Coronavirus

Tools    

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Europe travel ban
T.Hanks and Rita Wilson confirmed.
NBA season suspended and possible NHL season suspension announcement Thursday.
Senate blocks emergency sick leave bill...
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
All very much proof that this isn't no worse than the average flu season.
Banning flights to continents and cancelling sports seasons is average?

Alrighty.
I was using sarcasm to make a point that those like Dr Drew who think the coronavirus is no worse than the flu are way off mark. I think this all is very serious.

I'm in the Seattle area. Loving the virus. I can sleep in a little and not get caught in traffic. With Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, REI all working from home, this place is like a city with a sensible sized population.

For actual facts, I liked Michael Osterholm on Joe Rogan because maybe listening to an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology is likely to give you more truth than what CNN, Fox, or the White House arecranking out.

A Quiet Place 2 delayed as well.
This saddens me, if ever a title was gonna be more socially apt......if anything they ought to be rushing it through

More scary to me that no one is more worried about is that if Trump gets the Virus Pence would be our president or if Trump would be Impeached.
a) That's assuming that the virus kills Trump. I don't think we'd be that lucky. As for impeachment, he already got impeached and was found not guilty. It's unlikely that he'd be impeached again, and even if he was impeached again, it's highly unlikely that he'd be removed from office.

b) Pence would only be President until the end of what would have been Trump's term. Considering his term ends this year, that's not very long unless Pence won the November election or Trump wins the re-election and gets sick after that.

The virus is arbitrary, doesn't care who the hell you are.

That's the fun part.
Yes, but the majority of the people who catch it don't die. So, again, even if he caught the virus there's no guarantee that it would kill him or incapacitate him to the point of Pence taking over.

Slow and Lethargic 9
Has a certain ring to it I think.

The virus is frightening to a lot of people because it's new, but it will end soon. The world survived the Black Death, the AIDS virus, and the E. Coli bacteria and it will survive this.
That's true, and I can recall 3 or 4 other epidemics over the decades in the U.S. which were going to "kill millions", but turned out to be nothing extraordinary.

One interesting sidebar to the coronavirus epidemic is how many people will survive or be uninfected without a vaccine being available, and to compare that to regular flu virus seasons where a large percentage have been vaccinated against it.

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) states the following: "CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010." Now, I don't believe those figures because of the CDC's methodology. They admit that they don't actually know. From their website: "Most people who die from seasonal flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when seasonal influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples."

When one sees the estimated typical number of deaths from virulent flu virus, and compares it to the statistics available for the coronavirus, the current threat may not even eventually rise to that level. And it certainly doesn't justify the high level of panic and disruption that it's getting.

Naturally those of us in high risk groups --the elderly frail, those immunocompromised, those who are already sick with some other disease-- should be cautious: wash/sanitize hands, avoid sick individuals, etc, just like during regular flu season. Some of us (like I) should avoid large crowds, or even limit exposure to certain other people.

~Doc

Predictably we've moved the goalposts from "this is no worse than the flu" to "well, it's not as bad as Some People Are Saying," now that Trump and Pence are explicitly contradicting the former.

That's true, and I can recall 3 or 4 other epidemics over the decades in the U.S. which were going to "kill millions", but turned out to be nothing extraordinary.
The logic here is fundamentally flawed, for reasons I noted earlier but got no response to:

That's the catch-22 of warnings about disease: you can say it's overblown, but how would you know the difference between "overblown because it was never a big deal" and "overblown because the worry actually got people to take it seriously, so it didn't spread as much"?

I think its too later to ban flights and ships really. Also if its air born. It will get to everywhere. I think Corona is active with certain blood types. Cause not all who have it die. Thankfully out of 400 plus cases in the USA only handful campared die. I hate how the news give no people hope.

This will end like all other flu's because human mind can create any vaccine. This whole thing prooved to me people are dangerous still and a real epidemic where thousands die in the streets would have such a bloody panic. The civilzation would implode on itself. This is what its like when people believe in science and no greater power or god. Preyor does work but only if believe in it.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Predictably we've moved the goalposts from "this is no worse than the flu" to "well, it's not as bad as Some People Are Saying," now that Trump and Pence are explicitly contradicting the former.

The logic here is fundamentally flawed, for reasons I noted earlier but got no response to:

That's the catch-22 of warnings about disease: you can say it's overblown, but how would you know the difference between "overblown because it was never a big deal" and "overblown because the worry actually got people to take it seriously, so it didn't spread as much"?

Well, it's definitely something to take seriously for the time being as it's only logical to take precautions against the unknown. Only time will tell just how deadly this virus is.

The trick is not minding
The people who don’t take this seriously are the same people who risk getting infected and spreading it further, risking literal lives in the process. These same people somehow become experts in the field after reading a few online articles about it.
Stop acting like this isn’t a big deal and take it seriously. It isn’t worth the risk.

You ready? You look ready.
Well, our university just made the decision to go online classes after spring break.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza