Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Grace Of Monaco (Olivier Dahan, 2014)

Style >>> substance

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You and I seem to have similar taste in movies. Wonder how you rated John Wick 2?
I like John Wick

Suspect's Reviews

The Shape of Water (2017)

I wasn't expecting much as I'm not generally a fan of fantasy. I have had great respect for director Guillermo del Toro even though i didn't care for Mimic or Pacific Rim. I very much enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone. I still want to see Hellboy. So I knew he was talented but that didn't mean I'd like this movie. Well I was sold immediately and I loved every single second of it. There's not enough good things I could say about it. If I wanted to be critical, I could look at a couple of instances besides the fantasy aspect that maybe weren't plausible. But why would I be critical when I'm enjoying myself so much? I loved the story, characters, performances, visuals, and score. It has so much to offer like horror, love, intensity, humor, and so much more. Most of all, I felt like I was watching an adventure, and I think that's the rarest and most satisfying feeling when watching a movie. I felt the same way I did as a 10 year old boy going to the movies to see Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time, like I was just taken away to another world. My wife felt the same way I did going in and when it was over. At one point she said about the monster, "he is handsome". I gave her a little glance but I knew she was seeing what was beneath the surface. It was an instant new favorite for her as well as it was for me. The Academy got it right in awarding this movie best picture. They got it wrong in that it didn't win nearly enough.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
[center]The Shape of Water (2017)

Most of all, I felt like I was watching an adventure, and I think that's the rarest and most satisfying feeling when watching a movie. I felt the same way I did as a 10 year old boy going to the movies to see Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time, like I was just taken away to another world.
YES! It's not only the way the film references movies but that it manages to inspire that sheer joy of movie watching.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Human Condition III - A Soldier's Prayer - 7/10

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
At first, I thought this would be better than the 2nd, but it wavered. It starts out where it left off, but doesn't go far. It would have been nice to see something besides the war... going back home, or any other step. After the first 3.5 hours, our protagonist is well formed, and I felt there was some redundancy. I also saw many opportunities for more story. For example, a new disillusionment of a new democracy. Every side calls their side freedom, and since it was a political movie, I expected a little more. Maybe going off to Russia and China for 10-15 minutes, or seeing his wife, maybe some family problems added, even with the military atmosphere.

Cate Blanchett has a lot of fun with the role and is really hot. I couldn't stop thinking about her messy black hair and messy mascara. Sorry, sidetracked there for a bit.
It needed to be said .

This might just do nobody any good.
Unfortunately Cate doesn’t get to turn things up to 11 as the film keeps teasing. The look is there, the anticipations builds but everyone involved is clearly more interested in the Sakaar stuff (which I really liked, btw) and thus there’s this big gap between the second and third act. I hope we get more of her. Lots of good actors have been throwaways as villains in the franchise of but losing Blanchett’s Hela this quick would be a real shame.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

Not a big fan of this, it was OK.

Full review here link
GF II is an excellent movie, but it's overrated. I can't understand for the life of me how many prefer it to the first.

Godfather 1 is a legitimate masterpiece, and one of the best films ever made.

Godfather II wasn't even the best movie of 1974 - Chinatown and The Conversation were both superior.
Have to agree with this but I didn’t quite get into the conversation. Chinatown though
God 1 is a bonafide masterpiece. Two well, it’s a good to very good film. I recently read roger eberts original review and agree completely with him.

Unfortunately Cate doesn’t get to turn things up to 11 as the film keeps teasing.
Though the hotness is at 11 .

Lots of good actors have been throwaways as villains in the series of but losing Blanchett’s Hela this Wick would be a real shame.
They'll write her back in, she's too good not to. Actually with regards to The Dark World, which I haven't seen all the way through, I thought Christopher Eccleston did alright. His voice carried it a lot too it would seem. Funny that Blanchett should be the next Thor villain given the Elizabeth connection .

Godfather 2 is overrated? Doc Holiday, you failed me.

It’d be more than a worthy addition if it were only the young Vito stuff, in all its gorgeous melodrama, as this sprawling and hugely engaging and relatable immigrant story, but you add to that the downfall of Michael and Fredo’s treason and all nuances the story of their relationship deteriorating achieved while maintaining the tone of the second narrative, paralleling the past and future, De Niro’s badass performance and Pacino’s quiet simmering (all of Heat, Scarface and Devil’s Advocate pale in comparison to that final, perfect, shot).

Ugh. I’m watching Part 2 again.

Funny that Blanchett should be the next Thor villain given the Elizabeth connection .
I guess that means Joseph Fiennes will be the next Thor villain.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Mainstream Mafia shall welcome you with open arms!
The Human Condition III - A Soldier's Prayer - 7/10
This is the ultimate humanistic filmmaking. It's not about politics. Your case is a case of false expectations influencing your perception of the film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wow did I have a great double movie night:

I started out a little reluctant towards the beginning of this, but at a certain time of the movie (which I'm not spoiling) this film clicked so so well with me and I began to love everything about it. Everything I felt even a little "eh" about at the start was completely blown up in my face, and I mean that in that best possible way. Like genuinely, some of the scenes in this got to me so good it's ridiculous. I guess I should have expected at least a pretty good movie from all this Oscar hype and whatnot, but god every payoff in this movie was perfect. I'm already going to rewatch this tomorrow for sure, because I'm positive I'll love it even more having seen where it ends up.
way more than likely a
on second rewatch.

Another knockout. Again, started it out not really into it, but the two main characters absolutely grew onto me rapidly and I got hooked. Unlike Ebbing, I was never really surprised with how the general plot went, but I still loved the little side stories from each of the characters (and I wouldn't even end up saying it's the movies fault for that, as I think it was just because of me seeing the trailer. And I hate watching the trailers for any film these days as every trailer editor/maker these days sucks huge dong and spoils half the movie for you).
The creature itself looked awesome, I think it definitely looked a lot better and natural thanks to that awesome costume work. The performances were all solid, the music was good, and the general theme and setting was put together really well.

I wasn't expecting much as I'm not generally a fan of fantasy. I have had great respect for director Guillermo del Toro even though i didn't care for Mimic or Pacific Rim. I very much enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone. I still want to see Hellboy. So I knew he was talented but that didn't mean I'd like this movie. Well I was sold immediately and I loved every single second of it. There's not enough good things I could say about it. If I wanted to be critical, I could look at a couple of instances besides the fantasy aspect that maybe weren't plausible. But why would I be critical when I'm enjoying myself so much? I loved the story, characters, performances, visuals, and score. It has so much to offer like horror, love, intensity, humor, and so much more. Most of all, I felt like I was watching an adventure, and I think that's the rarest and most satisfying feeling when watching a movie. I felt the same way I did as a 10 year old boy going to the movies to see Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time, like I was just taken away to another world. My wife felt the same way I did going in and when it was over. At one point she said about the monster, "he is handsome". I gave her a little glance but I knew she was seeing what was beneath the surface. It was an instant new favorite for her as well as it was for me. The Academy got it right in awarding this movie best picture. They got it wrong in that it didn't win nearly enough.
I can't agree. I thought it was a cliched and predictable.
WARNING: "TSOW" spoilers below
I mean did you really not know what was going to happen halfway through this film given we had a love story and a government bad guy?

I guess there are very few original themes in any type of art these days but I at least want some sort of surprise / unique narrative to cling on to. Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone were far superior in my humble opinion.