The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I linked to my review when I posted my thoughts, but here it is again.

If it's THAT thematic I imagine a tv show would be better, which we have. Besides, there were a lot of scenes that relied heavily on character rather than action or SFX, well at least in the director's cut. Switching from character to character with that same dark human tone is what kept the varying lives of this washed-up heroes together. I think the inabioity to PERFECTLY transition the themes and keep the movie at nearly three hours makes the movie feel like it's less character driven than the source material, but I'd easily say this is one of the most character driven superhero movies I've seen.

Yes, it's nice when people don't say obviously stupid things.

There are good movies about the gay community and bad ones. My gut is Hedwig is one of the bad ones (even though I wouldn't discourage others from seeing it as it is at least something)

I am free to say BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN IS A LITTLE OVERRATED! Hear that Twitter?

Shhhh, tomorrow's hints...

WARNING: spoilers below

Two men walk into a classy bar
One has money, but the other gets by
He's full of hair, wealthy man's full of himself
Bartender asks "What do you want?"
Wealthy man says "Two sakes for me and my friend"
Bartender asks "Who are you?"
He proudly proclaims it with open arms
Bartender serves him a drink, but wealthy man goes:
"What about my fr- hey, where did he go?"

So far I have seen:
#94 The Devils Rejects which is by far my fav Zombie flick and one that did not make my ballot. But it was close. I was hooked from the opening credits (Midnight Rider) through to the slightly overlong Free Bird ending. Very nasty film all around and somehow Zombie did almost everything right here. Most of my enjoyment is due to the performances of Bill and Sid who were excellent.

#91 Hedwig and the Angry Inch is another really good movie that I think people avoid because of the whole transsexual East German rock singer with mommy, daddy, boyfriend, husband, professional and body issues angle it takes. This is a very good musical, great performances, it's funny and I think the underlying story is something most people would get into but the wrapping, unfortunately, may hold some back from seeing this.

#90 Almost Famous another one I liked quite a bit but not top 25.

#89 Juno I saw it, it wasn't bad but it wasn't anything special. Only watched it once and barely remember it.

#88 Sunshine is the first from my ballot to show. I had it at #21. I'm a sucker for sci fi especially if it tries to be sort of accurate with the science part. Now I'm not suggesting the reigniting the Sun is very realistic but the journey there seems legit. I love the ship, the cast could easily have fallen into cliched characters and maybe they do a little but it's all so well performed that you barely notice it. Third act doesn't bother me at all. I was more bothered by nobody listening Chris Evans and his totally reasonable takes on the entire mission. The scene where the Capt and the Physicist repair the shield is just fantastic.

#87 Watchmen I saw once
but would like to see it again.

and finally

#86 The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is another one time watch that I guess I liked well enough
, but I couldn't tell you a damn thing about it.

Shhhh, tomorrow's hints...

WARNING: spoilers below

Two men walk into a classy bar
One has money, but the other gets by
He's full of hair, wealthy man's full of himself
Bartender asks "What do you want?"
Wealthy man says "Two sakes for me and my friend"
Bartender asks "Who are you?"
He proudly proclaims it with open arms
Bartender serves him a drink, but wealthy man goes:
"What about my fr- hey, where did he go?"
Something about this feels very No Country for Old Men, but I'm not sure. I imagine it being higher. As for the sake clue, I'm gonna combine it with the vanishing and spout Pulse.

Before I watch Sunshine, I realized that, on a forum full of people discussing directors, that if one Danny Boyle film made it, it's pretty safe to assume Slumdog Millionaire is confirmed. So I watched it. WOW! Excellent storytelling with a lot of tense moments, great acting and a beautiful ending. My only slim complaint is the same one I had for North by Northwest: the lady needed a LITTLE more character development. Either way, beautiful.

I didn't vote for it, but it would have made my ballot if I watched it. So I'm going to put together a "Post-Ballot" recording any changes to my current top 25 in comparison to the ballot I sent. I won't reveal any entries on my sent-in ballot until they're confirmed, obviouzly.

Sent-In Ballot: No movies yet.

Post-Ballot:
#17: Slumdog Millionaire.

Watching Sunshine now.

Before I watch Sunshine, I realized that, on a forum full of people discussing directors, that if one Danny Boyle film made it, it's pretty safe to assume Slumdog Millionaire is confirmed.
I would say that is an erroneous assumption.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
"where did he go" is OBVIOUSLY a Top Gun reference. "Where'd WHOOOoooo go?" Hold up. Checks calendar.... carry the one...

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I forgot the opening line.
These next four, I've seen em all 🥳 - None from my list
They're all pretty good, and I like them to varying degrees

88. Sunshine : I saw this film for the first time around a year ago, and enjoyed it - rewatching it again the other night lifted it in my appreciation. It is a first-rate science fiction film, and a realistic one at that - the filmmakers took what scientists had to say to heart, so what at first sounds a little far-fetched isn't as much as you'd think straight away. Delivering a bomb to restart our dying sun sounded drop-dead silly to me at first. Now, out of all the problems the crew of this space mission run into, it's one of the very last that seems to have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It didn't bother me too much, for it doesn't derail either the thrust or direction of the plot a great deal. I'm not overly fond of it either, but I can live with it, especially considering how good this movie is. If I were compiling my list of 100, rather than 25, there's a chance this would slip into the lower 50.

87. Watchmen : Out of these four films, Watchmen is my least favourite. That tends to happen with these graphic novel adaptations - though I find it a solid watch, and might even pop it on again soon and enjoy it. My friends, who had all read the novel, were gung-ho, and of course I had no idea what this was until I'd seen it, and borrowed Watchmen to read sometime later. Existing in an alternate universe, and a somewhat satirical one with Nixon enjoying an everlasting presidency, it nevertheless makes itself accessible for people who just go into it blind (thank goodness.) I remember that at the time, Jackie Earle Haley was really going to be the next big thing. Then along came that Nightmare on Elm Street reboot. If I had to guess without looking, I would have predicted this to have appeared previously on the Millennium countdown and Sunshine building an audience over the years to make a first appearance here - but the opposite seems to be true. I don't know if this would crack my top 100.

86. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada : A good one this one. One of only 4 films directed by Tommy Lee Jones (with two of those being television films.) It always gives me pause when an actor like this directs something really good, and then hardly ever makes another film. Perhaps the ordeal puts them off. Based on a true story, this involves revenge of a kind and friendship - and a bit of a meditation on how Mexicans are viewed by people North of the border. I like Dwight Yoakam, but I can never get past the fact that Barry Pepper agreed to be the lead in Battlefield Earth. Every time I see that actor I think of the sheer madness of agreeing to star in that. It will take many more good roles before I see him as being anywhere close to sane.

85. Caché : I had to check my ballot again to be sure Caché didn't make my list, such was the lateness of leaving it out - so obviously I'm glad to see it here. Watched it again only a couple of months ago and think it's a truly great film. Has anyone else watched the last shot and just thought it to be pretty random? Because it's not - and I only realised this last viewing. Anyway, a great film about guilt and about things overall that go unseen under the surface - not to mention how an act of childish spite could effect people in a very damaging way far into adulthood and the future. There's a creepy menacing vibe that's expertly fostered through the whole film, and although it's not my favourite Michael Haneke film, it seems to be a lot of other people's pick as number one. Personally, I love Amour and The White Ribbon - but with this film I come close to love. This came in at around the same position on the Foreign Language countdown list.

So, I've seen 9/16 now, and from my list there's only been the 1-pointer.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Sunshine - Slow burner with some cool ideas during the first act, heavy plotting during the second act, plotting and worthwhile tension in the third. Some of the greatest cinematography I've ever seen drives all three. I really enjoyed the movie more and more as it went along. That's necessary because I found one jarring flaw that almost distracted me from the tension during the first two acts: there's very little character development. The plotting is thick, which is good, but it's practically 95% made up of science this science that, which essentially means I can care more about the characters of The Magic School Bus. And the villain of the piece was underwhelming as a character and a threat. I wouldn't pit this in my top 100 2000's films, but I can see why some put it in the top 25.

I admittedly looked at the clue. I have two ideas floating in my head that are probably wrong.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Catching up...

95. Y Tu Mamá También- seen it, quite liked it, didn't come close to voting for it
94. The Devil's Rejects - never seen it and probably never will
93. Pride & Prejudice - nowhere near as good as the 1995 version
92. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - never seen it but it's on my list to watch
91. Hedwig and the Angry Inch - this was my #23. It's sort of brilliant. It wasn't the only musical on my list either.
90. Almost Famous - don't like it at all. Or, come to think of it, anything I've seen from this director.
89. Juno - don't really like Juno either
88. Sunshine - I do like Sunshine, although I liked it less on a repeat viewing than the first time round so it's slipped down my list a bit and wasn't in my top 25. I did vote for a different Danny Boyle movie though.
87. Watchmen - kind of surprised to see this show up as I always thought it wasn't very highly thought of. It's a bit too glossy and in some cases miscast and relies way too heavily on some really rather obvious soundtrack choices. I thought it was fine but not great. Not as good as the novel, obviously, but still entertaining.
86. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - well made, but not a favourite of mine.
85. Caché - such a frustrating film.

Seen 12/16
My list so far 2/25 + a one-pointer

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I guess, couple of minutes to the next reveal?

A system of cells interlinked
I think Iron Man is on its way folks.
Has a strong chance to make the countdown, for sure!

I think Iron Man is on its way folks.

Iron Man surpassed the majority of 2000's superhero films IMO. And since the 2000's were THE decade for kick-starting the superhero movie fad, that relevancy should be reflected on this countdown.

The Tin Man made the all-time list so I'm expecting cousin Iron to turn up at some point.