Best Picture Oscar 2019

Tools    

Which gets your vote for Best Picture of the year?
4.65%
2 votes
BLACK PANTHER
6.98%
3 votes
BLACKkKLANSMAN
4.65%
2 votes
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
25.58%
11 votes
THE FAVOURITE
13.95%
6 votes
GREEN BOOK
25.58%
11 votes
ROMA
18.60%
8 votes
A STAR IS BORN
0%
0 votes
VICE
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

How do they decide whether to do eight nominees or nine? Flip a coin?
Pretty sure its something to do with the percentage of votes a film gets.

How do they decide whether to do eight nominees or nine? Flip a coin?

Each film has to hit a specific number on the ballots, but they need to have a minimum of 10% of said ballots

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Why would Black Panther be there and not Infinity War? Black Panther was a dull affair, maybe 7/10 at best but Infinity War has received universal praise and is the culmination of 10 years of generally good work.

Welcome to the human race...
Because Black Panther is more Deep and Meaningful than the average superhero spectacle (at the very least, on a level the Academy respects) and can also be appreciated as a more or less stand-alone film compared to the glorified mid-season finale that is Infinity War.

Oh my god, is that the list?

Quite a sad list isn't it.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Because Black Panther is more Deep and Meaningful than the average superhero spectacle (at the very least, on a level the Academy respects) and can also be appreciated as a more or less stand-alone film compared to the glorified mid-season finale that is Infinity War.
It's just another example of disparity between audience and critical opinion.

Black Panther was a dull predictable affair that looked like it had almost entirely been filmed on green screen.

According to Metacritic 40% of the audience gave BP mixed or negative reviews, scoring 6.6 overall yet 100% of the critics gave positive reviews. I mean what's going on here?

Meanwhile Infinty War gets 35% of critics giving it mixed and poor reviews, yet 90% of the public give it positive reviews, scoring 8.6 and returning +$2 billion.

It looks like yet again we have critics terrified to criticise something that might inflame the left, or result in them being labelled and their career suffering so they just bail out and take the safe road.

It looks like yet again we have critics terrified to criticise something that might inflame the left, or result in them being labelled and their career suffering so they just bail out and take the safe road.
100% spot on ^

Welcome to the human race...
It's just another example of disparity between audience and critical opinion.
So is Bohemian Rhapsody.

Black Panther was a dull predictable affair that looked like it had almost entirely been filmed on green screen.
And Infinity War is different...how exactly? Because all the characters are there and it ends on a big cliffhanger (which people criticised anyway because of how predictably it'll be resolved in the next film)? It's one thing to criticise Black Panther (and there are legitimate criticisms to be made), but if the issue is questioning its worth as an Oscar nominee (especially the first ever superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture) then it has a better claim than Infinity War for reasons I outlined in my last post.

According to Metacritic 40% of the audience gave BP mixed or negative reviews, scoring 6.6 overall yet 100% of the critics gave positive reviews. I mean what's going on here?
It's as if trying to determine a given film's worth by focusing on website percentages is missing the bigger picture.

Meanwhile Infinty War gets 35% of critics giving it mixed and poor reviews, yet 90% of the public give it positive reviews, scoring 8.6 and returning +$2 billion.
So much for your earlier claim of "universal praise", then.

Or maybe they did just like it.

Green Book.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I honestly surprised by the amount of praise Green Book is getting. It looks so boringly generic and preachy to me. Can someone convince me I'm missing out on something?

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
Neither Black Panther or Infinity War belong on the list, as far as I am concerned.

And neither of them were as good as Logan or GOTG....but anyways.

I'm glad Marvel finally got a BP nomination as they've basically subsidized the film industry for the last 20 years.

I just it wasn't with a film where the main character ended up "fighting himself" in a cheap CGI battle.

It's almost as if these things are subjective and not objective. I have an idea. They should have 100's of people who work in the industry vote on the awards so something close to consensus reflects in the outcome.