Goodbye Conan O'Brien

Tools    

Oh, nevermind, nevermind, he's not dead. His show went off. I had no idea - I never watch it.

Bummer, for a few reasons. The main one being that we're going to go something like 4 months without any Conan, which is a shame (I DVR just about every episode). I'm a bit worried he might temper his odder inclinations for the earlier late night crowd...though I'm thinking he'll find a good way to mold the insanity into something a bit more palpable without changing it too much.

Feel kinda bad for him, what with Jay just moving up an hour. He thought he was going to be The Man, but The Tonight Show he's inheriting isn't really the same thing he was promised.

Still, happy for him, and I'll definitely be eagerly awaiting the first airing.

So they bumped Leno up an hour and then gave Conan his old spot huh? I thought he was taking over for Jay, because well, he's alot funnier.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

He was going to, but Leno makes NBC a ton of money, and it was clear he was going to go to another network if they let him go. So they gave him a show around 10, instead, which means he'll still be leading into Conan, basically. This keeps their promise to Conan, technically speaking, but kinda violates the spirit of the whole thing. A couple of Conan's guests have made light of this fact in front of him, actually; Norm Macdonald, most notably.

Here's a link to the Norm MacDonald interview. I had no idea about this "moving up an hour" non-sense so I had to look it up. Norm is hysterically candid when it comes to his opinions. Not just in regards to Leno but people jumping off buildings. Great stuff.

so Jay is just going to have "The Leno Show" er some crap? totally foxed him

He's kind of a wreck, but every now and then he'll say something hysterical. Love the phrase "aiport pilot," for one.

"I wrote this bit 25 minutes ago."

You're a Genius all the time
Norm MacDonald's kind of a personal hero of mine. He was a great Conan guest, too, solely responsible for this epic late night moment...

Only Norm MacDonald could get away with such abject assholery

Those were hilarious. I love his show, a lot. My favorite skit will probably always be when Ted Nugent took him to where he lives, and showed him how to hunt.

I can't remember exactly how this was worded, but it goes something like this . . .

Conan: "How come you're in camouflage, and I'm in this bright orange vest?"
Ted: (Starring at Conan, while holding his rifle) . . . "Run."
Conan: "What?"
Ted: "Run."

I'm sure I'm leaving things out, but you get the idea.

You're a Genius all the time
I've never seen that Noodge bit you're talking about Destiny, but as far as Conan O'Brien going out, shooting stuff, nothing beats his strange encounter with Hunter S Thompson...

Funny stuff. And below is Conezone's final show, which aired last night...

I didn't even know Carson's show was still on, I doubt he would bring in as many as Leno. Personally, I thought it was odd they gave him a show in the first place, the guy needs a personality transplant. Plus his comedic timing leaves much to be desired...

...uh the post is up there...

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I think Conan O'Brien is hilarious. I've watched him from his second season back when I was in middle school, but because I don't have network TV anymore I haven't watched him as much of late... just what I catch online.

I think he's brilliant the way he pokes fun of himself and also he seems to be great at improvising toward the moment and playing the audience. Some may call that getting off topic, but his comedy and style are very much like jazz. It just seems to flow well and he's naturally funny and smooth, unlike someone like Leno who might be able to write great jokes and deliever them, but seems stiff and stoic somehow like it's all scripted.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

You ready? You look ready.
I'm not a fan of Conan O'Brien, or the NBC late night shows for that matter. Give me Letterman and Ferguson everyday of the week. However, I totally gotta agree that just bumping Leno up and giving Conan the new spot is pretty much crap. As Yoda said, pretty much ruins the spirit of the thing. But alas, NBC has never really known what they're doing, so I am not surprised.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
Never really known what they were doing? Please explain.

Semper Fooey
I'm a big fan of Norm MacDonald, another example of NBC's incompetence, forcing him out of SNL before he wanted to go.

Semper Fooey
If you were a network guy, who would you give a late night show to? The guy they have to dump is Jimmy Fallon. I think it's time for a woman. Replace him with Sarah Silverman