19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
20. Easy Rider (1969) - 38th
21. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
22. Definitely Top 10
23. Definitely
24. Pretty sure it’ll make it, maybe Top 20
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40

Playtime was my number two.

I've watched a few great films recently, and I'll post about them soon, but I feel like I really, really need to post about this one.

Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)

This film is a miracle. I was trying to work out in my head how to start my post, and I came to the conclusion that anything less would be an understatement. How on earth did Tati manage to construct such magnificent sets, to get buildings perfectly designed for his world? Everything is meticulously planned to perfection, the amount of cars, costumes, people themselves. It's absolutely mental how precise everything is and how well it comes together, perfectly choreographed.

The title is fitting for a film of organised chaos. It feels like Tati is sitting with a soundboard or similar device, pressing little buttons that set off lights and such in different objects - just like at the start of the film where he receptionist (?) makes a call to an office via pressing a combination of buttons that make different sounds and illuminate different lights.

The flawless design results in hundreds of extremely clever visual gags as well as physical ones from the characters involved. I feel bad watching the film at home on my TV. I know Tati insisted on the film only being shown in cinemas that supported 70mm and the sound system he wanted, and it is easy to see why. There are so many details and jokes packed into every frame, it is impossible to see everything that is going on. I felt delighted when I spotted different things such as reoccurring characters and jokes. I want to watch this film again already, and I can feel this becoming one of my all time favourite films that I will watch over and over again, spotting delightful new things every time. There are so many unique and hilarious characters throughout, and if I was to list individual moments, scenes, gags, I could be here forever. Tati directs and acts like a silent film star, he seems like the next step on from Buster Keaton. Here, the dialogue is secondary to the action and blend of all the other elements. The camera is carefully placed to often tricked us, sometimes walls or gaps between them are not visible to us, so actions are not always what they seem.

That's not to mention the films messages and what it aims to critique and laugh at. It is obvious to anyone that Tati is satirising the evolution of technology and modern day life and gadgets. His character gets lots in a confusing maze that scarily resembles what modern offices now look like, if his character moves to one place, his destination will move to another, he's unable to keep up with what's going on. I liked the commentary on Paris, on France. In one noticeable visual trick, the Eiffel tower can be seen as a mere reflection on a glass of a modern business building. The Paris that tourists are coming to see is not that of dreams, but instead a bleak, grey, modernistic world filled with machines. The film seems to undergo some sort of evolution in this sense, what starts of as characters lost in a world, the second half seems to bring them together, things go wrong but friendship goes stronger. Then in the famous final roundabout scene we see significant colours of red, white and blue, just like the opening credits (that are focussed on the sky, before dropping down to the grey city), as the music plays.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I wasn't sure The Innocents would still make it at this stage. I had it as my #19. A really beautifully shot, effectively chilling film, which could be interpreted in a variety of different ways.

I have not seen Playtime.

Both excellent films, Playtime was the only one of the two to make my list. I had it in 20th position. For the longest time I had it fairly strongly positioned within my top 10, but over time it slowly fell down the rankings as the list came together in its final stages.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I was a little disappointed with "The Innocents". I generally like Henry James' stories (and adaptations of them), but I was never a big fan of "The Turn of the Screw". Yet, I wanted "The Innocents" to turn out better than the story. And it just didn't do it for me.

I always wanted to give it another try. At some point I will.

Playtime was my #18. I really wasn't expecting to like it much but ended up really enjoying it and actually rewatched it last week. If anyone is thinking of watching it they should follow it up with the excellent analysis video Bluedeed posted. The Innocents would have made a top 30 excellent film.

Seen - 34/70
My List - 6/25

6.Army of Shadows
18.Playtime
21.Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
22.Judgement At Nuremberg
24.Easy Rider
25.From Russia With Love

Playtime is the sixth from my list to make it, and I had it ranked 6th. I liked The Innocents, but Mark loves it and has a great take on the film which you can read here in this spoiler-filled thread: http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=20319
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Nice! The Innocents was #25 on my initial list, but then I watched Knife in the Water and it got bumped off. Great horror film though and one that I feel I can already go back and rewatch,
. Wasn't sure if it would still make it.

Playtime on the other hand was a huge dissapointment. It just to much of a gimmick based film, which I don't care for. Awesome production set and the shopping scene was funny, but it just became to much of the same.

The Innocents was my #16. It's exactly my kind of horror (no gore, pure atmosphere) and masterfully shot, so obviously I was going to love it.

Playtime has been on my watchlist for like eons.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Innocents was my #13. I was amused by Play Time but I also found it as laborious as other Tati films. Apologies to those who love it.

#1 Elmer Gantry (48)
#6 My Fair Lady (40)
#7 Mary Poppins (49)
#12 Z (44)
#13 The Innocents (32)
#14 The Manchurian Candidate (34)
#22 Spartacus (47)

Having read a few recent posts about this film, I've decided to create an in-depth review/discussion of The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961) here. Now, I don't want to write so much up front that nobody else feels comfortable enough to share their thoughts, so I'm going to do this in bits and pieces in the hope of fostering more discussion and enticing film buffs to watch it for the first of hopefully many times. I find The Innocents to be an old friend, just as many of you find your favorite films. The thing which makes this friend so inviting is that I understand that it is multi-dimensional, so if I start looking at it in only one way, it will bring me back to reality by explaining to me that it's a full-blooded, living thing which is far more complex that I can ever try to explain to it or myself. Even so, if a film truly deserved to be examined in depth (of course! many do), this is one of the first I would pick.

One of the most incredible things about The Innocents is that it can be discussed on so many levels. The juiciest line of discussion is obviously the plot and what each individual takes from it. It certainly has an open-ended, yet incredibly-deep choice of interpretations, not only for the entire film, but for almost each individual scene. In fact, the way the film builds each scene upon the previous one will lead you to think the film is about something which you could easily interpret a different way every time you watch it. The truly wonderful thing about this plot, crafted by Henry James in his novella, The Turn of the Screw, as adapted by William Archibald and Truman Capote, is that it's never confusing. Even if you keep changing your mind about what you think truly happens, you are never confused. Rather, you are someone akin to a juror who has to look at a complex case from every conceivable angle. The Innocents truly rewards people with open minds who also pay attention.

Another aspect of the film which may be discussed "All Day and All of the Night" is the acting. I've been reading at a few sites how people dislike Deborah Kerr's performance. They say it's one-note. I'm not really sure what movie they are watching. Considering that Deborah Kerr was nominated for six Best Actress Oscars, I find it INCONCEIVABLE that she didn't get a best actress nom for this one. She plays a repressed Victorian 40-ish spinster who was brought up in a strict religious household. She is going to try to help people and children, but she is also going to interpret things in a certain way. Then, there are the children. Martin Stephens and Pamela Franklin certainly give two of the greatest child performances in film history, so if anyone wants to fight about that, I'll probably just think you're a contrarian. One of the most important performances is that of Mrs. Grose (Megs Jenkins). She knows the children from the past, she knows the history of the dead servants and she's starting to know Deborah Kerr's Miss Giddens. Her reactions to everything are a key in unraveling the truth of the situation.

Of course, the technical credits are a place where The Innocents truly shows how significant of a film it is. Jack Clayton, a wonderfully-expressive director, had a way to elicit terrific performances and then drop them into meticulously-crafted films where he was able to draw your attention towards (and sometimes away from) all the most-important things in the movie. A Clayton film is suffused with visual wit, both from the cinematography (in this case, my fave B&W photography ever, by Freddie Francis) and from the film and sound editing. The sound design of this film is incredible, even if you can only currently get it in 2-channel on DVD. The sound effects often go hand in hand with the photography and the overall editing. A wonderful example of this is the scene where Miss Giddens sees what appears to be a tall man on top of a tower. This scene plays out with strange, buzzing sound effects while she's cutting flowers in the garden. The way the sound changes from the beginning through the middle and on up to the ending of the scene is a textbook of storytelling/filmmaking technique.

YouTube video no longer available.

Of course, no amount of filmmaking pizzazz is going to get your attention if you just don't like the film. I'm not sure what makes some people like some films and not like others. I have tried to make my life into a BS study of some objective form of film criticism, but we all know that it's possibly a lost cause and probably a silly one too. So, I just hope you find films to love, and I'll try not to overcriticize when I see your choices and find myself incredulous. Likewise, I hope you have open minds too. Now, no matter what else matters to me about films and what constitutes a great film, I find The Innocents to have more truly shudder-worthy moments than any other film I've ever seen. I also find it to be perhaps the most disturbing film ever made, at least if you extrapolate all the plot significances out to the nth degree. It's truly frightening, X-rated stuff. Anyway, here is one of my fave moments in any movie, the hide-and-seek-scene.

OK, well, I said I was going to get into this slowly. Hopefully, there have been no spoilers so far, but if you want to discuss the film (PLEASE DO!), I'll get more into it. This is a film I highly recommend to all people. ash, if you want to come in here and discuss your disappointment, that's one of the reasons I put this up here. One thing you really need to pay attention to is the opening and closing credits. They are mind-bogglingly haunting and tell you a lot about Miss Giddens' thoughts and regrets. The opening credits are also a wonderful entryway into a totally unique film experience.

I go away for a few days and more of my films turn up in those days than they have since the start of the countdown. The Haunting (2), The Manchurian Candidate (6), Peeping Tom (7), Easy Rider (5) and Breakfast At Tiffany's (8) were all on my list and all top 10 as you can see.

The Manchurian Candidate is another good film from Frankenheimer. He is a director who often made films in genres I'm not that fond of but his direction always made me like them.

Peeping Tom is very good. I wasn't overly impressed with the acting but visually this film is a masterpiece.

The Innocents is another beautifully shot film but I didn't enjoy it as much as many people do.

Playtime is very good. I've only seen three of Tati's films but have enjoyed them all. Hopefully Mon Oncle will achieve a similar placing when we do a 50s countdown.

Didn't vote for any of them.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
9. Judgement at Nuremberg
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
24. Z
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 58 of 70

Two more great films that I don't think I got the full potential from, and as a result, I didn't vote for them. I think I just saw The Innocents later in life than is ideal, while I think the clever and unique Playtime demands multiple viewings.

The Innocents was never in the running for my list, but Playtime was #5. Truly an amazing film. It's amazing it could even be made, as I believe it was the most expensive French film of its time, and the results are spectacular. Jacques Tati again playing Monsieur Hulot...only this time he's not always the main focus of the film, but just another character lost in the absurdity of a "modern" Paris. The sets for the film are impressive and every second, even when it seems not a lot is happening, is crammed with jokes. Someone called it "gimmicky" but I have no idea what the gimmick is supposed to be. I think it's a masterpiece.

My List:

3. A Hard Day’s Night (#53)
5. Playtime (#31)
9. Bonnie and Clyde (#45)
18. Peeping Tom (#33)
21. Andrei Rublev (#55)

Which films have been announced yet? Struggling to read through 83 pages

A couple more from my top 10! I guess my complaining about most of my movies being from the bottom 10 of my list really paid off.

3. The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton)
5. Elmer Gantry (1960, Richard Brooks)
9. The Manchurian Candidate (1962, John Frankenheimer)
15. Z (1969, Costa-Gavras)
16. A Hard Day’s Night (1964, Richard Lester)
20. Mary Poppins (1964, Robert Stevenson)
21. My Fair Lady (1964, George Cukor)
23. Easy Rider (1969, Dennis Hopper)

I super duper love The Innocents in particular. Obviously, since it's my highest rated film to show up so far. Super beautiful and eerie and cool and kick ass and I love it! I actually have the Spanish language version of the poster Daniel used for the movie where the title is "Posesión Satánica," which is perhaps a little too definitive in its interpretation of the movie.

I feel like I still have a good ten more from my list that are likely to show up, which, considering all my picks have shown up in the last 25 or so slots, seems like a lot.