having seen McCabe and Mrs Miller, maybe forgotten but I'll watch it again as it's so high here that it must be worth watching.
Aguirre is one I should've had on my list. Sorry Werner

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I need to see more Altman.

Aguirre was 9th on my list!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Angry Colon, The Wrath of God was my #13.

Herzog and Kinski were basically the indie Taylor and Burton.

Because the traditional western does not get any more realistic than the one depicted in McCabe & Mrs. Miller, where the Great Plains, Indians and cowboy hats recede into the background only to be replaced by the one and only true law of the west - corporate greed.

#8 on my list.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller was my number 11! I love that film. I'm surprised and really glad to see it this high! Here's what I wrote about it in my top 101 thread:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

Altman's famous (anti-) Western film, McCabe & Mrs. Miller is another showcase of the director's extraordinary talent to make a certain genre completely his own, while also giving it a very interesting, refreshing and often haunting atypical spin. He is one of those directors that could easily put many different important themes into one nicely flowing movie and he very much does that here.

The film starts with the image of a typical loner. Infamous cigar smoking gambler John McCabe (played perfectly by Warren Beatty) enters a town and visits a local saloon. He has come to the place with a vision, with a plan. He's determined to start a luxurious whorehouse.
Soon he starts the constructions, but the "whorehouse business" seems more complex than he thought at first. An experienced professional prostitute, called Constance Miller (played by the always gorgeous Julie Christie), passes by and she offers him her help in exchange for a share of the profits. McCabe accepts the business deal.
Everything starts going well for their business and we learn more about both of our main characters. A special chemistry starts to develop between them, but it's not at all the typical romantic chemistry one would expect. It's much more complex and dark and our characters suffer because of it. Meanwhile a major corporation offers to buy McCabe out, because they have their own plans with the town. When McCabe initially refuses and starts playing hard to get, the darker meanings of the uncontrolled and "free" West become clear...

The reason I like this film so much is because it's able to flawlessly balance poetry with brainy intelligence. The film shows emotions and portrays feelings, but it places them in a realistic and sometimes rather pessimistic environment. Human values and romanticism don't get a safe conduct in this film. Falling in love with a prostitute who has lost hope isn't matter of course and owning a thriving business isn't all that romantic, but at least it feels real and that's the strength of this film.

Now, some people would think that this sense of 'realism' would make a film rather boring, but that's definitely not the case here. Yes, it offers a more believable and intelligent take on the Old West, but it's still full with stuff that makes a film great! The characters are interesting, the script can be funny, tensive and haunting, the directing is Altman at his best, the film has a warm, heartfelt core and the story is very interesting and entertaining to follow.

So yeah, be sure to check this out before the '70s list starts. As you can see, for me, it's still one of the most satisfying film experiences I've ever had and I'm sure many of you will love it as well (or already love it).

3:40 - At the beginning of the film, there is a shot of McCabe lighting a cigarette before crossing the bridge. According to Robert Altman, Stanley Kubrick loved that shot and called him up asking him: "How did you know you had it?"
-------------------------------------------

Aguirre is a film I admire, more than I actually love it (but that's not necessarily a bad thing). It's an incredibly ambitious film and it takes a madman to make something as difficult and challenging as Aguirre. Luckily for us, Herzog and Klinski were both crazy as hell and they expressed it in the art of filmmaking. The result is one of the most praised cinematic relationships between a director and an actor of all time, with Aguirre as one of their most resonant works together... Definitely a must watch for every cinephile out there.

SEEN: 42/80

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!
78. MASH -
+ #19 on my list!
77. Mean Streets -
-
76. Hausu -

74. Paper Moon -

71. The Conformist -
+ #21 on my list!
70. Mad Max –
-
66. Animal House -
-
64. The Last Picture Show -
+
60. Le Cercle Rouge –
#13 on my list!
59. Grease –
+
58. Badlands –

57. The Sting –
#16 on my list!
54. The Jerk –

53. Five Easy Pieces –
+ #9 on my list!
52. Manhattan -
#5 on my list!
47. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory –

46. The Rocky Horror Picture Show –

44. Kramer vs. Kramer –

43. Nashville –
#14 on my list!
42. American Graffiti –

41. Life of Brian –

40. Cabaret –
+
36. Carrie –
(+)
34. Dirty Harry –

33. Blazing Saddles –

32. Network –
#15 on my list!
31. The French Connection –

30. Annie Hall –

29. Days of Heaven –

28. Dog Day Afternoon –

27. Harold and Maude –
(+)
26. Eraserhead –
+ #24 on my list!
25. Texas Chainsaw Massacre – no rating
22. McCabe & Mrs. Miller –
#11 on my list!
21. Aguirre, Wrath of God –

Two excellent movies, both overdue for a revisit. Aguirre was not on my list, but McCabe & Mrs. Miller I had at 18th. I think it is Altman's masterpiece. The attention to detail and the cinematography are amazing. Beautiful, haunting, gritty, it's all of that. I really groove to the tone and the look and the story and the characters, and the ending ranks as one of my very favorite of all time. (With the ending to Aguirre up there, too.) I'm not a fan of movies with large ensemble casts, so I have a hard time connecting with some of Altman's movies, which can feel like a ten-hour miniseries compressed down to two and a half, so the more tightly focused story works more with me.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
14. The French Connection (#31)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
22. Network (#32)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

McCabe&Ms.Miller was #15 on my list. It is the fourth and last of my movies that I watched for the list and made it. I wish I would have watched 70's Altman years ago because it turns out I am a huge fan. Three of his movies made my list. I have never been a Beatty fan but he is fabulous in this. Once Christie shows up this movie just sky rockets for me. Two or three really incredible individual scenes in this one.

So the last 20 coming up, the big 'uns are approaching.
I'm was hoping against hope for a certain music documentary. Maybe some people have put it higher than me?

Maybe I should give Aguirre a rewatch one of these days, as it seems I'm the only one here who absolutely loathes it. On my second viewing I'll decide whether I really hate it, or I just didn't get it the first time.

I probably would have voted for McCabe & Mrs. Miller had I seen it in time.

Aguirre was on my list.

1. Annie Hall
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Network
4. Hausu
5. Nope
6. Harold and Maude
7. Yep
9. Carrie
11. Top 10
12. No
13. Being There
14. Blazing Saddles
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
17. Top 10
18. Top 2
19. Walkabout
20. Yuuuup
21. Yep
22. A Woman Under the Influence
23. No chance
24. Top 10
25. Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Two
films. I do appreciate both, especially admiring the setting and design- but neither spoke to me or even kept me entertained at all. Two well made but empty films.

And for those paying attention to such things, you'll note that there was a twenty-two point jump between #22 and #21, putting Werner Herzog's film over the three hundred point threshold, just before we start on our top twenty. We had crested 200 points with number thirty-nine (Solaris), and hit 100 with number seventy-six (Hausu).

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-24-10-09-25-1.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	16785  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I had Aguirre, the Wrath of God on my list, at #23. When I first started listing films, I thought it would be much higher--maybe in the top half of the list. But Herzog films are perverse little things that are easy to admire and difficult to love.

The more I compared one film to another (which is still the best way I know to sort these things out), the more I realized I would compare most films as a whole to individual shots or scenes in Aguirre. On one hand, it's laudable that his films contain such indelible moments. On the other, it's a little disconcerting that those individual elements can overshadow the rest of the film so easily. As I compared it to other films on my list, I found myself pushing it down more and more, because I was so often comparing entire films to one scene, or one shot, or one idea.

Anyway, that's just me. Still a great film.