The 2023 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
I've only got three films and a couple of categories to go.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I've only got three films and a couple of categories to go.
I really admire and appreciate the dedication you have! Not sure how many people can say they've watched all the films, especially not if they have to go out of their way to watch the worst and most disappointing nominations.

Okay I sent in my votes. I don't get how The Zone of Interest is up for Best Director but not Best Film but oh well.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I don't get how The Zone of Interest is up for Best Director but not Best Film but oh well.
It got pushed out of the Best Film category in the 11th hour, and only lost its place by 1 point. Proof that every vote counts.

There is only 1 week left until the deadline!
It is not being extended for Godzilla Minus One, as much as I'd like to see that film before finalizing my ballot haha.

Once again I'm going to tag the people who participated in nominating films, but who haven't voted for the winners yet. I know some of you don't need the reminder, but I figured I'd tag everyone anyway, just in case!

@ApexPredator @LAMb EELYAK @PHOENIX74 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Tugg

I forgot the opening line.
Seen the lot (even Godzilla Minus One) and I feel like an exhausted marathon runner. There were 30 films all-up I hadn't seen - if you ever want to try and complete them, I advise people start immediately when the nominations are revealed. There were a few categories where seeing the film I hadn't seen made all of the difference. Anyway, it sure makes me feel like I've covered 2023. Things like Bottoms, The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers and Mission Impossible had been high on my list anyway, and the documentaries were mostly pleasant surprises.

Finals votes submitted!

As I've said before, I really appreciate and admire your commitment to seeing all the nominations!

I'm glad there were some pleasant surprises in there, and that it seems to have been time well spent after all. If, in future years, more people are interested in seeing all nominations (or as many of them as possible) before voting for a winner, we can always adjust the amount of time given between the finalists reveal and the voting deadline.

I was planning on making a little questionnaire/feedback survey when this is over, mainly asking about the categories and opinions on changes I'm planning on making for the 2024 awards. I'll definitely add a question about the timeline of the awards as well, to gauge interest in making them longer, or maybe starting later in the year.

I think we always had them early to kind of coincide with the Oscars, but I don't think that's a limitation we need to follow, especially with so many films releasing late in the year, and more of us relying on worldwide streaming dates than we did previously.

The Deadline is in 3 days!
Remember: everyone is welcome to vote! You do not need to have participated in the nominations round in order to have a say in the winners!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Will the ceremony start tomorrow?

That waiting was forever. I think we are almost about to start the next awards.

Today is the deadline!
Submit your votes today, or forfeit your right to complain about the winners!

Will the ceremony start tomorrow?
Since this post is 17 hours old now, I'm not sure if you technically meant today or tomorrow. I am still accepting votes today (Friday), and the reveal will be tomorrow (Saturday) evening.

Planning to start around 3:30pm Eastern US/9:30pm Central European time zones.

Planning to start around 3:30pm Eastern US/9:30pm Central European time zones.
I forgot to say so yesterday, but if this is a terrible time for everyone, I could start a couple hours early. I wouldn't be able to start much later though.

Is this still the time for MoFo Awards Ceremony?
Yes... as long as I did my time zone conversion properly lol. Should start in just less than an hour. I've got everything ready to go.

Yes... as long as I did my time zone conversion properly lol. Should start in just less than an hour. I've got everything ready to go.
I checked, the time conversion is correct. For me it means 10:30 PM Lithuanian time.

It's time to reveal the winners of the 2023 MoFo Film Awards!

It's finally time to see how the tastes of us MoFos stack up against the big film awards! Will the results be predicable, or have we deviated from what is expected? Before we begin, I'd like to thank everyone who nominated these films, and those who voted for the winners:

@Allaby @ApexPredator @beelzebubble @Harry Lime @Holden Pike @John-Connor
@LAMb EELYAK @mrblond @PHOENIX74 @sawduck @ScarletLion @seanc @Siddon @stillmellow @TheUsualSuspect @Thursday Next @Torgo @Tugg

And thanks to everyone watching from the sidelines! Now, let's get this show on the road!

Best Visual Effects

These were the nominees for the first award of the year, and it was a tight race!
We couldn't decide on one winner, so we already have our first tie!

And the winners are...

The Creator

Oppenheimer

Coming in a close third was Godzilla Minus One.
Is this the last we'll be seeing of Oppenheimer, or will it be this year's Banshees of Inisherin?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	24 - best visuals 1.png
Views:	29
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	98782   Click image for larger version

Name:	24 - best visuals 2.png
Views:	32
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	98783