Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Vow
Michael Sucsy
My girlfriend made me watched this. I expected a cheesy movie with an expected ending, and that's exactly what I got. However, I believe that there is good cheese and bad cheese. And The Vow kind of falls in the good cheese category, even if the entire movie was predictable. Still enjoyed watching it though.
+

Be a freak, like me too
Face to Face (1967) by Sergio Sollima

I wasn't always very concentrated because my father talks all the time when I'm watching a film (grrrr) : "Who directed the film?", "Oh, she's wearing a beautiful dress", "It's so strange to see a western in Italian", "Oh, we have the same carpet in the house" and blah-blah-blah
It's not one of the best western spaghetti I've seen, the beginning is (too) slow and a bit boring. But there's the music of Ennio Morricone, Gian Maria Volontè, Tomas Milian and William Berger, that's not bad.

Welcome to the human race...
More like too high.

Love & Mercy -

Two average biopics for the price of one.

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Ohh they have a COMPUTER! Primitive epidemic film. Really shows how people were scared of science and technology in 1971. The way the whole thing is feels so dated and naive by this point: state of the art laboratory must have stainless steel walls and be underground and look super spartan. Anyway, the movie is pretty good but its not a masterpiece of science fiction. Glad I watched it and would include it in my list of essential sci Fi movies.

Skyfall (2012)
I've seen SKYFALL several times before, but this was the first time in a long while and the first time that I really got what all the fuss was about. My usual complaints about the film didn't seen as big of a deal as they had been in other viewings, which allowed me to just enjoy it. Terrific performances by Craig, Dench, and the crew, although two of my issues with the film (Q and Moneypenny) were still a bit of an issue. Luckily Q redeems himself, for me, in SPECTRE.

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

I know this forum and many others are clogged with reviews of this particular film but I just wanna put my 2 cents in.

This film was . .. . . surprisingly pleasing. Actually, pleasing its not quite the right word. Extraordinary seems more appropriate, as it was so much better than the prequels which I consider to be very ordinary films. I'm not going to give anything away but I think this film a good balance of nostalgia and new stuff (including the introduction of the new characters). The ending left it wide open for the next film which slightly annoyed me because now we have to wait years for the adventure to continue!!!

Overall, I would give it a 9/10 (Well done J.J.Abrams!)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION
The best spy film of the year, hands down. It beats out the decent Spectre and the awful The Man From U.N.C.L.E.. Tom Cruise is at the top of his game as Ethan Hunt, along with Christopher McQuarrie, delivering a film that is vastly more entertaining than Ghost Protocol and may be the best of the entire franchise. The action in Rogue Nation is exciting, especially the car chase in the second half of the film, and the franchise finally gets a somewhat decent villain this time around.

Dilwale

To tell you the truth I've been waiting for the new Star Wars movie for a very long time. But it got pushed one week back due to this movie. Anyways, my exams got over on 17th and I needed to relax so I went to see Dilwale and that was one of the worst decisions I've ever taken. It was just the exact opposite of "relaxing". The plot was goofy, dialogues were goofy and on top of it all there was SRK, whose performance is getting worse with every passing second. The movie had nothing engaging. I've never left a movie halfway, so I decided to go through three hours of hell because I didn't want to ruin my record. Believe me that was a very brave thing to do. However unsurprisingly there were many SRK-fans who did enjoy the movie. So to put it in a nutshell, if you are an SRK fan then you are stupid enough to love this movie. For neutral moviegoers, don't even consider going for this mindless movie.

Star Trek (2009)

Star Trek: Into The Darkness (2013)

Rewatches. Trekkies can hate on JJ's movies all they want. Sorry to tell ya but JJ's movies have revived this franchise. I had no interest in anything Star Trek, but JJ made me a fan with his two films. Though the trailers for the new one are not filling me with excitement I'll have to see the movie actually before I judge it completely. The cast that JJ assembled is fantastic. Zachary Quinto looks so perfect as Spock, it isn't even funny. The obvious highlight of Into the Darkness is of course Benedict Cumberbatch as the notorious Khan Noonien Singh. Oh he doesn't look anything like Ricardo Montalban and he is so scrawny, wah wah wah. I don't care if a character in a reboot of a franchise looks anything like the original character, as long as the person they get to play that character sells me on it then I'll buy it, and I completely bought Cumberbatch in the role, he didn't have to sell me with his looks/appearance, he sold me with his acting and the actions he made. And that is why you always get the best actor you can for a role. Going for someone that looked like Ricardo isn't a bad thing but if you can't find anyone that can actually act and could pull off the similar look then you go for the best actor you can no matter the resemblance they have towards the original actor that played the role. If the character is suppose to be a certain race, etc then I could see getting a weaker actor to make sure the character is a certain race but nothing in the story was effected by Khan being a white guy instead of a big built Indian.

Versus (Rated Version)
[Friggen' Awesome!][Pretty Good][Meh...][Just Bad...][Irredeemable Crap]

Yakuza vs. Zombies vs. Yakuza Zombies in the woods. Funny for some good reasons, hilarious for a lot of BAD reasons. The acting is either entirely deadpan or HOOWHOOOOAAAAGGGGHHHHAHAHAHA*Hannibal Lector tongue flicks*.

The action is serviceable as the main crutch of the movie, since the story has absolutely nowhere to go, but if you can appreciate a movie where characters can catch shotgun blasts with their hands, deflect each others bullets with their own bullets, fight using swords that are sheathed with grenade pins and equipped with laser sights (for no reason whatsoever), then you can appreciate this movie.

Other than a female yakuza who gets offed immediately, the only significant female character is the most blatantly helpless, damsel-in-distress, unexplained love interest I've ever seen. I might be offended if she wasn't treated so poorly as to be hilarious when protagonist abruptly karate chops her into unconsciousness whenever the plot requires her to be out of the way for one of his fights.

Glad I watched the edited version, since the the unrated version ("Ultimate" Versus) is just plain gory for gore sake, and frankly, I'm rather disgusted that "full of blood and gore" is treated as any sort of legitimate selling point. Plus, it just irks me when a movie is trying to take itself super serious and then somebody starts spurting blood like a fire hydrant.

Still, unrealistic blood physics is way easier to accept from something like this or Army of Darkness where the cheese is the main attraction. Actually, Versus + Army of Darkness + maybe a little Hellsing, are probably the main ingredients for Devil May Cry or The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, and I'm cool with that.

Unregistered User

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

What a performance by Charles Laughton!! He plays 'the King of Fools' with such emotion that you just get lost in his passion for Esmeralda(a superb Maureen O'Hara). 1939 was a huge year as we all know for movies but this would certainly be right up there for me. Really am struggling to find a fault with this, I guess it doesn't get top marks because its not a favourite of mine...yet.

Superb.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Monsieur Verdoux
+

Shouldn't work, but totally does. I'm not yet sure if I'd label this my favorite Chaplin film, yet I would say it's the best movie I've seen from him up to this point. The photography was magnificent.

Short film about Love

Improves upon an already great episode of The Decalogue.

Cria Cuervos
+

Such an honest, intimate, and powerful film about a childhood clouded in death and loss. I teared up several times during the film, as this is one of those films that really struck an emotional chord with me. Seldom does one get such a genuine vision of how it is to be a troubled youth. Better than Spirit of the Beehive. Not a popular opinion, I assume.

Star Wars: A New Hope (Special Edition)
[Friggen' Awesome!][Pretty Good][Meh...][Just Bad...][Irredeemable Crap]

It's so hard to get a firm grasp of this movie. I always thought Star Wars was cool, but I was never part of the popular majority that held it up as any sort of masterpiece. Hell, if asked to list my favorite movies it probably wouldn't be anywhere within the first that come to mind.

That said, only three kinds of movies earn permanent spots in my collection:
Movies I Love Above All Others,
Movies I Have Strong Nostalgia For, and
Movies I Just Find Myself Rewatching So Often, I Might As Well Keep It.

Stars Wars easily earns a spot if not for nostalgia, then just for how often I find myself revisiting it. It's a very standard hero's-journey style of movie, but it's unique setting and imaginative elements set it apart.

Very easy to spot miniatures and other obvious special effects are easily dwarfed by how well everything else is executed. I'm completely sold on this world, with no small amount of help from strong acting, interesting characters, and great attention to detail.

This is certainly one of the most fascinating movies to learn about how it was made given how documentaries make it out to have been one big colossal crapshoot that few, if any, people had any real confidence in. But as much as I may find myself intrigued by stop-motion, rotoscoping, or what-have-you, this movie never really clicked with me in that special way other movies have. The music is certainly great, the stakes are high, and it could even make me laugh, but...

All things considered, the story never really takes any serious risks. It's strange to say about a movie I've seen so many times, but it all seems predictable save, perhaps, Obi-Wan's death scene, but even that's never really understandably justified until the sequel.

The only lightsaber fight in the whole movie is one of the series' most important showdowns, but simultaneously it's least interesting. The dogfights are easily the highlight of action in the movie (which would eventually change places with lightsaber fights as the series went on), but it's largely spectacle. We don't see a whole lot of creativity in how they unfurl. The good guys shoot the bad guys, the bad guys shoot the good guys, and eventually enough explosions end the fight. That's pretty much it, and as an action-adventure movie, it leans heavily on this these.

The best thing about Star Wars, I think, is simply the world-building. We never really see any fantastic locations other than the Death Star, we even open up on something as dull as a blank desert. But the characters and vehicles look so alien and yet worn into these locations, that I can easily suspend my disbelief long enough to think that, yeah... It's friggen' rough in Mos Eisley, the interior of the Millenium Falcon seems like a legitimate place, and it's a special kind of satisfaction I get knowing that only with my experience from this one movie, I can blast open and find a real hidden garbage chute in the Death Star in Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

It just feels real, and engaging, and sounds fantastic thanks to excellent foley sounds and John Williams.

It's a good movie. I like it.

I watched the original Special Edition purely on a whim this time, and the more I watch the movie, the clearer to me that as much as I like the additions the Special Edition adds, they really pop out at me, even if I'm not looking at them. Jurassic Park did a phenomenal job with it's CGI, so much so that it's mostly the practical effects that stand out the most in that movie, however Star Wars was not made with CGI in mind, and in these relatively early days, it really only serves to stand out and distract me from a movie that was already accomplishing a believable alien world.

I don't know if the newest Special Editions have cleaned up that old CGI since, and if they did, I would welcome some of it back (the whole Han Shoots First thing is just funny if you're aware of the change, which I wasn't for most of my life), but the CG I saw today mostly detracted from my viewing experience, which is why I currently own the only officially released theatrical version of Star Wars that ever made it on DVD.

That said, I never felt very strongly either way until the changes I heard about being made to the BLU-RAY Special Editions. HOLY HELL WHY.