Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

As far as the law - it is illegal to assault someone over words. Banning speech (or saying it's acceptable to defend against inappropriate speech by using physical aggression) is NOT enshrined in law - just the opposite.
Yet we we have cops turning up at people’s doorsteps over tweets supposedly discriminatory towards trans people (though they were only really pro-feminist and pro-single sex spaces). It’s honestly hilarious (or sad) how context changes discussions like these. You can have police turn up at your door for saying “trans women are men”, did you know?

Admittedly, that’s the U.K.

I suppose this is where the US/Europe divide really kicks in, and yes, I do appreciate that.

I am entirely pro free speech, wholeheartedly. I just think then anyone can react to it in whatever way one sees fit. Said reactions themselves may have criminal consequences, yes, but that’s up to those reacting to said speech.

That’s your view, fine, well, I respectfully disagree. Not to mention that it seems a bit haughty to use terms such as “right” or “wrong” here with such absolutism. Little is inherently right or wrong imo outside murder etc. Anyway, I understand we are not going to agree on this and that nothing much can be done to convince each other. I’ve re-read your post above, and to me, in this context, “wrong” doesn’t even mean much. It is entirely relative and certainly none more “wrong” than the joke itself.

Could he have hit Rock with a closed fist? Smashed a bottle over his head? Strangled him? Could he have hit him with a baseball bat? Broke a finger? Stabbed him in the leg?

At one point does an act of physical violence against someone who is no physical threat to you become wrong?

If we can at least agree murder is wrong, there is a line over what we could physically do to another person before it become morally indefensible.

The reason we like to consider someone being wrong once we breach that physical barrier is because why do we want to dwell in the semantics of how much violence is too much violence? How about we just agree to keep our hands off of each other.

And it is just all the more glaringly so when it is Will Smith at a ****ing awards ceremony. And who then gets to proceed to sit in an audience to collect his award and not even be asked to leave.
Honestly, I think this is what's bugging me more than anything. Just sits back down in his front row seat like he owns the joint, gets an award, is allowed a longer-than-usual (self-aggrandizing) speech followed by an ovation and then parties like nothing happened. Must be nice to be Will Smith. This probably makes me a "hater".

"I wish I had a neuralyzer right now." Will Smith
"What I should have slapped was that other guy's **** out of my wife's mouf." - Will Smith

Ok? It was a joke. The jokes at the awards show are frequently at the expense of the audience members, by design, and really, it was a pretty soft one.

Smith's behavior was a f*cking disgrace, he shamed himself, his family, and the Oscars too which is a shame on what was otherwise a very good night. What a complete piece of garbage to have everything he has in this world and be on that stage, talking about being a vehicle for love and understanding in this world or whatever total BS his speech was after that reprehensible action, to be a role model to boys and young men, and act like that.
Boo on him. Shame and disgrace on him and his house. If there is a mother*cker I would cancel today, it's Will F*cking Smith.
Just go away Will Smith. And take your weirdo family with you.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think, arguably, the biggest offense from all of this that most of you have overlooked here is the fact that Yoda is posting uncensored video content. For shame.

Now imagine, if you will, a nakie, lil green yoda walking the roadways of King's Landing while Seds follows along, chanting some lines from Dune. Just think on that for a while.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Apparently not all users.

To be clear, we are all generally against violence and do not condone it. This does not preclude members of the Academy from giving Will Smith a standing ovation four minutes after he smacks the taste of of Chris Rock's mouth or AgrippinaX from pouring the acid of relativism over violence that falls short of murder. We are, however, all unambiguously against violence as a general proposition and certainly murder. #united

I think, arguably, the biggest offense from all of this that most of you have overlooked here is the fact that Yoda is posting uncensored video content. For shame.

Now imagine, if you will, a nakie, lil green yoda walking the roadways of King's Landing while Seds follows along, chanting some lines from Dune. Just think on that for a while.
I think Yoda can make amends by recording a bleeping sound and post it on YouTube with exact instructions on how to synch it up with the slap video.

It's the only way. I don't make the rules.

I am entirely pro free speech, wholeheartedly. I just think then anyone can react to it in whatever way one sees fit. Said reactions themselves may have criminal consequences, yes, but that’s up to those reacting to said speech.
I don't usually like to tell people they are wrong outright since most discussions are a matter of opinion, but here you're discussing the law and interpretations thereof.

You certainly have a right to your opinion about laws, but I don't see your opinion ever being popular enough to alter laws to say everyone gets to choose violence in response to words if the words offend them.

The law (in the U.S. anyway) is based on moral codes (mostly Judeo / Christian & various Western moral codes) and the law says that you can't just react to words with violence.

As you said, anyone can choose to do that, but they would be a criminal and would need to face prosecution with such a choice. In other words - they have no legal RIGHT to such a choice. It's not a choice supported by any law or commonly practiced & accepted moral code.

And the vast majority of moral codes practiced on earth currently, that are the basis for most laws (be they religious, cultural or philosophical) would deem anyone who responds to words with violence as being taboo, criminal or "wrong".

Given the context of the setting (the Oscars being about movies) and their placement (Smiths being in the front row, and one of them up for an Oscar) the joke was tame.
I love how you interpret the feelings of others. It was tame to you. Apparently it wasn’t to Smith.

You ready? You look ready.
I admit I am probably viewing this situation far too personally, but I think this is disgusting. Even the tone of the above. If it had been someone other than Smith, we could probably get some excellent freestyle slapping down Rock, but, alas, bad luck.

My usual disclaimer in that none of the points above are intended as personal/outside the debate etc etc.
I'm all for not making fun of someone with a health issue. But the joke was tame AF. And besides, I wish I'd be made fun of by being compared to a strong kickass woman. But what do I know. Must be awful.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

From watching the video, after Chris mentions GI Jane , Will laughs at it, then he slaps Chris. That is b/s. I watched the video Corax posted.

You ready? You look ready.
I love how you interpret the feelings of others. It was tame to you. Apparently it wasn’t to Smith.
I didn't say anything about their feelings, so sure. Pull a Will Smith.

Of all the things Rock could have tore into those two. He pulled his punches. Figuratively speaking.

I didn't say anything about their feelings, so sure. Pull a Will Smith.

Of all the things Rock could have tore into those two. He pulled his punches. Figuratively speaking.

It certainly was no "We saw your boobs"

Let's stipulate that Rock told a cruel joke in poor taste. OK, you're Will Smith. What's your play?

Could he have hit Rock with a closed fist? Smashed a bottle over his head? Strangled him? Could he have hit him with a baseball bat? Broke a finger? Stabbed him in the leg?
In my personal view, the fist would be at the upper end of appropriate. But there can be no absolutes. I don’t believe any of it can, or should, be rationalised like this. Why do you insist of finding a rule, a principle for this? Not everything can be legislated.

At one point does an act of physical violence against someone who is no physical threat to you become wrong?
I’d say at a point that where the act of violence leaves (or can leave) some kind of permanent damage. There’s always a chance of that, obviously, but I’d say with the first it’s highly unlikely.

If we can at least agree murder is wrong, there is a line over what we could physically do to another person before it become morally indefensible.
I don’t know if anything at all is morally indefensible. Random murder is, I guess. Life is complex.

The reason we like to consider someone being wrong once we breach that physical barrier is because why do we want to dwell in the semantics of how much violence is too much violence? How about we just agree to keep our hands off of each other.
Admittedly, that answers my question above. I think historically violence has existed for a reason. I think (especially given where we find ourselves in terms of the geopolitical tensions) restrictions on WMDs are essential, and if there was a way to get rid of them entirely (blowing them all up in space and all) then that’d be nice (I don’t think it is realistic, though), but other than that, I think violence as a way of defending oneself against slights verbal or otherwise is natural and should be available as an option. I’m afraid if we agree to keep our hands off each other, then we’ll just have even more verbal abuse and no way to, well, shut people up.

I am not claiming to have a rational argument for this, or to be objective, etc.

I don’t know if anything at all is morally indefensible. Random murder is, I guess. Life is complex.

See, we're all agreed. Complex as life is, random murder is morally indefensible, probably.