The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

If you go back to the previous pairing, you'll notice that The Man Who Would Be King and Assault on Precinct 13 were another numerical tie in the final vote, both accumulating ninety-four points. Huston's King had four top ten votes, including three of you who all had it as their eighth place nominee, and it was on six overall ballots. Carpenter's Precinct 13 had three top tens, a fourth, a seventh, and a tenth place vote, but was on eight overall ballots, placing it one spot higher on the countdown.

The bee-less, Nic Cage-less Wicker Man only had two top ten votes, a fourth and eighth, but was on ten ballots.

We are almost to the hundred point threshold, and not even a quarter of the way through the list.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	assault.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	16457  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
6 / 22 so far. 0 from my list.
Your list is either an obscure one or it has Taxi Driver on all places from 1 to 25. xD
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Haven't seen Assault on Precinct 13 yet, but The Wicker Man is an excellent film that i honestly thought was from the 60s . I even had it on my potential 60s list .

I love the occult imagery scattered throughout the film, and the fact it has a 17th century witch hunt vibe to it makes it even creepier.

Oh well i guess i'll check the rest of my 60s films to make sure that To Kill A Mokingbird wasn't made in 2011

Just double checked the 80's and 90's list.

Here is the 90's list.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=32480

We hit 100 at number 43 in the 90's list with Sonatine, and 55 with 101 in the 80's with Stand By Me.

EDIT: And it took until Black Swan at 25 for the Millennium List.

And we are at 79 and almost at 100 points!

Twenty-two movies in, still none from my list, and only two I've actually seen.

I didn't watch nearly as many 70s movies as I had planned to but I swear, I did watch quite a few. You just wouldn't know it from this countdown.

My List
1. Something That Didn't Make The Cut (confirmed by Holden)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, also didn't make the countdown)

I'm beginning to fear for several of the other 23.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I put Assaulat on Precinct 13 quite high on my list. Glad it's shown up but sad it isn't higher.

This set is weaker than the precedent. I've not seen the Carpenter movie and The Wicker Man is pretty good.

I agree with Pussy Galore that this set is weaker than the previous.

I have seen both of them and while i like them, i cant really say im in love with either of them. I was actually a bit dissapointed by Assault on Precinct 13 as it is hailed as one of the big movies by Carpenter. I actually thought it was a bit of bland piece of action...

Assault on Precinct 13
+

The Wicker Man
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Although not on my list, they're both good movies, probably because they deliver unexpected touches, at least if you saw them when they first came out or didn't read up about them in advance. Assault was Carpenter's second feature, and since his favorite director was Howard Hawks, what better thing for a young filmmaker to do but remake Rio Bravo with very little money and lots of weird, eerie touches. You should know if you're a policeman to never go anywhere near a precinct numbered 13! Well, Precinct 13 is closing up shop and a skeleton crew has to make sure that it goes down quietly. Trouble is a busload of criminals stops there at just the same time that some wacko killers go on a rampage in a strangely-vacant part of Los Angeles. So you have a set-up which superficially recreates Rio Bravo while all kinds of weird stuff goes off in Carpenter directions. The most-notorious of these is the ice cream truck scene which painstakingly sets itself up and then pays off with violence which seems far ahead of its time (and follows that with an exciting, if ridiculous, car chase). The actual assault does contain more strategic violence and an accurate portrayal of Hawks' macho men sacrificing themselves while kicking ass, which of course is one of Carpenter's favorite themes too. Just look at his version of The Thing (another Hawks remake) and They Live for proof. One last thing I'll mention is that this film reminds me at times of Romero's Night of the Living Dead. A small, isolated group of people, led by a strong black man, is attacked by a group of crazed killers. Carpenter chose his progenitors well.

The Wicker Man was already a cult movie when it was released in the U.S. in 1975. Yes, it took a year-and-a-half to reach our shores. The advertising played up that it wasn't a typical horror film, that it was more about a clash of cultures or religions. It was pitched as a mystery though, so the uptight Christian police sergeant played by Edward Woodward gets more than he bargained for in the Scottish Hebrides when he investigates the disappearance of a girl. There are uncooperative locals and the upcoming May Day Festival for the sergeant to deal with, but he's especially disturbed by the wanton desire and preoccupation with sex found on the island. The Wicker Man does have a connection with many of the Hammer Horrors that dealt with bizarre cults, but it takes it a step further and also supplies an abundance of local color and music. It seems so well-researched that it could be a documentary. If you don't know what it's really about, the long, detailed ending should hit you really hard, but I suppose there's always a chance that some viewers will laugh at the goings-on. But then you can always find people who will make fun of others' religious practices just as much as they'll make fun of others' favorite movies - not that any of that ever happens here.

THE WICKER MAN?!

That's even worse than THE OMEN!

OMG. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE better show up on this list now.

Or there will be a MOFO CHAINSAW MASSACRE!!!!!!

THE WICKER MAN?!

That's even worse than THE OMEN!

OMG. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE better show up on this list now.

Or there will be a MOFO CHAINSAW MASSACRE!!!!!!
Of course it will. All you horror fans will have it at the top of your lists. Probably top half, and maybe even top 25.

I've seen Assault on Precinct 13 and The Wicker Man, but didn't particularly care for either one.