Miss Vicky's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

That is a good thought - do you like Of Mice and Men because of the word "mice" in the title?

On the outside looking in.
That is a good thought - do you like Of Mice and Men because of the word "mice" in the title?
It doesn't hurt.

90. Sommersby (1993)

Director: Jon Amiel
Cast: Richard Gere, Jodie Foster, Bill Pullman, James Earl Jones

Why I Love It: It's a very touching romance with fine performances. Jodie Foster, in particular, is very good as the woman who finds herself "married" to an imposter - and also finds that the imposter is far kinder and far wiser than the man he impersonates. It's both a sweet romance and an interesting mystery that touches on love, honor, deception, betrayal and redemption. Oh and Richard Gere looks great in it.

89. Kinsey (2004)

Director: Bill Condon
Cast: Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Peter Sarsgaard, Chris O'Donnell, Timothy Hutton, John Lithgow, Tim Curry, Oliver Platt, William Sadler

Why I Love It: The performances. Also naked Peter Sarsgaard. Liam Neeson is brilliant as Alfred Kinsey, the sexually inexperienced gall wasp researcher and professor who seeks to explain human sexuality. Peter Sarsgaard is equally wonderful as Clyde Martin, the favorite student turned lover, teacher, partner and research subject to Neeson's Kinsey. Seeing Tim Curry play a prude is pretty delightful, too.

88. Die Hard 2: Die Harder (1990)

Director: Renny Harlan
Cast: Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, William Atherton, Reginald Veljohnson, Franco Nero, John Amos, Dennis Franz, Fred Thompson

Why I Love It: It's another childhood favorite. While most people seem to prefer the original, I always thought the dialogue in this was wittier and the action more exciting. Regardless this and Die Hard are both more nostalgic favorites than anything. It used to be a family tradition to watch both films every Christmas. My family's a little odd.

Love me some Die Hard 2. Always loved the Christmas atmosphere + the epitome of cool that is Bruce Willis.

Just the fax, ma'am. Just the fax.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Everything to do with flying and ATC is wrong but that shouldn't interfere with why you like it.

Everything to do with flying and ATC is wrong but that shouldn't interfere with why you like it.
Eh, it's a movie and an action movie at that.

If I cared much about accuracy I wouldn't like 90% of the movies I enjoy.

I liked Kinsey, but I've only seen it the once. It must have something, though, as Liam Neeson's in it and didn't annoy me too much. Die Hard 2 I loved. I've not seen it in forever, though. I used to like it on a par with the third Die Hard, but I'm not sure that'd be the case now. I didn't get on with Sommersby. But then, I didn't care for The Return of Martin Guerre, either. So that's probably just me.

I liked Kinsey, but I've only seen it the once. It must have something, though, as Liam Neeson's in it and didn't annoy me too much. Die Hard 2 I loved. I've not seen it in forever, though. I used to like it on a par with the third Die Hard, but I'm not sure that'd be the case now. I didn't get on with Sommersby. But then, I didn't care for The Return of Martin Guerre, either. So that's probably just me.
I actually haven't seen Die Hard 2 or Die Hard With A Vengeance in a very long time and hadn't seen Die Hard for quite awhile prior to the commentary. I'll probably watch at least Die Hard 2 sometime this week though.

I've a feeling a lot of people will be scratching their heads at some of the movies I've included (and also at some that have been excluded, particularly a couple of those that were on my Top 50 but didn't make the cut this time).

87. Lilo and Stitch (2002)

Directors: Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders
Cast: Davaigh Chase, Chris Sanders, Tia Carrere, Ving Rhames

Why I Love It: Because it's cute as hell and funny. Yeah it's got the Disney cliche of an orphan child as protagonist, but who cares? I mean, really, has there ever before (or since) been an alien killing machine that was so adorable?

86. The Ref (1994)

Director: Ted Demme
Cast: Denis Leary, Kevin Spacey, Judy Davis, Glynis Johns, Christine Baranski

Why I Love It: It's very funny. I also apparently have a thing for Christmas films as this is one of several to make the list. It's also not the only Denis Leary movie to make the cut, though I'm not a Leary fan. It's just a really good comedy about an unhappily married couple who rediscover their love after being taken hostage by a fugitive on Christmas. Leary is supposed to be the star, but I really felt that the show was stolen by Judy Davis, Glynnis Johns and Christine Baranski. Kevin Spacey turns in a typically strong performance as well.