Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

But God,if they cut out 90% of first hour it would be same thing...They showed us so many things that I didn't care about...I mean they are landing for 20-30min...Ok yea I can imagine how it looked back in 79 but that is not the problem,it was just to long.
If the pacing was the main problem, then see Aliens. You'll probably love it. It has loads of action and there's not one slow scene in the movie, if I recall correctly.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
If the pacing was the main problem, then see Aliens. You'll probably love it. It has loads of action and there's not one slow scene in the movie, if I recall correctly.
Yea Ill watch it tomorrow,Ill watch whole trilogy in next few days...Don't take me wrong I'm not some huge action fan,when I say it is slow I mean nothing is happening,nothing at all,if you start watching movie at 1hour mark you would be there to see when they come to ship etc...I don't say they need to have action all the time but something...

Finished here. It's been fun.
Khan you will really enjoy Aliens.I personally prefer Alien, but Aliens is the more entertaining and action-packed of the two by a wide margin.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Montalban, when you say ridiculous things like they are landing for 20-30 minutes, there's no point to discuss.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
But God,if they cut out 90% of first hour it would be same thing...They showed us so many things that I didn't care about...I mean they are landing for 20-30min...Ok yea I can imagine how it looked back in 79 but that is not the problem,it was just to long.
I certainly see what you mean, but I believe its slow-burning, often subdued nature did nothing but enhance the overall atmosphere and feel of the film. This is what seperates Alien from many other science fiction horrors - it seems to place greater emphasis on mood, which ultimately makes everything seem so much more plausible and real, a lacking feature in many films of this genre. Without the gradual build-up, it would have merely came across as another shallow action piece. On its surface, the premise for the film seems very B-grade, very amateurish, but it was Scott who took a seemingly 'passable' script and turned it into something truly harrowing and creepy. Scott seemed to emulate Kubrick a lot early in his career, with Alien being very reminiscent of 2001 and The Duelists being very reminiscent of Barry Lyndon, so it comes as no surprise the film pursued this 'slowish' approach.

Good post but casting pearls before swine.
As much as I disagree with his post, his complaints are certainly not unusual, and I have heard them numerous times before, so I can completely see where he is coming from. Maybe seeing things from a different perspective can hinder his views/expectations of the film if he ever decides to rewatch it sometime down the road. Or perhaps I am being too optimistic.

I certainly see what you mean, but I believe its slow-burning, often subdued nature did nothing but enhance the overall atmosphere and feel of the film. This is what seperates Alien from many other science fiction horrors - it seems to place greater emphasis on mood, which ultimately makes everything seem so much more plausible and real, a lacking feature in many films of this genre. Without the gradual build-up, it would have merely came across as another shallow action piece. On its surface, the premise for the film seems very B-grade, very amateurish, but it was Scott who took a seemingly 'passable' script and turned it into something truly harrowing and creepy. Scott seemed to emulate Kubrick a lot early in his career, with Alien being very reminiscent of 2001 and The Duelists being very reminiscent of Barry Lyndon, so it comes as no surprise the film pursued this 'slowish' approach.
It looks like some of people don't understand me...I don't want to see some crazy ass action...But here nothing happens,nothing at all,they just get signal and that is only thing that happens in first 60mins...And I didn't mean they are landing for 20-30 min I mean that whole action was taking that long,preparing,getting out etc...But 7.5 aint bad grade ...I will watch Aliens tomorrow so we will see.But yea you are right in some things I just don't like that very slow build up.

Good post but casting pearls before swine.
Sorry but I forgot to laugh...Mate,if I got bored because nothing happens in first hour then I got bored...It is slow build up very slow...It is not like something is happening so we have that build up,no nothing...I don't say it is bad!I just say it is not as good as people say it is...Some people love that slow build up,I don't...

EDIT-The Shining had perfect build up,it got me in the whole movie and never got me bored,that is good build up(for me),but here eh...

Finished here. It's been fun.

. Not bad, but It's been seen a million times before. Great neo-noir visuals though, and James Caan is badass as usual.

It looks like some of people don't understand me...I don't want to see some crazy ass action...But here nothing happens,nothing at all,they just get signal and that is only thing that happens in first 60mins...And I didn't mean they are landing for 20-30 min I mean that whole action was taking that long,preparing,getting out etc...But 7.5 aint bad grade ...I will watch Aliens tomorrow so we will see.But yea you are right in some things I just don't like that very slow build up.
That's a fair assessment, but from my viewpoint, it did nothing but enhance the creepiness of the film, ultimately making its action-packed sequences much more effective and intense. The purpose of these seemingly nothingness scenes was Scott's way of depicting the environment these characters are inhabiting. Isolated, shut-off, and ostracised (literally) from the rest of the world and most of humanity. The supposedly prolonged landing, whilst not only being visually beautiful, did not really seem empty because it guided the characters into this undisclosed and foreign world. It was really the 'starting point' of the film. Without these - what I feel as being - imperative moments, its horror would have seemed just... blunt and very ineffective.

I never liked Aliens too much, which is odd since I generally love Cameron's films, but it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts. Also, maybe you should try watching 2001: A Space Odyssey (if you haven't already) for curiosity's sake.

That's a fair assessment, but from my viewpoint, it did nothing but enhance the creepiness of the film, ultimately making its action-packed sequences much more effective and intense. The purpose of these seemingly nothingness scenes was Scott's way of depicting the environment these characters are inhabiting. Isolated, shut-off, and ostracised (literally) from the rest of the world and most of humanity. The supposedly prolonged landing, whilst not only being visually beautiful, did not really seem empty because it guided the characters into this undisclosed and foreign world. It was really the 'starting point' of the film. Without these - what I feel as being - imperative moments, its horror would have seemed just... blunt and very ineffective.

I never liked Aliens too much, which is odd since I generally love Cameron's films, but it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts. Also, maybe you should try watching 2001: A Space Odyssey (if you haven't already) for curiosity's sake.
I understand what you want to say but I will use The Shining as a explanation that movie had a perfect build up.I see what do you want to say,I just don't like that slow build up that is all...

Can you say something,like why do you think my opinion is wrong,maybe arguments?Come on man,I didn't say this movie is bad or anything...I won't say same thing thousand times...Just give me your opinion...Don't try to be smart ass...

KhaN,

alien didn't blow me away on first watch either

some time later, on second viewing.. may have been more than a year later.. gave it another shot. enoyed it a lot more. got my imagination going.. what would it be like to actually be part of the crew on the starfreighter Nostromo, a cargo ship in deep space

became fascinated by what it would be like to really be out there in space somewhere on a ship like this in the 22nd century. when i started thinking about it, i figured space travel would really be a lot more like Alien (1979)... as opposed to Star Wars. you'd have people onboard who are really only concerned with their pay, smoking cigarettes, etc

maybe our people won't go out in space like this movie... and it seems realistic to say space voyages like this won't happen in my lifetime. yet i think this is a really cool movie. think of what strange creatures could be lurking out there in dark places in the universe... heck, there's weird stuff here on earth too

Aliens is more accessible, it's a pulsing action film set in space. don't intend that as an insult, i liked it too. though i can say it didn't get my imagination going like Alien

don't know if you will enjoy Alien more on second viewing, perhaps not. just sharing my thoughts

final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. the other members of the crew, Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash and Captain Dallas, are dead. cargo and ship destroyed. i should reach the frontier in about six weeks. with a little luck, the network will pick me up. this is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off

Yea,maybe we will see ...And I still didn't watch Aliens so yea we will see about that ,Ill probably like it...It would be awesome if they had only some parts with something happening in first 60min ,when I say something,it dosent need to be mindless action,but something you know...That is my only problem with movie because 1 hour is just long...If that first part of movie was better for me verdict would be a lot better...Thanks for responding with arguments,not by talking how I'm wrong without any arguments...

Inside Llewyn Davis
Joel and Ethan Coen, 2013

As someone who appreciates folk music, I really enjoyed the songs in this movie. However, I found the movie as a whole hard to like. Not a lot actually happens. The titular character is kind of an a-hole and nobody else is all that interesting either. Aside from the music and the cute cat, I was pretty damn bored. I think it's apparent that, while I love their comedies, Coen brothers dramas aren't for me.

I'll give it a generous
+