Favorite films that no one else seems to know?

Tools    

I love Primal Fear! Even though I can't stand Richard Gere.

(no way, that rhymes)

Anyway, I guess people on a movie forum would have heard of some of these lesser known films. But these are the good English Language films that nobody I speak to seems to have heard of:

The Sure Thing
Escape from Sobibor
Triangle
Take Shelter
Cube

Wow, this thread is a treasure trove of interesting films I wasn't aware of. Jackpot! Looks like I gotta get my hunter-gatherer skills going full-on and find these suckers...

And yeah, Primal Fear, The Hidden, Triangle, all great.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I will add more films to the thread... a Danish Zombie film

a Swiss horror film

a Dutch horror film

Oh yeah, I'll also add two of my favorite horrors that I almost never see mentioned:

Stake Land, a post-apocalyptic vampire tale which beats the crap outta I Am Legend...

and Ravenous, a darkly funny take on the Wendigo legend set in the 1800s. It's a gory and smart satire of both cannibalism cliches and "Manifest Destiny". Great soundtrack too.

Oh yeah, I'll also add two of my favorite horrors that I almost never see mentioned:

Stake Land, a post-apocalyptic vampire tale which beats the crap outta I Am Legend...

and Ravenous, a darkly funny take on the Wendigo legend set in the 1800s. It's a gory and smart satire of both cannibalism cliches and "Manifest Destiny". Great soundtrack too.
Seen "Ravenous" with Guy Pearce... I didnt find it that great... sowwy.....

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by ScarletLion
Take Shelter
That movie was definitely interesting. Not sure that it really hit all the notes that it was going for, but it was refreshingly unique with great atmosphere and really strong performances.

MovieGal, you might like Undead, if you haven't seen it already. It's a fairly low-budget Australian zombie flick, and admittedly it's not the most well-reviewed film around. It's pretty silly and over-the-top. But it's all deliberate and some of the film's turns are a bit more interesting than one would expect from a campy movie like this. I get the sense that it was just a fun production all around.

MovieGal, you might like Undead, if you haven't seen it already. It's a fairly low-budget Australian zombie flick, and admittedly it's not the most well-reviewed film around. It's pretty silly and over-the-top. But it's all deliberate and some of the film's turns are a bit more interesting than one would expect from a campy movie like this. I get the sense that it was just a fun production all around.

Thank you for the suggestion but I actually dont like low budget horror films. As for "Opstandelsen", it looks by the trailer to be low budget but its actually very well done.....

but thank you again.

The Music of Chance

Blood & Concrete: a love story

The Ballad of Little Jo

The Stars Fell on Henrietta

Breaking In

Man of the Century

Incident at Loch Ness

The Coca-Cola Kid

How I Got Into College

Parents

Five Corners

The Butcher Boy

Apartment Zero

The Man Who Copied

The Secret Life of Words
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I actually had Primal Fear 25th on my 90's list. I like Rounders too.
thats it !!

don't know

In the Beginning...
Incident at Loch Ness
This is a great mockumentary. Caught it one night on Showtime (maybe?) and just couldn't stop watching. Really fun movie.

Also, much like the film, that trailer is ridiculous.

Samurai Cop

TV Sheriff and The Telebuddies

Tribulation 99

Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

█ █ █ █ █
Among my favorites, those are probably some of the most unknown movies:

Well I wouldn't say that no one seems to know it, but too many people haven't seen it:

Quills (Philip Kaufman, 2000)

I feel like I'm slowly making people more aware of it on these boards but I mention it in real life and almost invariably people say "What's that?"

I enjoyed Quills when I first seen it years and years ago... being a fan of the writings of deSade .. of course I will watch a film about his life...

Here are a few more unknown gems.

Opium: Diary of a Mad Woman (Hungary)

A very beautiful film, something that should not be missed!

A Chinese Torture Chamber Story (China)

a bit risque but fun to watch... there is some humor to the film. There is a Part 2 as well and just as fun to view.

Tras el cristal (Spain)

Enjoyable horror film.