Hotseat! God

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
As an alleged scientist (someone with a Biological Sciences degree), I most certainly believe in evolution.

Mark, I do not have a bachelor of Science so forgive me, but my understanding was that man was not evolved from Apes, but rather we share Ancestors from a way back when but travelled different branches of the Evolutionary tree.

Genetically speaking, do we not share over 90% material with the Bononos Chimps?

The other "hotseat" threads are for asking a member direct questions (grilling). Are we supposed to ask questions of God? If so, who will answer for him?

Mark, I do not have a bachelor of Science so forgive me, but my understanding was that man was not evolved from Apes, but rather we share Ancestors from a way back when but travelled different branches of the Evolutionary tree.

Genetically speaking, do we not share over 90% material with the Bononos Chimps?
I think Mark was just trying to show the similarity of the ape skeletons of today -- as another bit of "proof" of Evolution.

This is a fun thread. It's got everything -- philosophical discussion, religious arguments, God talk, sex talk, George Burns, drama, negativity, positivity, tea, skeletons, admins getting protective of their members' rights to chat seriously, other members taking it the wrong way, members getting huffy, etc. New members are loving it. I think it's one of the best new threads in awhile -- and I really do want to discuss more serious stuff about God. It better not close!

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Just so you know, this thread is not about belief and should not be about belief, because that is an enormous topic that, for me, would involve some psychoanalysis. However, I see now from both yours and Classicqueen's comments that it is very quickly turning into a discussion on belief.

>God can't be explained. He can't be proved. You simply have to believe in him.

I guess the entire field of Apologetics is for nothing then? Fine with me.
Well, it would be difficult to have a discussion about God without belief factoring in.

Just saying...no sharpness intended. *Bowing out now*

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think all five senses have to do with the brain. In fact, I don't "think" it. I just don't understand it when people say they only believe in things they see, etc.

P. S. Regarding my "evolution image", everyone is 100% correct, but that proves my incomprehensible point.

Oh no. Don't bring up the Bonobo chimps. Those creatures are supposed to be extremely sexual, Dexual. It may inspire a joke or 2....,000.

You ready? You look ready.
I think you asked for seriousness too soon. There wasn't much going on in this thread.
A response that took me an hour to write...doesn't count as much? And I'm sure planet news took the same amount of time writing his, if not at least a half of it. And then, after the exchange of these posts, a couple people wander in and post one liners that have nothing to do with the thread or its posts. Geez, I wonder why Yoda asked you all to be serious...because that can't possibly be the reason. Something must have crawled up his arse, for sure.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Not that Yoda needs backup or anything, as he's perfectly capable of dealing with this himself. But, I do agree with him. And I admit, I was tempted to crap on this thread as soon as I saw it. It's really quite easy to derail threads and whether or not you're willing to admit it, most of you are well aware of it when you're doing it.

A cooler head prevailed and I fell back to my usual standby for threads that I find somewhat interesting but mostly pointless; I just started reading it.

So, I won't be participating much in this thread but I plan to read the parts that I find interesting and may even find something that I can contribute, too.

Yoda abusing his right as an Admin of the site by asking folks to stay on topic is about as ridiculous as Brett Favre texting pics of his penis to Jen Sterger. If that were truly the case then there wouldn't be the diverse crowd of people here that I have come to know and in some cases love and respect.

I mean, I've been booted off of sites before with NO warning whatsoever. Chris not only takes the time to try to get a thread on topic but he goes so far as to try to NOT ban people. Not to mention the fact that he very rarely goes into members posts and edits them however he sees fit, which is very common at a few other forums I frequent.

He's a good man and we owe him the respect his position here affords him.

Sorry... carry on!

A response that took me an hour to write...doesn't count as much? And I'm sure planet news took the same amount of time writing his, if not at least a half of it. And then, after the exchange of these posts, a couple people wander in and post one liners that have nothing to do with the thread or its posts. Geez, I wonder why Yoda asked you all to be serious...because that can't possibly be the reason. Something must have crawled up his arse, for sure.
Well, why weren't more people discussing the subject, then? Are you gonna blame that on us jokesters? I didn't even think I was being all that bad. It doesn't matter that it took you an hour to write your post -- it took me an hour to write mine on God. There weren't many posts here. It was a two-way conversation before this mess started. It was basically a public PM.

and thank you JT for droppen a neg rep for no apparent reason.

wtg sport. welcome to the thread.

And I admit, I was tempted to crap on this thread as soon as I saw it. It's really quite easy to derail threads and whether or not you're willing to admit it, most of you are well aware of it when you're doing it.
This thread was asking for it in a way when it was like "Hotseat! God". That already sounds like a joke thread because it's pretending to be one of those question and answers threads, only Planet News made this really odd first post. I'm not saying it didn't make sense, but it was... different. That's how Planet News is.

But, I do not believe that we were intending to derail this thread. I think this is the natural course of this thread. I bet a lot of people were confused/disinterested in it to begin with. Yoda is simply defending those guys right to speak, and there's nothing wrong with that... but! In a way, he's kinda making it look like this thread deserves more special attention than others for some reason.

It's just kinda oddly suspicious. I mean, I was taken aback by what he said and I never get that feeling because of Yoda. I think it's been a long, long time. I'm not mad at him and I hope he's not mad at me for continuing to discuss this, but it is kinda surprising.

Yoda abusing his right as an Admin of the site by asking folks to stay on topic is about as ridiculous as Brett Favre texting pics of his penis to Jen Sterger. If that were truly the case then there wouldn't be the diverse crowd of people here that I have come to know and in some cases love and respect.
I don't see it as "abusing his right" unless something drastic had come out of this.

I mean, I've been booted off of sites before with NO warning whatsoever. Chris not only takes the time to try to get a thread on topic but he goes so far as to try to NOT ban people. Not to mention the fact that he very rarely goes into members posts and edits them however he sees fit, which is very common at a few other forums I frequent.
I love this place and I think he's a great admin. I would not have sticked around for 8-9 years if I didn't like this place and the people.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think we should drop it too. I'm betting that Yoda just had the most "spiritual" occurrence of his life. He made vows to a woman to spend eternity with her. That's pretty serious. Today is my 23rd wedding anniversary, and I don't want to hijack the thread, so PM me or something, but I had a Christian service and if you want to pity me for being an idiot, that's OK, but do it elsewhere. I'm still married. I know there must be somebody on here who's been "happily married" for over 23 years. If so, PM me and I'll start the "Awesome Married Couples" thread. It doesn't matter what sex the couple is. I just need some truth, Ruth, in a PM.

Now, we return you to this awesome thread.

So you take the time to call out folks mark, but then want all responses via pm?

why not just engage in pm right away so as not to litter the thread?

Also I'd Happily participate in Awesome Married Couples thread.

Though we'd probably bore the single folks to oblivion.

I believe as Einstein and Newton did. They believed in a God.
You have a lot of company -- just not me.

What? I don't understand what you mean.
A lot of people feel as you do. I'm just not one of them.