Post-Oscars Perspective (2019)

Tools    

It didn't take long for the "president" to tweet about the Oscars, aiming his twitter-finger attack at Spike Lee.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-bas...123716258.html
I wonder if he has enough self consciousness to know Keegan-Michael Key's umbrella gag was making fun of him? I wouldn't want to be the staffer who has to tell him.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Guess it depends on where you or anyone else draws the line between cheesy hokum and actually mistreatment of the subject matter
Yep, that's exactly what it depends on.

perhaps the line is blurred or even non-existent depending on who you ask and giving these subjects such a trite and vacuous run-through as Green Book arguably did is disrespectful enough in its own right. I'll concede that we can't automatically project either narrative onto Lee anyway.
This is why I preemptively mentioned the possibility and included the word "internally." That said, I don't think a good argument can be made that Green Book represents some kind of racial conflict negligence by depicting an actual story about racial tension and (ultimately) friendship. Calling it actually disrespectful is a huge stretch, and seems like the same kind of purity test stuff that ultimately sabotages a lot of social progress in the name of that same progress. A movie with a gay black man as the co-lead just won Best Picture, and it's not only not woke enough, but worth turning your back on? That's nutty.

Also, the fact that Lee lost to it (and wasn't a neutral bystander) has to be factored into the equation, too.

Spike Lee is an incredible, visually inventive film director, but he's got issues and takes a kind of Malcolm X approach when it comes to tackling racism, which I feel is understandable but highly destructive. I'm still very much looking forward to seeing BlackKklansman, though.

Also:

OLIVIA!!!

Welcome to the human race...
Holden made a more extensive post on the matter in the Best Picture thread, but I think it might just be that Green Book is less representative of progress than of stagnation even when it comes to telling an ostensibly progressive story. The perfect may be the enemy of the good, but the same could be said of the good enough.

Anyway, I guess this is what Spike really made of it:

In the Oscars oddities file, Bohemian Rhapsody won four of the five Oscars it was nominated for, including one of the Big Eight in Malik as Best Actor. Somebody who has access to the archives would have to check this, but it must be the only case certainly in Oscar history from the past fifty or sixty years, that a film has won multiple Academy Awards and the director was not personally thanked even once. Never even name checked. There were broad thanks to "the crew", but not credited helmer Bryan Singer, now exiled in a cloud of sex abuse allegations, who was so disliked on set that he left for Thanksgiving break and never returned (or was fired, depending on who is telling the story), nor cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel who filled the gap for a bit, and certainly not Dexter Fletcher who completed the bulk of the film.

An editor works for many weeks with the director after the shooting is complete to shape the final film, as well as starting to make choices as the footage is coming in. Which I think is clearly why John Ottman got the nomination, acknowledgement from his peers (the other editors in the Academy who do the nominating) that he had to work much harder and under different circumstances than usual to make Bohemian Rhapsody at all coherent, much less see it turn into a massive hit. He won the Eddie Award from the American Cinema Editors (which is the ACE designation you will see after an editor's name for onscreen credits). They break their yearly awards into drama and comedy categories, and he won for drama. But even given that it was still a bit of a surprise to hear his name called at the Oscars. The voting body at large wouldn't necessarily appreciate his unusual work chaos as fully as editors and directors would, and objectively outside of maybe the Live Aid sequence (which BTW was directed mostly by Singer), it is not a very well or interestingly edited film and has a few scenes that are just plain dull or clunky.

Yet Ottman won the Oscar. He did not thank Singer (naturally), but nor did he thank Fletcher.

There are very strict protections in place that make it very, very difficult to get a director's credit taken away once filming has begun. It is called The Eastwood Rule. It is supposed to protect directors from having a producer or studio come in behind them and take their credit or replace them. If a director doesn't have final cut in his contract they may have the film changed without the directors consent, but they can't replace him and then have somebody else credited. Even if the cut was taken away it would still be credited to the director. This came to the fore on The Outlaw Josey Wales and interestingly again on another Eastwood project Tightrope. For Wales production began with Phil Kaufman as director. Star and producer Eastwood didn't like the way things were going (including both men rumored to wanting to date actress Sandra Locke) so he fired Phil. Eastwood took over and has sole directorial credit on The Outlaw Josey Wales.

To ensure this didn't happen again, the DGA made this "Eastwood Rule", where once a DGA member signs a contract to direct a film unless they ask for their credit to be removed themselves it is their film. Violations come with penalties, including fines levied against the production and certain crew members and the Directors Guild could choose to revoke the membership of whoever replaces the removed original director, which would make it difficult for them to work in the Hollywood system. This bit Eastwood himself in the butt on Tightrope when he fired Richard Tuggle a few days into filming and replaced him. The finished film bares Tuggle's name and not Clint's, thanks to the Eastwood Rule.

Which is why Bryan Singer is the credited director of Bohemian Rhapsody. Who nobody at the Oscars was going to acknowledge, including his former collaborators who won Oscar gold.

A system of cells interlinked
Holden made a more extensive post on the matter in the Best Picture thread, but I think it might just be that Green Book is less representative of progress than of stagnation even when it comes to telling an ostensibly progressive story. The perfect may be the enemy of the good, but the same could be said of the good enough.

Anyway, I guess this is what Spike really made of it:

Reading this discussion so far, why would a story of reconciliation and friendship in regards to racism be considered stagnant, while Lee's more hostile approach would be considered more progressive? Unless of course the real goal of today's progressives isn't reconciliation and peace...

Reading this discussion so far, why would a story of reconciliation and friendship in regards to racism be considered stagnant, while Lee's more hostile approach would be considered more progressive? Unless of course the real goal of today's progressives isn't reconciliation and peace...
Having a forgiving, constructive and reconciliatory nature is considered "weak" these days. On both sides.

Having a forgiving, constructive and reconciliatory nature is considered "weak" these days. On both sides.
This, basically. This is why people confuse anger with depth on a lot of topics. They think the reconciliation-focused messages are facile (and sometimes they are), and reflexively treat angrier treatments, which are just as facile in another direction, as if they were more serious or meaningful.

Being mad isn't inherently more perceptive than being schmaltzy. At best, the schmaltz is childhood and the anger is adolescence, but let's not confuse either with adulthood.

Colman winning and her speech was the definite highlight of the ceremony, for me.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wonder if he has enough self consciousness to know Keegan-Michael Key's umbrella gag was making fun of him? I wouldn't want to be the staffer who has to tell him.

I still can't get over this moment. One among hundreds.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, this was a garbage show for the most part. Only thing that redeemed it was the plethora of salt that came out of "Film Twitter" and other "social media" platforms after Green Book won the big prize (I'll get to that later).

PROS:
  • No host
  • "Bao" winning animated short
  • "Shallow" winning best original song
  • Into the Spider Verse winning animated feature
  • Spike Lee winning his first Oscar
  • Alfonso Cuarón winning 3 Oscars in the same night
  • Olivia Colman winning (rightfully so) in a upset over Glenn Close
  • That amazing "Shallow" performance between Cooper and Lady Gaga

CONS:
  • Both “openings” (that “Queen” medley, and those “””jokes””” with 3 nobodies I don’t care about; Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler - why does Hollywood keep trying to force this trifecta of unfunny on me?)
  • The Favourite winning no technicals
  • Black Panther winning costume and production design
  • Bohemian Rhapsody winning both sound awards and film editing
  • Ali winning Supporting Actor
  • King winning Supporting Actress
  • Rami Malek winning Best Actor
  • Green Book winning original screenplay
  • Green Book winning best picture

And now onto the sad reminder that the Academy Awards is now made for nobody but a class of people that are (rightfully and thankfully) dwindling in influence. Found some gems while salt mining (vulgar language applies to all of these).

Seems like these folks are having contempt for this win for all the wrong reasons.

Seriously, but I just don't see how anyone could actually watch this movie about a highly respected, cultured, educated black man being chauffeured around by a fat nearly-illiterate goomba bouncer, and come away with the impression that the white guy "saved" the black guy. I don't think they even watched the movie. They just saw the trailer, saw some leftist circlejerk “woke” articles from the MSM, and made assumptions. Even the fried chicken scene that had people all butthurt, was a fat white guy who loves greasy chicken, eats like an animal, and doesn't mind littering, while the black man can't bring himself to eat with his hands because he's too fancy. I dunno what else these people want, honestly. Didn't 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight win a couple of years ago? These people will never be happy... then again, as the saying goes: "if you give a mouse a cookie".

Anyway, it don't matter. None of this matters. Everyone in Hollywood is an absolutely terrible person so they try to mask it by proclaiming how progressive and inclusive they all are. It's all fake.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I thought Green Book was the epitome of ho-hum but I really don't get the outrage. I certainly don't see it as a white saviour movie, if anything it's a black saviour movie. I totally understand I am coming from a place of privilege so please spare me pointing that out.

It was a but of overkill being in the rain during the middle of the night. I do like the scene whereAli's character asks if I'm not white or black enough than what am I. It's a decent little snapshot into our culture. We are trying to become more inclusive but I think instead we have created all these tinier boxes to slot people into. There is no room for movement or growth right now.

I think most people feel an some sort of island right now. I know I sure as hell do. Probably always been that way but I definitely think there are more subcultures than ever and that makes people feel lonelier and lonelier.

This is not me pining for the good old days by any means but I think we need to take a more nuanced look at what we actually want progressive to look like. the pendulum may be swinging on group think but group think is still a bad look if we are trying to let love prevail.

Welcome to the human race...
Leaving aside the all-too-easy comparisons to Driving Miss Daisy covering the same ground with a similar premise a full thirty years earlier, I'd say that it's because the familiar narrative carries with it an air of simplistic complacency about the state of race relations that barely challenges audiences and the status quo (if at all), ultimately resulting in a film that comes across as empty and ineffectual in its treatment of the subject matter. Compare that to BlacKkKlansman not only interrogating its "good" white characters but also its black protagonist for choosing to be complicit in a police system with a history of violence against black people, though even it still settles for conventional storytelling techniques like making virtually all its KKK characters into gormless backwoods idiots in keeping with existing stereotypes.

Regarding the matter of peace, it becomes a question of what truly qualifies as "peace" - I think of that MLK quote about (paraphrasing here) white moderates who will settle for a lack of identifiable racial violence that they arbitrarily deem good enough to qualify as true peace, so I can understand where the "hostile approach" is coming from in arguing that that actually isn't good enough.

Seems like these folks are having contempt for this win for all the wrong reasons.

Seriously, but I just don't see how anyone could actually watch this movie about a highly respected, cultured, educated black man being chauffeured around by a fat nearly-illiterate goomba bouncer, and come away with the impression that the white guy "saved" the black guy. I don't think they even watched the movie. They just saw the trailer, saw some leftist circlejerk “woke” articles from the MSM, and made assumptions. Even the fried chicken scene that had people all butthurt, was a fat white guy who loves greasy chicken, eats like an animal, and doesn't mind littering, while the black man can't bring himself to eat with his hands because he's too fancy. I dunno what else these people want, honestly. Didn't 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight win a couple of years ago? These people will never be happy... then again, as the saying goes: "if you give a mouse a cookie".
What would you consider the right reasons?

Anyway, consider the whole exchange about how Tony claims that, between loving fried chicken and recognising popular black musicians like Little Richard, he's "blacker" than the immersed-in-high-white-culture Don. There are also the ways in which Don distances himself from other black people (e.g. refusing to play horseshoes at the motel) or is distanced from white people (e.g. pretty much the whole movie), which all culminates in his "what am I?" breakdown after having to be released from jail (especially after he only gets released because he has a connection to Robert Kennedy, which he considers demeaning since - get this - he had to get saved by a white man) and eventually reaches its triumphant stick-it-to-the-man climax by having him ditch his last concert in order to just play for fun at an all-black bar, a decision he arguably wouldn't have made without Tony's continued influence and increased willingness to stick up for him in situations where he either couldn't (or wouldn't allow himself to) do it himself. It also doesn't help that the narrative clearly centres Tony as the protagonist over Don so that it's more about watching his journey.

As for bringing up 12 Years A Slave or Moonlight - I would think that proves the point rather than defeat it since it meant a new standard had been set for the Academy moving forward that only makes Green Book look like a comparatively archaic choice, to say nothing of how condescending it sounds to act like having a grand total of two movies about black people win Best Picture means nobody can complain when the latest winner half-asses its own use of black people as a subject.

Must be doin sumthin right
I haven't seen the movie but the clip they showed of Rami Malek just lip syncing and making a "eureka" face after perfectly inventing the studio-quality version of the song Bohemian Rhapsody seemed very stupid. Seeing Olivia Colman pull off the transition to academy award winning actress has been surreal, I hope Dobby from Peep Show can have a similar arc. Spike Lee is funny but he shouldn't take them rewarding lame movies so personally. I like Paul Schrader's line on how he felt after losing best screenplay to Green Book - "You can't compete with mediocrity"

I can't stop laughing when I see that
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Olivia Colman's acceptance speech is by far the most adorable moment of the entire award telecast. She's just too sweet, funny and genuine. I fell in love with her right there and then. Clearly, she was not expecting to win, and neither were her The Favourite co-stars and colleagues.

I REALLY wanted Glenn Close to win, but I have to admit I LOVED Olivia's speech...I love when a winner is genuinely shocked to win and she was...she clearly did not prepare anything to say but everything she said was golden, including her apology to Glenn Close.