The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

For 96 and 95, I like the guesses of Hereditary and Leave No Trace, especially the latter, but there were made.

So, I'll go with:

96. Raw
95. You Were Never Really Here

I'm just assuming 95 isn't Searching for Sugar Man, but that hint would seem too straight forward (or maybe it is reverse psychology).

OK, just finished Room. Ouch, that really stung. I loved Tremblay's amazing delivery, because seeing the movie from a five-year-old's perspective brings an incredible heart and charm to it. The second half wasn't as good as the first, but I'm still giving it a 95/100.

Seen 2/4

I've actually seen all four films so far. World of Tomorrow is my favorite, but I've never included a short on any of my lists. The Descendants and Room are both good, but not favorites, and Raid I saw in the theatre with my wife who is Indonesian, and it was the only reason I watched it. That kind of action film bores me, and I never bothered with the second one.

I forgot the opening line.
Just catching up here -

100. The Raid - Here, it's only called The Raid. I remember when this film came out, because there was such a fuss over it - most reviewers I liked and respected were saying that it was this generation's Die Hard, which really caught my attention. My expectations were raised to a silly level by all the acclaim it was getting, and inevitably when I saw the film it was a little bit of a let down. I'm way overdue on rewatching this - I have it on DVD, and I have a feeling that knowing the genre and feel of this Indonesian film holds me in good stead for seeing it again. It's not your typical Western action movie, but kind of welds different aspects of action from different places together into a non-stop well choreographed ballet of violence and death. I'll check it out again soon.

99. World of Tomorrow - What a fascinating little film to make the 2010s Countdown, assuring Don Hertzfeldt of at least two spots overall - someone with a bright future indeed. As always, comedy is it's main feature - but it also taps into the quantum semi-mystical pseudoscience and theories so popular today in films like Everything Everywhere All at Once and shows like Rick and Morty. In some respects, it probably predicts what the future might be like fairly well - but take that with a grain of salt, because prediction is near-impossible. It's a fun short film, and underneath all the enjoyment there's a deep thread of darkness.

98. The Descendants - I've seen this Alexander Payne film a couple of times, but it mostly eludes my memory because it's a character-driven film that doesn't deal with large events (aside being based around one) - instead focusing on a family dynamic headed by George Clooney. It incorporates wonderful visual elements by being set in Hawaii, taking advantage of the very best the islands have to offer. There's a discovery of infidelity after the character played by our lead lands herself in hospital, basically brain dead. For the specifics I need to go back and see it again - but that's never a problem for an Alexander Payne film.

97. Room - Held captive in a room for untold years, a woman actually has a child by the man who is holding her and raping her. It's incredible to think that this happens - every few years there's a new tale told by people who have escaped imprisonment. Who is out there today, held captive and yearning for freedom? I don't want to spoil Room by going into specifics. Like The Raid and The Descendants, I have this on DVD but I've only ever seen it once. I look forward to watching this again as well once a little more time has passed. I'd have thought this might get a higher spot - but I look forward to the rest of what this Countdown has to offer.

Seen 4/4

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

For 96. My guess is leaning towards Annihilation.

For 95, perhaps Leave No Trace?

These are really good guesses.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
When this countdown was announced, I was pretty sure that The Descendants would have made my list, but it just missed my top 25. It's a great movie, and I'm glad to see it made the countdown.

I watched Room a few years ago. It's a good movie, but it's kind of creepy, and uncomfortable to watch, and I've never had a desire to rewatch it, so it didn't make my list.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I have seen The Descendants and Room exactly once each, liked them, and then never really thought about them again. Think it'll be fascinating to see which other movies I apparently consider "forgettable" will have resonated enough with other people to make the list.

The Raid is a movie I've had numerous chances to see but missed and I really want to see it. It will come on one of the streaming services I have and I'll think, "Aw, it'll be around for a good while, I'll just watch this other one that's new." Then it goes away before I remember it's there.

World of Tomorrow looks like my type of jam: an animated short. But still need to see it and will.

The Descendants I saw this a good while back and really enjoyed it. I thought it was one of Clooney's better performances and I was impressed by Shailene Woodley. It was hardly her first credit but it was the first time I'd heard of her and I liked her as well. Need to see again..

Room Another that's shown up on my streaming services but I've let slip by. One day.

Suffice to say, have seen one but even it didn't make my list. Good start, though.

For 96 and 95, I like the guesses of Hereditary and Leave No Trace, especially the latter, but there were made.
I'd imagine Hereditary cracks the top 50

79 is a pretty high point of entry for a countdown

Hindsight on my list I reckon 9 will make the final countdown, and I'm confident in seven of those.

But there's plenty of room for surprises and cult favorites

I could see my #4 making it in the next few days here

WARNING: spoilers below
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
These clues are merging together in my mind and suggesting Predestination so I'll say it's that for both. Which makes sense if you've seen it

Actually, it would be interesting to know for everyone's ballot, what their "least seen" film is. Mine is probably The Burden, which has 593 votes, but I bet there are people who voted for more obscure (by that one metric of IMDb votes) films.
Just checked mine and it would be my one-pointer Greatful Dead which currently sits at having been rated 779 times on IMDb, and I suspect with mark f sadly gone will still sit at 779 when this countdown is over and done.

As for the clues, it's looking like
96. Spotlight
95. Nocturnal Animals
may well maintain the 100% faildictions record thus far

Did your one pointer make it as a one pointer?
I guess Speling is sharing them in time, I couldn't find my one pointer there too (I am sure it is a one pointer).

Also, Lucy and Predestination are good guesses in my opinion. I expect Hereditary in last 50 to be honest. No idea for the other movie.

A system of cells interlinked
Annihilation and The Man from Nowhere are my guesses!

That's true. I guess I just liked where the mind was going with that. It'd be funny if it was the other route and turns out to be Never Let Me Go.
Though the Predestination guess made deserves style points if nothing else.

That's true. I guess I just liked where the mind was going with that. It'd be funny if it was the other route and turns out to be Never Let Me Go.
Though the Predestination guess made deserves style points if nothing else.
Predestination is well liked here, I'd think it would be higher but then again I suck at predicting placements on the countdowns.