Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Se correr o bicho pega. Se ficar o bicho come.
Memories of a Murderer 8,3/10

Excellent movie with quite a unexpected ending (IMO). I didn't know the director of this piece, now I feel like I need to contemplate more of his works.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks, Edarsenal! You've always been one of my faves.

The reason on why I didn't do this earlier is bc my mentions don't work. I have literally 44, which is appropriate, bc that's my age, but not for long.

I'll PM Yoda.
VERY much appreciated! Always enjoyed your posts and very cool to see you again. Another grand sign that summer is here

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!

7/10 I liked that it used minimal dialogue and had some intense moments but something about it felt too clean. Maybe its just modern filmaking that doesnt sit right with me a lot of this felt like it shouldve been more raw.
Words can not describe how much I loathed this film.

It's funny how I use this magnificent thread to say a word or two about these classics. My 4th viewing, but something always distracted me before.

I don't like crime movies, not only bc I don't like crime and stereotypical gun fights and chases, plots, somrtimes Agatha Christie-like, but also it's my mom's fave genre and she watches it non-stop on TV.

But this one has that something. It leaves a flavour for a while or even for the rest of your life after you've seen it. I'm talking about that legendary Fernando Rey wave. We have the ridiculous going-in, going-out scene. The most famous chase in cinema history. One of my faves Gene. I also like Roy, too bad he didn't have more substance.

The best is the end. As they say, the movie's good as is its ending. Gene disappears into a room, we hear a shot, and that's it. Except it isn't. The outro credits reveal Rey has never been caught and is believed to be living in France. And they show that legendary wave.

I won.

So, it's one of those rare masterpieces where evil wins, but it's still impressive, as in Rosemary's Baby. But then there's to be a sequel.

I also didn't know it's based on real events.

[COLOR=inherit ! important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
[/color]

Touch of Evil (1958)

Happened upon this on TCM, and naturally I couldn't turn it off, even though I've seen it 10-12 times.

This is one of Welles' masterpieces. It was pretty much to 1958 what Citizen Kane was to 1941. In my view the film is practically flawless.

Someone said that Ricardo Montalban would have been ideal for the role of Ramon Vargas, which is true. However Charlton Heston did a wonderful job. The film was littered with great performances.

Top 50 of all time, top 10 of the 1950s.

~Doc

The Offence (1972).

Claustrophobic drama that's more about the actors chops than the actual story. Very intriguing...Ian Bannen has long been a favourite of mine. The procedural aspects of the investigation are done brilliantly as you would expect from Lumet....good strong 7/10.

@Beatle if you haven't seen The Virgin Spring by Bergman, as a Christian, I'd certainly recommend that one to you. There is a difficult-to-watch rape scene (as they all are) but it leads to themes that Christians struggle with, like anger, hate, revenge, and ultimately a miraculous happening. I'm not trying to spoil it for you but Max von Sydow plays a deeply devout man who struggles with some of the feelings I listed and there is a theme of forgiveness also, which is asked for by one of the main characters. I'd give it a chance if I were you. But, then again, I've loved every Bergman film I've seen so far and it's quite a few.
A beautiful movie. It was my first Bergman, and still my favorite. Max Von Sydow was stunning in the film, and I've enjoyed him in every single role he's had since.

~Doc

It's funny how I use this magnificent thread to say a word or two about these classics. My 4th viewing, but something always distracted me before.

I don't like crime movies, not only bc I don't like crime and stereotypical gun fights and chases, plots, somrtimes Agatha Christie-like, but also it's my mom's fave genre and she watches it non-stop on TV.

But this one has that something. It leaves a flavour for a while or even for the rest of your life after you've seen it. I'm talking about that legendary Fernando Rey wave. We have the ridiculous going-in, going-out scene. The most famous chase in cinema history. One of my faves Gene. I also like Roy, too bad he didn't have more substance.

The best is the end. As they say, the movie's good as is its ending. Gene disappears into a room, we hear a shot, and that's it. Except it isn't. The outro credits reveal Rey has never been caught and is believed to be living in France. And they show that legendary wave.

I won.

So, it's one of those rare masterpieces where evil wins, but it's still impressive. But then there's to be a sequel.

[/color]
I bought the triple box set with Friedkins commentary narration on the Third disc....its an amazing piece of film making. I, too (as you may have guessed from my avatar) wanted Roy to have a more extensive part.

The Texas Chain Massacre 2 (1986)

Utter dross, no redeeming features. I think the Pamela Anderson one (Barb Wire?) is better than this utter shambles of a film. The hate is strong!!!!

I won.

So, it's one of those rare masterpieces where evil wins, but it's still impressive, as in Rosemary's Baby. But then there's to be a sequel.

[/color]
I like how raw and gritty it felt. I wonder how much of the modern audience would back off the film as soon as they hear Popeye spout the N word though. I like when main characters arent completely clean though.

I bought the triple box set with Friedkins commentary narration on the Third disc....its an amazing piece of film making. I, too (as you may have guessed from my avatar) wanted Roy to have a more extensive part.
Thsnks, Marco. I wasn't even aware it existed. But so cool it does. Maybe I'll even buy it one day, but you know what a problem money is.

I like how raw and gritty it felt. I wonder how much of the modern audience would back off the film as soon as they hear Popeye spout the N word though. I like when main characters arent completely clean though.
Yeah, that's an excellent point, MR_TagoMago. It might be even the main feature of the film. Gene was a perfect cast because he is like that in real life. I watched a documentary on him with Dustin Hoffman in it, as they've been excellent friends all their lives, this is what Dustin said:

He was always a very macho guy. One day he was walking like an unfed lion in the room.

- What's up?
- I have to go!
- Where ?
- I have to go!!
- Where?
- I have to go and pick a fight!!!

They were attending an actors studio together.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Unsane. Looks amazing. I would not have guessed that was al shot on a phone.