The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane was close to making my list, top 40 for me at least.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was just ok for me.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was my least favourite of all the Kramers I saw from this decade! It's still a very good movie!

Didn't have time to watch What Ever Happened to Baby Jane!

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner has left more of a lasting affect than it did an immediate one. I felt like it could have been a lot more in a lot of regards. More edgy, more humorous, more blatant, more heartwarming, ect. I feel like it took a more dramatic/comedic angle it could have been a lot more touching by the end. However it does have a charming atmosphere and an important message, and some scenes did stick with me. I don't believe it to be the best aged film, but enough lasting charm to earn a solid

I do not know what ever happened to Baby Jane as I have not seen it

I love these 2 films, they would both be on a top 35, but they weren't on my list.

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? is the second from my list. I had it one place higher than the last at #24. Like The Lion In Winter this is about the two main performers and the script but, unlike that film, for me the whole film lays heavily on those words and two performances. I'm sure for others the photography and make up also play a big part. Luckily for me, those words and performances are more than a match, though the photography and the make up aren't unappreciated.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
0/28 so far. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? is the movie that first teamed up two old-time stars in a quirky, original Grand Guignol. The psychological torture Bette Davis inflicts on Joan Crawford is well-sustained, and Victor Buono also gets into the flow of the movie playing a very strange pianist. There are several sick-and-twisted highlights along the way to a big plot twist near the end and a well-played finale at the beach.

I was able to find an old review for the next film, so here it is.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Stanley Kramer, 1967)

I might as well start with the most controversial and the most interesting film. I've seen this film many times, and although I always have a positive opinion of it, I can see why others may have more problems with it. In fact, I can see how the subject matter would almost cry out for cynics to lambaste it and declare it as phony a liberal, "feel good" movie as there ever was. Before I get too far into that, let's summarize the plot for the uninitiated. Joey (Katharine Houghton), the 23-year-old daughter of liberal San Francisco newspaper publisher Matt (Spencer Tracy) and his art store owner wife Christina (Katahrine Hepburn, Houghton's aunt) returns home with a world-renowned doctor named John (Sidney Poitier) and announces that they're in love and want to get married ASAP with her parents' unconditional blessing. John has to leave that night to fly off across the Atlantic, so there isn't much time to think about this surprising occurrence. Oh yeah, John is black and he wants to marry a white woman.

Even though Christina and John's mother (Beah Richards) provide the emotional core of the film, the film's drama derives from the relationship between Matt and John, especially when John says that he won't go through with the marriage without Matt's blessing, and Matt believes that the difficulties for an interracial couple will not only tear them apart but destroy the lives of their future children. The movie does try to cram a lot into its story, and it's really only a half serious film. Many of the situations are treated as comedy, so in hindsight, it seems that what appeals to seemingly-liberal white folks could be construed as somehow racist, even when the white family's black cook (Isabel Sanford) tries to protect the girl she raised (Joey) from some uppity... shall we say, handsome and famous doctor-researcher. So much for the plot. Let's see what I can muster about the meaning after a word from our next photo op.

(1967's Best Picture Nominees)
Compared to groundbreaking films released in 1967 (The Graduate and Bonnie and Clyde), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner does seem staid and safe in many ways. It's essentially all filmed on a set with fake backdrops and isn't very cinematic. However, it does have a superlative cast, and they are all given plenty to do. Spencer Tracy, who died two weeks after filming was completed, is especially strong, not only in his comedy, but in his powerful words at the movie's climax. For any scenes which may appear patronizing, there are probably two which appear heartfelt, honest and surprisingly moving. For every dated, hokey affectation, there is something which actually makes one laugh out loud at the human comedy. In fact, watching it last weekend, it definitely reminded me that things do change, often for the better, and even if there has never been a good reason to be racist, there may indeed be less racists alive now than ever before (although I might want to use percentages, since there has never been so many humans alive in history). In fact, somehow the film seemed more pertinent than ever after America's Presidential election a week ago today. Normally, I smile at the movie and tear up a couple of times. On Saturday, I must have teared up a half a dozen times, and all for what's basically a romantic comedy with some airs of social commentary.

Master of My Domain
What is it with these movie titles that keep asking questions.
At this rate, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf will pop up too soon.

Anyways, another two I haven't seen, meaning another two not from my list. Damn.

Red Desert was the first from my list to make the cut. It was my #12.

Im afraid i haven't seen Late Autumn but i hope that the Ozu film i put on the list will make it

Through a Glass Darkly and La Jetee are both but neither made my list

They Shoot Horses, Don't They is a fantastic film, but it ultimately didn't make my list. Jane Fonda's performance is excellent and even thought the metaphor may be a bit on the nose for some and the ending a bit too sadly pessimistic for others, I totally bought the whole concept and was emotionally moved and disturbed by the story. It's truly a very effective (and well made) movie experience!

Late Autumn was my number 15 and is the second film to make it from my list. It's one of Ozu's many deeply felt cinematic masterpieces. I can relate to Bluedeed's experience of feeling like you're part of a heightened reality after watching this film (and in my opinion all the Ozu films I've seen so far). I can't even imagine how it must feel after seeing one of his films in the theater, though. Visually speaking, my breath was especially taken away by the several landscape shots in this film. Those must be amazing on the big screen...

The "indoors shots" aren't bad either.

I hope another Ozu film also makes the list. I had all three of his 60s films on mine.

If I had known GWCtD was so under-appreciated I would have campaigned harder! It was my number 2 and is a top 5 all-time movie. There is so much depth in most of Kramer's films - often people only seem to be able to see the "message" but that is usually just a plot device or a catalyst. His movies are always first and foremost about people and their interactions with each other and with their society. GWCtD is a movie about love, not a movie about racism - well, that's how I view it anyway. I think it's worth pointing out that the on-screen chemistry between pretty much the entire cast was amazing - how the characters felt about each other was portrayed perfectly by each actor. Like Mark, it usually makes me cry in a handful of spots.

WEHtBJ is excellent too but just missed my list.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 22 of 28

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The still shots people have been posting from Late Autumn are really striking. Whether that will translate into a good movie remains to be seen, I will hopefully be able to watch it tomorrow.

I hope another Ozu film also makes the list. I had all three of his 60s films on mine.
Me too but I'm worried about the other two now - I figured Bluedeed and I would have Late Autumn high on our lists so thought it would be the highest placed Ozu. I hope I'm surprised and at least one of the others still shows up. If not, I'm starting the campaign for his 50s movies right away ...

Still nothing from my list. I've seen both of these films long ago, and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? is long overdue for a revisit, but neither were considered for my list.

About damn time one of my movies showed up. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane was my number 12. Very good thriller and some great performances. Especially by Betty Davis who was terrifying.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. ?
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962)
13. ?
14. ?
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Seen 5/28

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I've seen "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" a few times. I considered both of them but they got cut from the list. The one that was more apt to make the list was GWCTD, but that was mainly because of Spencer Tracy. I love him.

That seems really low for Baby Jane.

Anyway, I had Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at #11.

My List:

11. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
15. Hud
25. Rape (1 pointer)