A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

A 1.9 on IMDb. That's . . . impressive?

Checking rottentomatoes now, Terror Vision has jumped from 0% to 10% on the critics' tomatometer (I'm guessing that means it has 10 reviews).

Checking rottentomatoes now, Terror Vision has jumped from 0% to 10% on the critics' tomatometer (I'm guessing that means it has 10 reviews).
Is it better to have a 10% score, or a 0% score?

I feel like the 0% gives you a certain kind of notoriety.

Is it better to have a 10% score, or a 0% score?

I feel like the 0% gives you a certain kind of notoriety.

I liked the 0% more because it allowed me to say there's a movie with a 0% on the tomatometer that I legitimately enjoy.

Has anyone seen the Finnish, medieval, horror movie, Sauna (2008)?
Asking for a friend (no really, actually I am). They want to know if it gets gruesome and to what degree (I guess if it does, give another movie for comparison).

Asking for a friend (no really, actually I am). They want to know if it gets gruesome and to what degree (I guess if it does, give another movie for comparison).
It's been a long time but I don't remember anything especially gruesome, and the IMDB parents' guide seems to confirm this.

The Horror of it All (1964)

I'm currently in the midst of a Terence Fisher deep-dive. A horror-comedy starring Pat Boone is not exactly what I signed up for, but I'm a completist so I was determined to endure this no matter how lame it was.

Boone is a bland but likable American visiting his English fiance's family for the first time. We're meant to think that the family is wacky, because the script tells us so, but this isn't quite the Addams Family. One uncle has a pet tarantula. Another one is a former actor who performs monologues out of the blue. WACKY, right?? This is shaping up to be as lame as I expected.

So imagine the utter glee I experienced around the 16 minute mark when my crush Andree Melly shows up, going full Morticia no less. It soon became clear that 50% of her dialogue was going to be vampire-related double entendres. ("Is he one of us? A....blood relation?") This was the point when I decided that this was a 5-star comedy classic.

Unfortunately there was still an hour left in the film, and things never did really improve. Family members start dying so there's somewhat of a murder mystery going on, although the characters aren't really acting with the urgency one would expect given that 3 family members have died in the past 3 days.

At no point was any of the spooky stuff spooky, the jokes were not very funny, Boone's one musical number was...something. The sets were pretty cheap so you don't even get the fun of a creepy haunted house vibe. I mean, there was an attempt made, but the whole thing was just sort of second-rate. Comparing it to something like Spider-Baby, this one comes up short in just about every way. Still, it might be fun as a family-friendly Halloween viewing, when you're only halfway paying attention to it.

Victim of The Night
I haven't finished but am about halfway through Woodlands Dark And Days Bewitched (this is the only type of film I don't feel like I have to watch in one sitting) and it's given me about a dozen old British movies I feel like I have to see that I can't imagine are available anywhere.
Hmph.

I haven't finished but am about halfway through Woodlands Dark And Days Bewitched (this is the only type of film I don't feel like I have to watch in one sitting) and it's given me about a dozen old British movies I feel like I have to see that I can't imagine are available anywhere.
Hmph.

This is how you start going down the path of getting region free Blu-ray players and start ordering blu-rays from Europe. Just you wait.

I should watch that documentary at some point. That collection got added to the home collection this year. (until you said this, it didn't cross my mind a lot of the movies in the collection isn't from the UK).

Victim of The Night
This is how you start going down the path of getting region free Blu-ray players and start ordering blu-rays from Europe. Just you wait.

I should watch that documentary at some point. That collection got added to the home collection this year. (until you said this, it didn't cross my mind a lot of the movies in the collection isn't from the UK).
Ugh. I've been trying to get rid of all the physical film-media I have on account of having a lot of vinyl and also getting the physical Times every day. With so much streaming access, it seems particularly crazy to me to get more DVDs/BRs (maybe I have 100).

Most of the UK movies I have never heard of or had any awareness about despite Horror being my genre and the pride I take on how deep my knowledge of that field goes (compared to most Horror people, not necessarily the most die-hard of this group). But they looked pretty interesting.

So in September I start thinking of my annual horror challenge...I feel like for 2022 to do a list of dual type films.

22. Anthology-Horror
23. Body Horror
24.Creature Feature
25. Historical Horror
26. Horror-Comedy
27. Psychological Thriller
28. Religious Horror
29. Science Fiction - Horror
30. Sex Horror
31. Supernatural Horror

I've got 10 sub genres set up if it's possible to come up with 31 I would I'd like some feedback from the horror fans. Do you see any blind spots or do think it's possible to get to 31 sub genres of horror.

Victim of The Night
So in September I start thinking of my annual horror challenge...I feel like for 2022 to do a list of dual type films.

22. Anthology-Horror
23. Body Horror
24.Creature Feature
25. Historical Horror
26. Horror-Comedy
28. Religious Horror
30. Sex Horror
31. Supernatural Horror

I've got 10 sub genres set up if it's possible to come up with 31 I would I'd like some feedback from the horror fans. Do you see any blind spots or do think it's possible to get to 31 sub genres of horror.
I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "dual-type"?
And why does it start at 22?

22. Anthology-Horror
23. Body Horror
24.Creature Feature
25. Historical Horror
26. Horror-Comedy
28. Religious Horror
30. Sex Horror
31. Supernatural Horror

You can break down sci-fi horror into two or three distinct sub-genres (I'm making up these terms)
1. Techno-horror - e.g. Videodrome
2. Aliens coming to earth horror (predator, critters, killer clowns, the blob). I'd probably lump certain non-space creatures into this group as well (the remake of the blob, the stuff), but that's probably because they remind me of the blob (original).
3. Horror in space or another planet (Alien... other movies).

Maybe #2 and #3 should be lumped together, but #1 is a different beast, IMO. I guess there's even a sub-genre of #2, which is alien infiltration (e.g. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, They Live!)

Folk Horror has an overlap with historical horror, but it did have a large collection in the past year or two. Particularly folk tales horror - e.g. Kwaidan or Viy.

ETA: Kaiju/giant monster is its own subgenre, but it also has the tendency to shuffle into men in rubber suits wrestling.

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "dual-type"?
And why does it start at 22?
Because when we do movie challenges we tend to do them in sections

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=62388

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=64846

You can break down sci-fi horror into two or three distinct sub-genres (I'm making up these terms)
1. Techno-horror - e.g. Videodrome
2. Aliens coming to earth horror (predator, critters, killer clowns, the blob). I'd probably lump certain non-space creatures into this group as well (the remake of the blob, the stuff), but that's probably because they remind me of the blob (original).
3. Horror in space or another planet (Alien... other movies).

Maybe #2 and #3 should be lumped together, but #1 is a different beast, IMO. I guess there's even a sub-genre of #2, which is alien infiltration (e.g. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, They Live!)

Folk Horror has an overlap with historical horror, but it did have a large collection in the past year or two. Particularly folk tales horror - e.g. Kwaidan or Viy.

ETA: Kaiju/giant monster is its own subgenre, but it also has the tendency to shuffle into men in rubber suits wrestling.
The issue is getting to 31 because 1/2 can also be sci-fi/horror

You don't want to make it to limited so that people can't play but you do want to make it a challenge.

Admittedly, I might be just listing sub-genres, as opposed to trying think of "dual-type" of horrors. (I'm just guessing they're movies that could be classified as part of another genre, that also happen to be horror, but I guess I'm not 100% certain of the term, myself).

Surrealism / horror

I liked it. Exactly my type of mystical occult-themed stuff. It wasn’t gruesome as far as I can tell.

22. Anthology-Horror
23. Body Horror
24.Creature Feature
25. Historical Horror
26. Horror-Comedy
28. Religious Horror
30. Sex Horror
31. Supernatural Horror

There's eco-horror.

Day of the Animals - type stuff

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
There's eco-horror.

Day of the Animals - type stuff

My favorite.

Lake Placid, Food of the Goods, Prophecy, what have you.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I liked it. Exactly my type of mystical occult-themed stuff. It wasn’t gruesome as far as I can tell.

Cool. I've been gathering it's low on the gruesome level.

This was for a friend who's doing something with someone, but that someone apparently not good with gore or stuff. So they had asked me if I was familiar and I was not.

I've related onto them that it sounds like they should be in the clear.