Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Versus (Rated Version)
[Friggen' Awesome!][Pretty Good][Meh...][Just Bad...][Irredeemable Crap]

Yakuza vs. Zombies vs. Yakuza Zombies in the woods. Funny for some good reasons, hilarious for a lot of BAD reasons. The acting is either entirely deadpan or HOOWHOOOOAAAAGGGGHHHHAHAHAHA*Hannibal Lector tongue flicks*.

The action is serviceable as the main crutch of the movie, since the story has absolutely nowhere to go, but if you can appreciate a movie where characters can catch shotgun blasts with their hands, deflect each others bullets with their own bullets, fight using swords that are sheathed with grenade pins and equipped with laser sights (for no reason whatsoever), then you can appreciate this movie.

Other than a female yakuza who gets offed immediately, the only significant female character is the most blatantly helpless, damsel-in-distress, unexplained love interest I've ever seen. I might be offended if she wasn't treated so poorly as to be hilarious when protagonist abruptly karate chops her into unconsciousness whenever the plot requires her to be out of the way for one of his fights.

Glad I watched the edited version, since the the unrated version ("Ultimate" Versus) is just plain gory for gore sake, and frankly, I'm rather disgusted that "full of blood and gore" is treated as any sort of legitimate selling point. Plus, it just irks me when a movie is trying to take itself super serious and then somebody starts spurting blood like a fire hydrant.

Still, unrealistic blood physics is way easier to accept from something like this or Army of Darkness where the cheese is the main attraction. Actually, Versus + Army of Darkness + maybe a little Hellsing, are probably the main ingredients for Devil May Cry or The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, and I'm cool with that.

Unregistered User

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

What a performance by Charles Laughton!! He plays 'the King of Fools' with such emotion that you just get lost in his passion for Esmeralda(a superb Maureen O'Hara). 1939 was a huge year as we all know for movies but this would certainly be right up there for me. Really am struggling to find a fault with this, I guess it doesn't get top marks because its not a favourite of mine...yet.

Superb.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Monsieur Verdoux
+

Shouldn't work, but totally does. I'm not yet sure if I'd label this my favorite Chaplin film, yet I would say it's the best movie I've seen from him up to this point. The photography was magnificent.

Short film about Love

Improves upon an already great episode of The Decalogue.

Cria Cuervos
+

Such an honest, intimate, and powerful film about a childhood clouded in death and loss. I teared up several times during the film, as this is one of those films that really struck an emotional chord with me. Seldom does one get such a genuine vision of how it is to be a troubled youth. Better than Spirit of the Beehive. Not a popular opinion, I assume.

Star Wars: A New Hope (Special Edition)
[Friggen' Awesome!][Pretty Good][Meh...][Just Bad...][Irredeemable Crap]

It's so hard to get a firm grasp of this movie. I always thought Star Wars was cool, but I was never part of the popular majority that held it up as any sort of masterpiece. Hell, if asked to list my favorite movies it probably wouldn't be anywhere within the first that come to mind.

That said, only three kinds of movies earn permanent spots in my collection:
Movies I Love Above All Others,
Movies I Have Strong Nostalgia For, and
Movies I Just Find Myself Rewatching So Often, I Might As Well Keep It.

Stars Wars easily earns a spot if not for nostalgia, then just for how often I find myself revisiting it. It's a very standard hero's-journey style of movie, but it's unique setting and imaginative elements set it apart.

Very easy to spot miniatures and other obvious special effects are easily dwarfed by how well everything else is executed. I'm completely sold on this world, with no small amount of help from strong acting, interesting characters, and great attention to detail.

This is certainly one of the most fascinating movies to learn about how it was made given how documentaries make it out to have been one big colossal crapshoot that few, if any, people had any real confidence in. But as much as I may find myself intrigued by stop-motion, rotoscoping, or what-have-you, this movie never really clicked with me in that special way other movies have. The music is certainly great, the stakes are high, and it could even make me laugh, but...

All things considered, the story never really takes any serious risks. It's strange to say about a movie I've seen so many times, but it all seems predictable save, perhaps, Obi-Wan's death scene, but even that's never really understandably justified until the sequel.

The only lightsaber fight in the whole movie is one of the series' most important showdowns, but simultaneously it's least interesting. The dogfights are easily the highlight of action in the movie (which would eventually change places with lightsaber fights as the series went on), but it's largely spectacle. We don't see a whole lot of creativity in how they unfurl. The good guys shoot the bad guys, the bad guys shoot the good guys, and eventually enough explosions end the fight. That's pretty much it, and as an action-adventure movie, it leans heavily on this these.

The best thing about Star Wars, I think, is simply the world-building. We never really see any fantastic locations other than the Death Star, we even open up on something as dull as a blank desert. But the characters and vehicles look so alien and yet worn into these locations, that I can easily suspend my disbelief long enough to think that, yeah... It's friggen' rough in Mos Eisley, the interior of the Millenium Falcon seems like a legitimate place, and it's a special kind of satisfaction I get knowing that only with my experience from this one movie, I can blast open and find a real hidden garbage chute in the Death Star in Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

It just feels real, and engaging, and sounds fantastic thanks to excellent foley sounds and John Williams.

It's a good movie. I like it.

I watched the original Special Edition purely on a whim this time, and the more I watch the movie, the clearer to me that as much as I like the additions the Special Edition adds, they really pop out at me, even if I'm not looking at them. Jurassic Park did a phenomenal job with it's CGI, so much so that it's mostly the practical effects that stand out the most in that movie, however Star Wars was not made with CGI in mind, and in these relatively early days, it really only serves to stand out and distract me from a movie that was already accomplishing a believable alien world.

I don't know if the newest Special Editions have cleaned up that old CGI since, and if they did, I would welcome some of it back (the whole Han Shoots First thing is just funny if you're aware of the change, which I wasn't for most of my life), but the CG I saw today mostly detracted from my viewing experience, which is why I currently own the only officially released theatrical version of Star Wars that ever made it on DVD.

That said, I never felt very strongly either way until the changes I heard about being made to the BLU-RAY Special Editions. HOLY HELL WHY.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Sisters
Starring: Amy Poehler and Tina Fey.

So first off, let me just explain my bias. I love Amy and Tina, both 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation are two of my favorite shows. Tina and Amy play polar opposites who head back to their home town and childhood home to sort through the memories after their parents put it up for sale, hilarity ensues. Do I believe everyone will like this? Hell no. In fact it was quite a bit more vulgar then it seemed like some people expected, a lot more jokes than you'd expect were downright dirty and off colour. However, as I enjoy that type of humor a lot and these two really did well with the delivery, I was laughing the whole time, they turned a usually machismo style of humor on its head and did it their way. Mad daps to them for making a solid funny flick.

8.5/10

And yes, it's way better than Baby Mama.

Welcome to the human race...
Creed -

About par for the course as far as 2015 franchise films go (hey, let's pack in as many references to past installments as we can!), but not without its moments (dat long take).

The Martian (2015)

Lots of characters you don't care about. Exposition as a crutch. No sense of time. Probably a pretty good book. Only a competent movie. Very safe. The problems are predictable, but it's fun to watch the solutions unfold even if you know this isn't the type of movie to end badly.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Seen it just today, I'd say its around 7.5 out of 10 for me.

I really enjoyed it and especially liked the message it focused on, the choice between living your life doing what you like or doing what is logical.
I'm a realist so it was hard for me to accept the ending.
But i guess it's the message that we should pass on, it's just wasn't too realistic for me.

The Hateful Eight (2015)

+

When I first heard Tarantino was making another Western, I was not excited. The trailer did nothing to help my enthusiasm, so my expectations were not high. I'm not completely sure how good I think this is. My feelings went back and forth during the movie, I woke up this morning not thinking much of it, and now my opinion has grown more favorable after thinking about it during the day. At one point I thought I'd never watch it again, and now I want to watch it again soon. With another viewing my opinion could drop or soar, and I have no idea which.

Not much of a story, and that's fine and expected. It's all just an excuse to show off. The cast is fine, but I didn't think anybody particularly stood out. The one exception may be Jennifer Jason Leigh, but I found that later in the film when she had more dialogue, her effectiveness went down. Sam Jackson is consistently good doing what would be expected from him. Kurt Russell is mostly good, but I didn't think as consistent. Walton Goggins was an interesting casting decision. He's an actor I like, and he plays the racist redneck type well. I thought he was decent, but also a bit inconsistent. Tim Roth has a role that's made to stand out, but I don't think it quite got there. He's good though, although if the credits said Chris Waltz was the actor, I would have never known the difference. Except for Reservoir Dogs, I think Michael Madsen is a bum, but I thought he did well with limited responsibility. Bruce Dern was also ok in a role that didn't require much. Channing Tatum was also ok, but forgettable in limited screen time. As a whole, the cast does a good job, but there's no Mr. Pink, no Jules, and no Hans Landa.

I thought the dialogue was much like the cast in that it was not memorable or consistent, but I thought there were some great moments. I thought that some of the attempts at humor failed miserably. The violence, all in the second half of the film, was pretty effective, and I though the most brutal of any Tarantino film. As advertised, the film looks fantastic, and the musical score was excellent. There were times that I thought I was watching people trying to put on a show, rather than watching a movie, and that led to me feeling that the overall tone was a little uneven. I'm someone who believes that Tarantino's first three films are by far his best, and obviously I have a few complaints about this movie. Despite that, Tarantino's movies have an undeniable life about them that is uncommon in the film industry. A big part of it is the anticipation he builds; you always know that something is going to happen. I don't quite think this movie is great, but there's great in it. Many will love it, but I also think it will get it's share of negative talk.

^ probably gonna watch it tonight Cannot wait

The man who could work miracles (1936) took me by complete surprise. I expected a different approach, something definitely more serious and preachy, dealing as it did with themes of human condition. And while it has some of that, it turned to be a delightful British comedy with a really likeable -and astoundingly well performed- main character. With its great sense of humor and satire and an outstanding character growth, this turned out to be an incredibly enjoyable ride.

^ Easily one of the best films of the '30s. The special effects are a hoot.
Agreed! Something I forgot to mention but is indeed really impressive. The only moment I found lackluster in this aspect was the teleport to Bombay sequence, the rest is as solid and organic as it can get.

Safe Haven
Lasse Hallstr÷m
It's Christmas time, which means me spending more time with my girlfriend, which means being forced to watch girly movies. After watching The Vow the other night, it was time for Safe Haven yesterday. Even if it remains cheesy and very predictable, I had a fun time watching it. The actors are alright, but the entire movie is well paced and fun to watch. Not a very deep movie nor a game changer, but definitely an entertaining one (coming from a guy).
+

That's wonderful, Johnny!

Safe Haven
Lasse Hallstr÷m
It's Christmas time, which means me spending more time with my girlfriend, which means being forced to watch girly movies. After watching The Vow the other night, it was time for Safe Haven yesterday. Even if it remains cheesy and very predictable, I had a fun time watching it. The actors are alright, but the entire movie is well paced and fun to watch. Not a very deep movie nor a game changer, but definitely an entertaining one (coming from a guy).
+

They're both pretty good movies, but I thought The Vow was much better than Safe Haven.