The MoFo Animated Musicals Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Lion King

My favorite of the Disney Renaissance films. Although I hadn't seen this in quite sometime, it's one of the films I have seen the most in my lifetime probably, with the majority of the viewings coming as a kid. The soundtrack is the best in animated movie history, the characters are likeable and there are some funny parts to me. the animation itself is very well made. I really like the story and the morals that it tries to teach us, like "remembering who you are" and the importance of family. It will be high up on my list certainly, exactly where I'm not sure yet.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Charlotte's Web
The biggest problem I had with this film was definitely the animation. While I've praised almost every movie I watched in this HoF for it's animation, this one really fell flat. Sometimes when the animals were standing, it didn't look like they were actually standing on the ground, and that really took me out of the movie. I enjoyed the las 1/3 much more than the first, and it boosted up my rating quite a bit. The music was alright, but nothing at all memorable, and some of them got a bit repetitive. It wasn't the worst movie I've seen from this HoF, but it won't be near the top of my list.
+

Allegro non Troppo

This was one of the only films nominated that I hadn't seen before, and it was very good. The only reason I wouldn't put is so high on my list however is because I liked the live action sequences much more than the animated ones. I thought the live action was funny and meta, I loved how they got a call form Disney at the beginning . The animation style was very interesting, but I wouldn't call it great. I reminded me of Terry Gilliam's animation for Monty Python, but much less crude. The music was alright, but nothing really stood out to me, and none of the segments were that memorable.

-

Only 3 more to go!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Beauty and the Beast

Why do I love this movie so much? Well, it is probably for some of the same reasons that a lot of people hate it.

It isn't a secret to some people here that it is a top favorite of mine. But I don't just love this movie. I really love it.

My brother and I saw it in the theater during its first release. I was immediately drawn into it with the first moment of seeing a faint castle in the distance through the forest. And I thought that the various images depicted in a stained glass style were actually beautiful with the colors that were used inside those drawings.

But then Belle appears. After she sings her little bit about the town, the townspeople appear to greet everyone. And then she continues her song. A song that is quite a happy tune. I can still remember my brother turning to me and saying "It is nothing but a Broadway musical". He looked back at the screen and then faced me again to say "And you're loving every minute of it, aren't you?". All I did was smile.

And the funny thing about that comment is that eventually Disney did bring it to Broadway. I guess my brother deserves the credit for that thought.

Now, why I really love this movie.

The music. I love the music. Yes, it is very musical theater. More so than anything in "The Little Mermaid" or "Aladdin". Alan Menken and Howard Ashman were fine with those films, but they seemed to go back to their musical theater style with this one (they are the ones who composed "Little Shop of Horrors", which was originally a stage show before a movie). Very rarely do I enjoy every song in a musical. There is, at least, one (even two) that I find very torturous to sit through (and those are generally the audience favorites). But with BATB, there isn't one song that I can say is even mediocre to me. Each song has its own style to it. From the boisterous "Gaston" to the soft and more subdued title song. I just cannot find fault with any of it. For those of you who have seen the Special Edition, I also really like "Human Again". This is the showtune-like waltz that was originally cut to shorten the length of the film.

The characters. I suppose Belle is my favorite because on some level I have always related to her. For one thing, she had brown hair. A Disney princess with BROWN hair?! Don't bring up Snow White. She has black hair. That still isn't as "dull" as brown. So, there was a princess that shared my hair color. But she is also a huge bookworm. Another thing that I could relate to. Not to mention her independent personality, imagination and keen to desire to have so much more in life.

As for the other characters, I like them all. I can't complain about any of them. I really like that the humans were turned into inanimate objects. They became images of objects that reflected what they were like as humans. And I find the fact that even though they are these objects that can still think, speak, move and feel, it makes the outcome of what their lives are doomed to be like an even worse realization for the reason that they still have those human qualities. And which one do I like best? Well, this sexy little guy right here.

As for Gaston, I really like him as a villain. His villainous ways are not driven by any powers or burning desire to rule a land. No, his villainy is based on egotism. To make it that simple is a clever thing to do.

And one thing that I really appreciate with this film is that every actor who did the speaking voice of their character also did that character's singing voice.

The animation. I love the look of the characters. I love the look of the background. I love the colors. I love the contrast between dark and light. If I had one complaint, it would be that the darkness of the castle should've been a little more gothic in feeling. Otherwise, I can't complain.

I don't even have an issue with how fast their romance blossomed. Two things. #1 - If you pay attention to the "background", the seasons change. So, she has been there for awhile. #2 - It is under 90 minutes. They can't take that much time with the courtship when they still have to fit everything else into the movie, too. Of course, there is "Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas" (a non-theatrical film which uses all the same actors in their respected leads - thankfully). That very nicely fills the gap between one time and the other that helps to show more of a romance beginning between Belle and the Beast. But that is something that is only recommended to people who really love the original movie.

So, to end this, yes, I love "Beauty and the Beast". I have watched the movie so many times that I've lost count. I saw "Beauty and the Beast On Ice" twice. I saw the stage production 3 times. I own majority of the Walt Disney Classics Collection figurines (lack of money kept me from buying the most recent - I probably won't be able to ever get them now ). I also own other things like non-WDCC figurines, pictures, a desk set, cross stitch kit (I haven't been able to start it yet), et.c. So, I suppose to say that I "love" BATB would almost be an understatement.

Alice in Wonderland

I really didn't remember that much about this movie because I saw it a long time ago, but it was still very entertaining. I didn't remember how much of the movie was Alice just wandering around and talking to people, and while that sounds boring, it was very entertaining. The music didn't stand out, but I don't think it needed to. The highlight were the many colorful characters that have become iconic in pop culture. I especially enjoyed all of the scenes with the queen, even though they were only the last 15 minutes or so. It was much better than I remembered as a child.

+

Only two more, I plan to watch both of them tomorrow

The Jungle Book

I enjoyed this movie mostly because of its simplicity. It was one of those movies you can just sit back, watch, and enjoy. Like many of the other nominated movies I hadn't seen this since I was very young, and I definitely liked it much more as a child. Even with that I still liked the movie and it is probably one of the top ten disney animated movies.

+

Only one more!

Beauty and the Beast

I was very happy to discover that this film definitely held up from when I was a kid, and is still a great movie. It is one of the best aged children's movies, and I think it even got better with time. The songs are catchy, the story is great, and the animation is beautiful. This was the first animated movie to ben nominated for best picture and it doesn't surprise me at all.

That concludes all of my viewings for this Hall of Fame. This was my first HoF, and it was a lot of fun. It resulted in some of the most nostalgic movie experiences I've ever had. I will be sending my list in soon, and will definitely participate in future HoF. Good luck South Park!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I've received five ballots including my own.
I'm sorry. I meant do that the other day and it completely left my mind (I have just had too much going on lately to keep everything straight). I will get that to you now.

As I already said, I'm not making any decisions about disqualifications right now. Based on participation in this thread (or lack thereof), I see an additional 3 nominations that may end up being at risk of the chopping block as well, which will leave us with a really tiny pool of films. Anastasia is still out, unless GBG or somebody else is willing and able to convince all of the participants - including those who've already voted - to watch it and rank it. Otherwise there's no point in reinstating it because it won't have received the same number of votes as the other films.

So, again, for now act as if all remaining nominations are still qualified and decisions will be made closer to the deadline.