How Do You Decide On Your Favorite Movies?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum, SC.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

i use flickchart.com as an aid. it's a site where movies are pitted against each other head to head and you end up getting your rankings
I LOVE THIS WEBSITE NOW.

Thank you for showing me this. It's exactly what I needed.

Everybody should join this site. It'll help you figure out your favorite movies and it's fun and really cool. There are tons of awesome movie posters you can see for your favorite films.

I've devised a simple algorithm which i think works fairly well.

(IMDB*Rotten Tomatoes) + (Year of Movie*Movie Length) = x
If the movie has subtitles the score is then divided by 2, and on top of that if the movie is in black and white it's divided again by 2.

So according to my calculations, Tranformers: Dark Side of the Moon is my number 1 with a rating of 309,924.4.

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE NOW.

Thank you for showing me this. It's exactly what I needed.

Everybody should join this site. It'll help you figure out your favorite movies and it's fun and really cool. There are tons of awesome movie posters you can see for your favorite films.
So thats addicting. I found my new favorite thing to do when Movie Forums is slow, or I am awake at 3 o'clock in the flippin morning.

Yeah, that site is a bit crap.

Out of the thousands I've chosen I've been doing a rerank of the films in my list and it reckons Harry Potter is my #18 film... I haven't clicked Harry Potter as a preference over any film it came up against.

According to that site, RoboCop isn't even in the Top 200...

Weird.
You must be doing it wrong or something. Mine looks about right. In fact, I'll probably be using it for my next Top 100 list.

I learned not to just rank whatever it throws at me. I search for movies I like and only include those in my list. As if I'm making a Top 100 list. I don't rank films it just gives me. I began by doing that, but realized I didn't like it, so I deleted the films it threw randomly at me.

You might like doing random films, but I don't.

Wow, Rodent. Who knew you liked Zoolander so much?

It has Predator kinda high on your list and I know you like that.

I think this site is good at getting your true feelings about movies out. When you have to pick between things, it's interesting.

Maybe First Blood is really your favorite movie, Rodent. Think about it. Embrace it.

I might have to start teasing him with First Blood instead of Young Guns. The truth is out!

Apparently Logan's Run is my #9... I only clicked on it once and it hasn't appeared again yet so looks like it's staying at #9.

Apparently I like Mrs. Doubtfire more than I thought. More than Mannequin.

So far I'm not at all impressed with Flick Chart. After 835 rankings, It has Pineapple Express as my #2 movie. I think I voted for it in all of one match and that was only because the other movie sucked. On the other hand, I've voted for Dances With Wolves many times over other movies and it's not even in my so-called Top 20 according to them.

Other head scratchers in my "Top 20"

Babe
Hot Shots
Office Space
Contact

WTF.

Yeah I've give up on Flick Chart... most long winded way of doing it ever.

It'd be useful as a diary of films you've seen... but it's be quicker to then look up the list, type every single one into Word and then organise it yourself.

So far I'm not at all impressed with Flick Chart. After 835 rankings, It has Pineapple Express as my #2 movie. I think I voted for it in all of one match and that was only because the other movie sucked. On the other hand, I've voted for Dances With Wolves many times over other movies and it's not even in my so-called Top 20 according to them.

Other head scratchers in my "Top 20"

Babe
Hot Shots
Office Space
Contact

WTF.
I have just made a profile for the site too, and I am having the same frustration. I have played the system a bit by ranking some of my favorite directors. Now I was able to get Taxi Driver as number 1, but Dr Starngelove is WAY too low for me. And why is Hot Fuzz in my top 20?

I will stick to doing this the old fashioned way.