Star Wars Episode 3

→ in
Tools    

Neutral Milk Hotel
I have many complaints about this movie. First off the acting was terrible, Hayden Christensen should be payed NOT to act " WHAT HAVE I DONE " thats what George Lucas should say to himself after choosing him to play Anakin. Also, ther were alot of questions that remained unanswered. Why did the emperor give him the name Vader? that still remains unseen. Another thing is Anakin turned to the dark side WAY to easily. Like at first it seemed like he was just going to try and save padme by learning the ways of the darkside by not actually joining the sith and killing little children. And then one minute hes hugging padme the next hes choking her with the force. WTF!! And if anyone noticed, in the scene right before the big battle between Anakin and Obi wan, Padme's stomach is completley flat. It doesnt look like shes bearing a baby let alone twins.

The only thing that I can give to this movie is that the special effects were good and it was the last chapter in the Star Wars saga so you have to appreciate it in a way. It was very sad and emotional and probably one of the most depressing movies ive ever seen. However, I did enjoy the last 10 minutes of the film with Anakin being put into the vader suit ( PADME! NOOOOOO ) and Obi wan handing over luke to his relatives on tatooine. I honestly want to like this movie but i just couldnt, the acting was way to dry for me. I will admit that I am a fan of LOTR but i am also a fan of Star Wars and the last scenes were just too similar. I will say that this movie is the best out of the last three but in the long run does not nearly compare to any of the older episodes.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
I have many complaints about this movie. First off the acting was terrible, Hayden Christensen should be payed NOT to act " WHAT HAVE I DONE " thats what George Lucas should say to himself after choosing him to play Anakin.
I heard this same complaint many times but that was one line peronally, i thought he acted quite well.

And if anyone noticed, in the scene right before the big battle between Anakin and Obi wan, Padme's stomach is completley flat. It doesnt look like shes bearing a baby let alone twins.
It wasn't just that scene. It was at the beginning of the movie till midway. She is from another planet so perhaps their babies grow quicker than humans.

Wow, lotsa complaining. Seems like a lot of you were let down because you were expecting way too much.

The acting was bad? Was Harrison Ford and the rest of the crew that much better in the 70's/80's? Yet you hold the orignal three on such a pedastal.

The only complaint I have is these kids proclaiming, 'man is it ever good to see the bad guys winning for once.' guess they forgot about the rest of the episodes. You wanna see a movie where the bad guy actually does win? see 'The Usual Suspects' and a whole whack of other films.

Revenge of the Sith is a killer movie, sure it had its little low moments, but what movie doesen't.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Have to say I enjoyed it the most out of the 3 prequels. Having said that, i don't think anything will come close to the dissappointment of Episode 1, Darth Maul should have been an iconic figure to challenge Vader, but he was so poorly written and not given enough screen time. Episode 3 was a lot darker, its similar in tone to "Empire..", so I liked that aspect of the film, thought Mace Windu's death scene was crassly done, but more positives than negatives on this one. CGI has made filmakers lazy and is my pet hate, would like to see it used more sparingly.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

After not being a fan of Lucas's last two Star Wars films, my expectations for this were mixed. I wasn't actually planning on seeing it until a little later on in its run, but my friend got opening day tickets, so I gladly went along, and I was really impressed. Lucas really pulls out every trick in the book visually, with some amazing special effects left and right and plenty of thrilling sequences. Sure, he still can't write dialogue and some of the acting is stilted (not to mention the hellacious "NOOOOOOO!" scene- subtlety George, c'mon), but my jaw dropped on more than one occasion. I felt like a little kid watching it, which is always a good sign. For the first time since the criminally underrated Jedi, fans have a Star Wars film that they can be pround to say they enjoyed.
3.5/4

There are those who call me...Tim.
I'm not 100% sure what to say about this film, but I'll try and have a go (spoilers ahead)...

Right, firstly I'd like to say that I was never bored with this film, but at the same time I was never excited. My heart rate didn't increase at all (not even with 5 lightsabre duels and a space batle!) and I walked out of the theatre feeling nothing. Unfortunately, more than anything, this film made me realise how little I cared about anyone in the prequels (in fact the only person I cared about was Qui-Gon, and apparently his scene in this film was cut to save time).
But, as I said, I was never bored.

Secondly, I'd like to say how much of a missed opportunity this film was. The opening space battle itself was the biggest culprit. You could tell it was going to be something special as soon as the yellow writing disappeared into space, and you became well aware that it was clearly the biggest space battle in Star Wars, if not Film History (by a hell of a lot as well), so why oh why did Lucas decide to prevent us from seeing it properly? Just once I wanted the camera to stop moving so I could get a glimpse of what was going on, but to make matters worse those jedi starfighters kept getting in the way as well.

Another disappointment was Christopher Lee. He was the best thing about AOTC (he gave it the credibility it needed) but here he was on screen for what seemed like only 2 minutes, and how much of that was actually him I wonder?

I could go on or a while about the film's bad points (one bit I thought was hilarious was when Obi-Wan decided to secretly infiltrate General Grievous' base - riding the loudest most conspicuous lizard creature he could find ), but I don't want to sound like I hated this film. The film did some things really well. Hayden, at times, gave an incredibly good performance as Anakin (something I also believed he did in 2002 in AOTC, but I think I'm alone there), plus seeing him and Obi-Wan finally getting along as friends without the constant bickering was nice. However, one bit I particularly liked was when Anakin informed Mace of Palpatines intentions, and Mace finally warmed up to him.
Also, much later on when Anakin had been defeated, I could almost feel the pain he was going through when he was being operated on, and the look of terror on his face when the mask was being lowered chilled me to the bone.
A lot of effort went into this, and for these parts it paid off.

Only to be completely undone by...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Anyway, enough plot analysis, and on to the conclusion.

So, was it worth the 10 year wait since I first saw Return of the Jedi in 1995? Unfortunately, no. It was above average, but it should have been much, much more. Fine, Star Wars isn't a film series that's made to showcase acting and writing talent, but let's not forget why Empire Strikes Back is the best in the series.

I give this film 5.5/10 (0 being awful, 5 being average etc).

[EDIT]
I may as well admit now (before the backlash arrives), that I will be seeing this film again, as I seem to have missed all the excitement. My review might change in future.

I think you and i pretty much thought the same, i saw it again, and overcame a lot of my initial gripes though you hit most the points, enjoyable yes, but good, not really.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
SPOILERS

We start off with your typical STAR WARS, but go down to a non-typical fight. TIE fighters everywhere, beautiful special effects, but from the ongoing camera movements and the bright colors on the screen, it got a little disorienting. The reason for this? Well the clone war is ending and a new villain has entered the series known as General Grevious, half alien half machine with four arms, who from what I've read all over the internet was suppose to be a Jedi killing mother, which brings me to disappointment number one.

General Grevious. This thing does not kill one Jedi in this entire movie. In the scene were OBI-WAN enters and Grevious tells the others to back off, he takes out his four light sabers ready to own. I get excited expecting to see the 2nd best light-saber battle in the whole series. Yet, what we get is a short 2 minute if that fight. First of all, no way can Kenobi block all the light sabers from this guy with his one, yet he does and he manages to slice off two of Grevous's sabers, then the little guy runs away, his end comes by a gun, shot by obi-wan, what a waste of my time, that was pathetic.You expect to see this guy kick major ass and he's taken out of the picture so easily, which is one of my problems with the whole prequel series (Darth Maul/Jango Fett)

This movie of course is darker then the first two and probably darker then Empire Strikes Back, it also carries the most light-saber battles/action scenes in the entire series.....but after seeing so many light sabers battles they kind of lose their excitement. YODA VS EMPEROR....while great, kinda let down by the shortness and how they did not use their "arena" to the full potential. ANAKIN VS OBI-WAN, people have been waiting for 20 years for this battle and it finally comes, it was good, you can even say epic in a way. But worth the wait of 20 years......I think not. Mace Windu and random Jedi VS EMPEROR....boy did those JEDI get it in 3 seconds or what, it looked like he was literally slow as a snail going uphill when he stuck the light-saber in them and yet the still take the hit. MACE Windu owned the emperor in the battle and the glass shatter was a great. The best light-saber battle is still DUEL OF FATES

Excited to see old characters such as Chewie and VADER, even though you know for a fact that they will have little screen time you can't help but feel disappointed with what they do in that screen time. Vader has no more then 5 minutes on the screen and the Frankenstein tribute was totally stupid in my opinion and took away from the awesomeness of VADER. LACK of Chewie.....lack of Wookies in general. The battle between the Wookies is very short.

What are the absolute worse things about this movie, well you probably would have guessed it, since it does not improve what so ever over the other two...dialogue and acting. A lot of the times I found myself rolling my eyes at the utter stupidness of some of the lines.

"You're so beautiful.." "Only because I'm so in love." "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

HAYDEN is still bad as Anakin until the transformation takes place. Ewan is probably the worst one here.

"hang on were smarter than this"

That is said after being trapped in an energy shield and of course the unbelievable scene where he sees his PADWAN a person who he calls his brother and person he loves kill the young lings (another gripe....just call them children) and all he can say in a monotone voice is something along the lines of

"I can't watch this"

Please it looked/sounded like he was just reading it from the script. Not all the acting and dialogue is bad in this film, the highlight of the movie is PALPATINE....like Ebert said in his review, he has the hardest job of playing a character on both sides and he pulls this off marvelously. He owned this movie, even more then YODA....who owned the second.

Yes this is the better of the first two prequels for the fact that we get more into seeing why things are the way they are....Luke/Leia, Emperor and his disfigurement, that's about it, yup they don't really tie the two films together very well in my opinion. I was just waiting for more things to pop up to tie them together. There are still plot holes. Which I do not want to read the books to find the answers to, this should have been addressed in the film.

1> Who is Cyphis Deus? 2> How does Leia remember her birth mother

We all know what happens in this film and everyone is only going to watch it to see how these things come to be, but I was hoping/praying for one thing to be a surprise, one little thing. I remember reading somewhere that a line is spoken that shatters the STAR WARS universe, where is this line? We all know the Anakin becomes VADER and I was impressed with the story behind why he did this, but not with the amount of time it took for him to do this....it was so quick, I understand the time frame but come on, the movie went by so fast you could of put more time for the transition. The movie is 2:30, but with all the action it flies by so fast. When ANAKIN VS OBI-WAN came up I was thinking to myself, already? I didn't like how he chose the dark side to save Padme's life, but tries to kill her at the same time.

8/10

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Nice points, but why 8/10??
Return of the Jedi 10/10
Empire Strikes Back 9.5/10
A New Hope 9/10
Revenge of the Sith 8/10
Attack of the clones 7/10
The Phantom Menace 6/10

With all those disappointments, it was still a good film. Also camping out the day of and being the first ones to see it was great too.

the movie wasnt all that bad, i still think it has yet to live up to return of the jedi ,but overall prob the seconed best star wars flick

You think The Matrix is a steamy pile of poo (I will only argue for the first one), but you think that Episode III is better than Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

Quit smoking pickles, kid.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by inibriated
the movie wasnt all that bad, i still think it has yet to live up to return of the jedi ,but overall prob the seconed best star wars flick
Why does everyone like Jedi so much? It is so clearly the worst of the original three, and I think worse than Episode III, as well. It beats out Eps I and II but, those films bite. Although Jedi has some great drama between Luke, Vader and the emperor, the whole tatooine segment is AWFUL, and the Ewok segment is almost as bad. Hell, at least the ewoks don't preform a song called "Jedi Rocks", so it's a bit more bearable (teehee) than the palace section, but overall....15 minutes of good space battle and drama doesn't outweigh the rest of the film for me.

Also, to the guy up top picking apart the acting in Episode III. Please consider this:

Star Wars has bad acting in it. Always has. Why pick apart one film for a problem they all share?

As for Grievous...who cares? Totally unimportant character. A puppet of the emperor, like Count dooky...err I mean Dooku. A means to an end. He was just some random character that had little to do with the six films, which ARE star wars. Stuff written on the internet is not Star Wars, and, contrary to popular belief, The Clone Wars cartoon is a tiny niche market in comparison to the 25+ year film dynasty that is Star Wars. The films are what tell the real story (so says G Lucas, not just me), and Grievous was just another toss away character like so many others that populated the saga. Lucas wanted to tell the Darth Vader story, and I believe that was the main narrative throughout.

Ponder this. If Grievous was mishandled in some way, or didn't get his just due, or...whatever he was supposed to be or do, what are your feelings on Bobba Fett? Another useless character in Star Wars. I mean, come on. How underdeveloped was Fett? he is one of the most popular characters in the history of Star Wars, and he did NOTHING. Sure, he was supposed to be a bad ass, supposed to strike fear into the hearts of poor Han Solo and friends, and he did for a little while. But, who did he take out? What grand battles did he win? No one and none. All this posturing around, waving a gun, looking grim...Then, he finally catches up with all his intended victims, and is knocked into a sand monster's mouth by a blind smuggler with a stick while he attempts to murder a jedi with a piece of kite string. Someone save us all!!

The difference being, back then we just took everything for what it was, and enjoyed the ride, no questions asked. We were in a honeymoon period with films of this sort. Decades later, our society has moved on. These days, everyone is so jaded about entertainment, that we sit there in the theater, going over every film with a fine tooth comb, and attacking at the slightest sign of a chink in the fantastical armor. I am not pointing fingers here, believe me. I am definitely part of the problem, but have been trying to whip my ass back into wide eyed wonder with films or this sort.

With Episode III, I just went in and said to myself, I am just going to watch and have a good time, no getting hung up on stuff like just exactly how does artificial gravity work on these ships and how can R2 jump and shoot fire out of his ass. I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. You know what? I had a blast, and I felt, if even for just a little while, like that 6 year old kid in 1977 as the Tantive IV whizzed out of the top of the screen and the Star Destroyer loomed after it. I knew there were problems with Episode III as I watched, but I didn't let it bother me, and it worked.

Grievous was just oart if the fun, and he was by no means an integral part of the story, like so many other SW characters that enriched the films just by being there, by populating the worlds. We will never feel the way about a film, the way we felt about Star Wars back then, and Indiana, and Marty McFly. Those were the Golden years of fantasy and adventure films, and I am oh so glad I was there to see it....

Originally Posted by Sedai
Why does everyone like Jedi so much? It is so clearly the worst of the original three, and I think worse than Episode III, as well.
Because I do.

I don't think it measures up to the first two, but it still blows away any of the new ones. It has heart, which all of the new ones lack.

Originally Posted by susan
sorry i agree with sedai...

but everyone is entitled to an opinion....
No need to say sorry, and you're right...that's why I gave mine.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Empire Strikes Back is my favourite, then A New Hope, and then Revenge of the Sith.
As a kid I really liked Jedi and wasn't too keen on Empire, but for me, Jedi is like Sesame Street does Star Wars, doesn't fare too well in the test of time.
Empire still rocks, the darkest episode, and the whole Vader reveal is genius.
I liked Sith as well, it's tone was similar to Empire, I've also heard a rumour that the DVD version will be darker still, with some of the previous edited scenes restored.
I'm not going to mention episode one, D'OH! Biggest movie dissapointment of my life, Darth Maul was so underused and under developed, handled in the right way, he could have become as iconic as Vader. Episode 2 sucked a little less, but was still crap.
Here's hoping George doesn't see dollar signs and return to the Star Wars galaxy again, unless it's to make another Ewok movie!!!
Aw, look at the cutie furry wurry little teddy bears. Me, a lightsaber, and half an hour with the Ewoks, it's all I ask lord, please make the bad thoughts go away.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
When the film came out and everyone I knew complained about the acting, it seemed to me a bit like going to Mc'Donalds and complaining because they didn't have steak.

Why does everybody hate Episode I so much? Episode I is one of my favorite Episodes by far. the only thing i didnt like about it was Jake Lloyd's acting, other then that it ruled, Liam Neeson as a Jedi, one of the coolest villians ever in Darth Maul, and don't b*tch about Maul saying he could have been as big as Vader, The Star Wars Saga is the Tragedy of Darth Vader, Maul was good for one episode but we didn't need him anymore. Episode I also had what most people consider the best lightsaber battle of all time. We were introduced to a young Obi-Wan, The mother of Luke and Leia, Darth Vader as a child, just that thought alone gives me chills. I think most people who say they don't like Epsidoes I and II actually do but they don't want to be left off the bandwagon. Any true Star Wars fans can appreciate how great all of the films were.