The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I don't know about his mental health, but I can confirm that his prostate is in good condition.
KINKY!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Breakdown...

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

1st (25 points), 3rd (23 points), 7th (19 points), 15th (11 points), 2x 23rd (6 points)

Late Autumn

1st (25 points), 4th (22 points), 12th (14 points), 2x 15th (22 points), 24th (2 points)

Notes

Each film was the only to receive its respective amount of points, so no tie breaking process was necessary. Each film appeared on six lists, and each film placed 1st on someone's individual list too.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? was another I had on my shortlist that didn't ultimately make my cut. Glad it made the list, even without my help.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? was my number 7. A brutal film which really took me by surprise when I watched it. So glad it made the countdown. The third from my list to make it so far, after A Taste of Honey and Blowup.

I meant to watch Late Autumn but ran out of time.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I didn't have Late Autumn on my list, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would have made it had I seen it. I take it Sane had it at one?

I thought They Shoot Horses, Don't They? was a flawed film, at least more so than several other great 60's movies I didn't vote for. I voted for it because I thought it stood out and it stayed in my mind, and I wanted to support it for that. I knew Matt probably had it at # 1, and that Thursday probably voted for it, but I thought it's appearance was iffy. I had it at #23.

Late Autumn is terrific, but I didn't vote for that Ozu.

My list-
#6 Hud
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

2 films I have seen in preparation for this list and 2 films that didn't make the cut even though they are both excellent. I particularly liked Late Autumn, the ending, as always with Ozu, is very calm and gives you some sorof zen feeling. I find his themes and style to be a little repetitive (I know aa filmmaker has a style and it shows in every film, but it seems like it's always the same story in Ozu's case). Nonetheless it's still very effective.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I thought They Shoot Horses, Don't They? was a flawed film, at least more so than several other great 60's movies I didn't vote for. I voted for it because I thought it stood out and it stayed in my mind, and I wanted to support it for that.
I think that's as good a reason to vote for a film as any other! It certainly stood out and had an impact on me, which is why it got included in my list. Same for a few others on my list, actually, which were voted for despite their flaws. It's what makes a personal list a personal list

Two films that I have had my eyes on for awhile, but did not get too. I'm particularly interested in TSHDT, as the only Ozu I've seen- Floating Weeds- I was not all that impressed by, still interested in viewing his 60s films though

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is a brilliant film and a very impressive one. I give it

Late Autumn is a good Ozu flick, but my least favourite from his 3 60's features.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Is an excellent film. It wasn't on my list, but I'm very glad it made this one. Late Autumn, is a film I liked, for the most part, but never loved. Which is generally the sense I've gotten from all the Ozu films I've seen thus far.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I gave 1 point to La Jetee, and sort of feel like I should've swapped it for something. It's good and compelling, but weak compared to Sans Soliel, as well as other movies I realized I left off of my list.

Late Autumn was number 4 on my list and the second highest movie on my list that will make the countdown. I have a special attachment to it as it's the only Ozu movie I've been able to see in 35mm. There, the colors weaved and crossed in such delicate and intimate ways that heightened every moment of the film. I felt in a state of enhanced awareness for days after that, noticing colors, patterns, beauty in every direction. Rarely is the movie that changes the way you see, Late Autumn was one of 5 movies of the decade that have permanently affected the way I see. Ozu's subtle mastery and detailing of scenery, rhythms, emotion (repressed and expressed), an elevation of life that enhances one's own, rather than make one want for the fiction, is on full display here. It's my favorite of his color films and among my favorites of his overall.

Late Autumn was my number 1. Pretty much agree with what Bluedeed said and it is one of my favourite Ozu films also. Strictly speaking it's probably not my favourite film of the decade but it is the film I most wanted to make the countdown so it got the number one spot. TSHDT? is very good but didn't make my list.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
8. The Human Condition III
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 20 of 26

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Another day, another two films I didn't have on my list. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? depicts a very cynical, even sick, world where people will do anything for money and fame. Even though it's set about 80 years ago and was made in 1969, all one has to do is watch "reality TV" to see we're still doing it, and many people are willing to vicariously share in others' embarrassment and pain. Told in flashback, it vividly shows the effects of the Great Depression on people's broken dreams, utilizing a dance marathon at a seedy LA ballroom, the kind of event which actually became popular in the thriving '20s. The whole cast is good, with Jane Fonda getting her first big dramatic role, Michael Sarrazin showing his natural goodness which always was his strongest asset, and Gig Young as the smarmy M.C. who makes Joel Grey from Cabaret almost seem like a Disneyland employee.

Late Autumn is Ozu slightly tweaking his formula by having Setsuko Hara basically playing the mother of the kind of character she played in Late Spring. I see it as mostly a playful comedy of manners and errors, filmed uncharacteristically in color, and layered with many of Ozu's recognizable formalistic approaches, but I also wondered why it had to be two hours long. It's all very likable yet nowhere near the director's best in my opinion.