The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Haven't seen anything from Ozu yet, as I said earlier I have Tokyo Story ready to watch depending on what I feel about it I may follow It up with one of his 60s films that have made it so far.

I'm a massive Beatles fan so I think I'll watch A Hard Days Night along with Yellow Submarine when I'm in the mood.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The only thing about Ozu movies after seeing a few, is that after time passes, I have a hard time telling one from another.
Like that one where they use a static camera and quick cuts? Business men sit around, eat, drink and smoke and try to marry off their children?

A Hard Days Night was my number 8 , could've been higher too. Mark had some excellent words about it, it's just irreverent, funny and playful in a way that at the time was fresh and innovative. I hope if you watch it for the first time now, like Camo, you can try and think yourself into what it might have felt like back then, in those more staid times in the UK
Not only that, but personally, the Beatles were our boys, a few years younger than my mum and dad, they'd been born near us, lived by us and we went to the same schools. We loved seeing them there on the big screen . Happy times

What DOESN'T suck with you, Honeykid?! You appreciate nothing.
You're the one who was calling the films "crud". You're also the person who's complained about every one of these lists.

I know you're on a mission to piss everyone off atm in some kind of site version of suicide by cop, but leave me out of it.

To be fair to SC I think this thread would be a lot more interesting if he felt interested in it. I have noticed a lot of Harsh words being thrown at him, at this point I feel like crap if I have encouraged that, people seem to feel its OK to mess with him since he produces controversy.

Sorry SC

Master of My Domain
There is no need to apologize. SC being more positive about this thread would make him more interested - exactly, but he isn't even trying. I don't know why he needs to keep tackling every single big subject. I know it's part of his "character" on here and all, though I have never saw the harm in being positive and easy-going for at least once. I got to see Sexy's old posts by coincidence a few times, he was a bit lighter and even watched a good amount of classic films back then, and at the same time being hilarious. Wonder what happened.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw An Autumn Afternoon a week or so ago. I thought it was a very good film. I completely see what people are saying when they say all Ozu films are similar and they blend into one. I watched it the day after I watched Late Autumn which really didn't help! It is a bit like watching a good remake of a good film, it's hard to say which is better. But without the aspect of copying someone else's work which is always an issue with remakes, he's basically remaking his own films. I think I liked Late Autumn more, but An Autumn Afternoon is certainly very good, more bittersweet and more focused on the old man and his realisation of his age, his nostalgia for the past and the need for his children to move on and live their own lives, which give it a certain weight and poignancy which I appreciated.

I couldn't stand A Hard Day's Night, sorry Beatles fans. Mind you, it has been some years since I watched it.

I know you're on a mission to piss everyone off atm in some kind of site version of suicide by cop, but leave me out of it.
I'm what?

There is no need to apologize. SC being more positive about this thread would make him more interested - exactly, but he isn't even trying. I don't know why he needs to keep tackling every single big subject. I know it's part of his "character" on here and all, though I have never saw the harm in being positive and easy-going for at least once. I got to see Sexy's old posts by coincidence a few times, he was a bit lighter and even watched a good amount of classic films back then, and at the same time being hilarious. Wonder what happened.
I've barely made a dent in this thread. I didn't even post the gong or Yoko Ono for yesterday's movies. I merely looked at the list of the movies that popped up so far yesterday and threw out a flimsy "WTF?" Big deal. Continue with your '60s countdown. Don't know why you're treating me like I'm a big deal in here.....

And Honeykid, you DO go around saying everything sucks all the time. Sure, I've ridiculed some aspects of these countdowns, but you chirp, "This is crap! This is crap! This is crap!" ALL THE DAMN TIME.

For the record, I'm not.

I am most definitely not on a mission to piss everyone off here. I am surprised and hurt that you are even accusing me of that. I'd like to know more about why you think so, but for the record, I'm not. I was not trying to piss you off. You do go around all the time saying everything is crap. I didn't feel like I was doing anything to try to piss you off by saying that. It's obvious to me and probably to most people that you go around all the time saying practically every movie ever made is crap. You do strike me as someone who doesn't appreciate much.

I watched An Autumn Afternoon this morning as it made the list yesterday, definitely see why many here love it and why it's on the list. Definitely made me want to get a drink. Haven't seen A Hard Days Night

Finished here. It's been fun.
An Autumn Afternoon was very high on my list. My favorite Ozu film in general, and one of the greatest swan songs in the history of cinema. The movie is touching, beautiful,poignant, and deeply profound; I think it is much more subtle than Tokyo Story, although I love that film as well. I teared up quite a few times during An Autumn Afternoon. It is an stunningly beautiful tale that interweaves very profound themes about old age,responsibility, as well as the inevitable passing of time. Pretty much everything in the film clicks for me, and I'm sure that as I get older I will only appreciate it even more. It is quite simply put, one of the greatest films of all-time, and one of the very greatest films of the 1960's. I'd highly recommend it for people that are looking to get into Ozu. I'm glad it got a high placement on this list, it sure as heck deserves it.

It is also hilarious as well. There's a great combination of comedic as well as dramatic elements.

Very happy to see An Autumn Afternoon make it - didn't realise it was so popular. I had it at number 10. I get what Cricket is saying about the films blending together a bit - I personally have a bit of trouble due to them having similar names. Using seasons is great in terms of describing the time of life being looked at but it often doesn't create a memorable link to each film. It's actually odd that the English titles were often not direct translations - the Japanese title for AAA is actually The Taste of Mackeral Pike. It would be hard to forget which film that was

I've not seen A Hard Days Night - no idea why as I love The Beatles.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 38 of 48

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (4)
97. Seconds