The "ENIGMA" song is the best thing in this movie
WARNING: "Sliver" spoilers below
Sharon was hot back in the 90's!

★★★★
Another Orson "Whale" movie.
Very well done!

★★★★★
Shinoda at his best!
She is smoking. Near perfect in basic instinct.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Better watch out (2016)

Superior low-budget home invasion film that gets genuinely sick at points. Loved it!! Festive too 8/10.
Glad to see some other fans here.

Suspect's Reviews

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Maybe I shouldn't say it, but I'm not such a huge fan of Polański, but Venus is really good. Emmanuelle Seigner was outstanding.

[center]The House on Straw Hill (1976)

-

AKA Expose AKA Trauma and I believe the only British film to make the video nasties list. A writer is struggling to come up with a follow up to his smash hit out in a country house. He has these nightmares or hallucinations, I'm not sure exactly, and then hires a beautiful secretary to help him with his task. Suddenly the violence starts Omg! I thought this movie, surprisingly, was made pretty well and had decent performances. The problem, as is the case with many movies of this type, is that there's not much to watch between the good stuff. Still, it was decent enough and the last 20 minutes were very good.
Need to see this, sounds like a real curio. Fiona Richmond!!!

BlacKkKlansman (2018)

Pretty good, Washington is good and Driver is excellent. Funny in parts and serious in others, the most affecting part for me (strangely, for the subject matter/story) is the Driver storyline. Solid film from Lee that couldn't resist some "America First" goading but, hell, I'm a Brit so I took it at face value. The Harry Belafonte scene is heartbreaking. 7/10

The Dead Nation (2017) by Radu Jude

As a former history student, who dived into the Eastern European history after WW2, this was a very interesting watch. Despite the difficulty of the subject matter, dealing with antisemitism in Rumania, I thought it was told in a very engaging and thoughtful way.

This photo documentary might only be for the history nerds or Rumanians, but i would consider it a go if your inclined to understand and reflect on the horrors of the second world war.

+

The Forest for the Trees (2003) by Maren Ade

In recent years i have both seen Toni Erdmann and Alle Anderen by Maren Ade and loved both of them, with Alle Anderen being the Magnus Opus imo. Yesterday we watched her debut feature The Forest for the Trees which seemed like a TV-movie. Production wise it might not be the best, but the story and character depiction and development, where with key feature signs of Maren Ade. The whole lonesome primary school teacher in the suburbs, might be a used trope within cinema, but it still worked quite well.

For fans of Toni Erdman (2016)

Transit (2018) by Christian Petzold

For the time being i consider Petzold the best director in Germany with Phoenix being his masterpiece. Transit is a really good movie and reflection on the transitory being as a refugee. As it is, it is a really abstract films which deals with the transitory elements of being a refugee. The narrative shifts gear throughout the films, which makes it a rather difficult but interesting watch. Im very keen on reading the book it was based on and you could feel the literary inspiration in the manuscript.

+

The Forest for the Trees (2003) by Maren Ade
Seen it 3 times. Really like this movie.

Rage

Second viewing -

Snooze factor rating = Zz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Halloween 2018

Pretty enjoyable since I don't really have much time fro these types of movies, no real shocks in the storyline. Got a bit mixed up at the are they related etc as this is supposed to be the true sequel to the original but in the end it doesn't really matter. Carpenters soundtrack (or just theme) still packs a punch 7/10.

McQueen (2018)

McQueen is a well done documentary. I'd never heard of the Brit designer Alexander McQueen, although haute couture is not one of my interests. McQueen is quite a contrast to the recent Phantom Thread, with designer McQueen's forte being the new, fresh, or avant-garde; along with a chaotic lifestyle.

Dress design and its milieu as expressed in the various fashion houses is a whole world unto itself, with financial reward obtainable only by the top names, leaving the workers and models to be satisfied simply with the art of it. In that regard it reminds me of the music business..

Alexander McQueen came to a sad end of his own making. But the film about his career was fresh, and it held one's interest.
Doc's rating: 6/10