Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Brotherhood - 6/10

Another movie The Godfather references. Many similarities (The Leopard, also) -- even the surname Corleone... Probably the least favorite of Martin Ritt - but he's made many great ones.. Kirk Douglas wasn't enough to make this better.

The Incredible Journey (1963)

Haven't seen this since I was a child and I'll tell ya, they don't make 'em like this anymore.
TCM provided a late night trip down nostalgia road. I laughed and cried (and without the aid of any big name, recognizable celebrity star voiceovers)!

A very funny but also tragic and also a bit of a depressing film. Worth watching for sure.

V for Vendetta (2005)

“I was cured, all right!”

Good violent thriller!
The soundtrack it's 10/10. There's Obituary on the soundtrack! Hell!
I really like the reference in the poster to The Clash (that TH: AW also made a great reference to that cover).

haha

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Tickled

(David Farrier & Dylan Reeve)

When I first heard about this film, my eyebrows raised from confusion and interest. Then when I saw it available on demand, I made sure to sit my wife down to watch it with me. Her look of complete confusion and the questions she asked during and after gave me a chuckle. This is one weird film.

For those who do not know what it is about, a New Zealand journalist stumbles upon a video online about 'Competitive Endurance Tickling'. Those three words were enough to pique his interest and watch. After finding it somewhat humorous, he knew he had to dive deeper into this odd phenomenon. Big mistake. After finding the company that puts these competitions on, he requested interviews and information and was greeted with homophobic hostility (he's gay) and threats of legal action. Not wanting to be bullied away, he goes head first into the investigation and discovers a world of deceit, fraud and identity theft.

Wow, yes, this film takes some weird turns and leaves you scratching your head over the absurdity of it all. I'll try not to go into too much detail because half the fun in watching this is seeing how depraved the rabbit hole goes, but this film needs some sort of explaining. I'll pose this question to you; if you were looking for some quick cash and a company offered you $2,000, hotel and a flight to the shooting location, would you partake in this tickle competition? How it works is, you are strapped down on a mat. Hands and feet are both tied and another man (they are all men) sits on top of you and....tickles you. Then more men come over and they...tickle you as well. One individual had four men tickling him at once; one for each foot, one for his torso and another under his arms. He laughs and squirms,but he can't go anywhere. This is all filmed as well. Nothing too sexual about it.

Then the video randomly appears online.

When you ask for the company to take it down, that's when things get weird...er. This company then send the video to all your friends, family, co-workers with hateful messages about how perverted you are and how dangerous you are to children, etc. They try to destroy your life and have succeeded in a few cases. It's somewhat tragic.

Farrier interviews a tickle fetishist and he explains how it's no different from a foot fetish. Sure, people have their weird sexual fantasies and what not, but the individual(s) behind these attacks seems to be on another plane of existence. How far will this company go to humiliate people? Will they steal identities? Threaten fake legal action? Threaten lives? The answer to all of these questions is of course, yes.

Tickled is one of the weirdest documentaries I've ever seen and it's the subject matter that saves an otherwise mediocre film. Check it out for the sheer absurdity of it.

Suspect's Reviews

Beyond The Gates

In the wake of their father's mysterious disappearance, two estranged brothers reunite to sift through the contents of his VHS rental store. Among the inventory, they discover an interactive VCR board game which is in fact a portal to a nightmarish alternate reality.

A lot I like about this it but it was so poorly executed and the potential utterly squandered. I was all set to give this a high score but it never moved anyplace, disappointing to say the least

Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper

Marooned on a remote peninsula and haunted by frightening specters, a young man must confront the grotesque denizens of the night, or heed the Lighthouse Keeper's cryptic warning to, 'Always keep a light burning!'

Very low budget and cheap but the story kept me interested and the acting wasn't half bad, I really quite enjoyed it

Werckmeister harmóniák (2000, Béla Tarr)

A bleak but fascinating study of an innocent intellectual (although a question arises at the end of the film whether he was all that innocent, after all) trying to survive in but ultimately being taken hostage by a hostile, culturally degrading environment. Tarr's long takes throughout the film are incredibly effective in creating the atmosphere of inescapable misery and dilapidation. Menacingly slow and dense in its emotional undertones, the film gradually builds up to a horrific climax when all semblance of humanity is suddenly stripped off from the faces of the sometime normal, law-abiding citizens. The hospital attack scene is genuinely bone-chilling in its depiction of senseless violence and contains what is probably one of the most harrowing images put to film.

The film is as much a cold, unflinching portrayal of the inherent flaws and weaknesses of human nature as it is a warning that lack of government creates a vacuum, and evil forces eventually come and fill the void.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." I remembered this quote by Bertrand Russell at some point during the film, and yes, it's as relevant as ever.

I Enjoy Working With People
Little Murders (1971) This very dark satire, based on the play by Jules Feiffer, has been out of my reach for decades - either unavailable for rent or purchase, or too expensive. I recently found the DVD at a decent price online and was re-acquainted with one of my all-time favorites. 9/10

Legend in my own mind

Black Mass (2015)

I enjoyed this film. I thought that it was good but it had the potential to be great.

Depp is a very talented and versatile actor but in my opinion this is one of his best performances.

His character looked sinister without doing or saying anything in the same way as Hopkins Lecter did.

Will review in full on my thread.

A bleak but fascinating study of an innocent intellectual (although a question arises at the end of the film whether he was all that innocent, after all) trying to survive in but ultimately being taken hostage by a hostile, culturally degrading environment. Tarr's long takes throughout the film are incredibly effective in creating the atmosphere of inescapable misery and dilapidation. Menacingly slow and dense in its emotional undertones, the film gradually builds up to a horrific climax when all semblance of humanity is suddenly stripped off from the faces of the sometime normal, law-abiding citizens. The hospital attack scene is genuinely bone-chilling in its depiction of senseless violence and contains what is probably one of the most harrowing images put to film.

The film is as much a cold, unflinching portrayal of the inherent flaws and weaknesses of human nature as it is a warning that lack of government creates a vacuum, and evil forces eventually come and fill the void.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." I remembered this quote by Bertrand Russell at some point during the film, and yes, it's as relevant as ever.

i almost thought I am the only one who saw it. I loved that film and Sátántangó even more

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

wonder why I postponed these one so long
so funny , cute and sweet at it finest - kyoko fukada and anna tsuchiya at their cutest

+nice they even got time machine(sadistic mika band) cover through the end

i almost thought I am the only one who saw it. I loved that film and Sátántangó even more
The only one who saw it? This is movie forum.

Also... you never heard of The Art House Mafia?