Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Can you be more pacific like what has he done and why is he a riddle
Dont worry about it. It's got nothing to do with the last jedi. Nothing to see here.

The Last Jedi IMDB rating has dropped again to 7.7, was 8.5 last week.
I highly recommend forming and defending opinions independent of meaningless affirmation from strangers. Trust me, it makes the whole movie watching/discussing thing way more enjoyable.

Give it a month or two, the truth is coming soon.
Yeah, or there'll just be a sustained effort among people who hate it to drive it down, and that takes awhile.

Oddly the opposite thing always happens on Letterboxd. Usually every big new release gets an inflated average score before things settle down after a few months. Guess it's because it's a much smaller community and probably has less trolls. The Last Jedi is currently a 3.9/5 there. That makes it just inside the top 50 of 2017 by Average Rating. But that's pretty high since Letterboxd doesn't have as large of a minimum vote to qualify feature, think theirs is at 50 views or something. Meaning a small Art House film seen by 50 people who loved it and seeked it out is going up against The Last Jedi which has been rated by 46 Thousand people. Most of the ones above it haven't been rated by anywhere near that amount of people.

The Last Jedi IMDB rating has dropped again to 7.7, was 8.5 last week.

Give it a month or two, the truth is coming soon.
give it another week u ll see where it will be dropping to, one last thing.
where are the knights of ren, we never see any backdrop for these foes , ah gosh, i already said what i had to say about TLJ...

A system of cells interlinked
Sadly, the more I ponder the film, the more it sort of comes apart at the seams. Some really interesting, thought provoking stuff in there, but a whole lot for me not to like, as well.

WARNING: "The Last Jedi" spoilers below
Finn should have died. I think it would have been a really noble and brave way for him to go out, as I think his character really has nowhere to go at this point, and perhaps had nowhere to go before this film started. Instead, he gets hip checked out of his heroic sacrifice by a character that is basically a social justice warrior that had spent earlier parts of the film preaching about animal cruelty and how rich people are the worst people ever, you know, worse than the genocidal psychopaths that just blew up 5 planets in the previous film. After she "saves" Finn, spouts some nebulous stuff about living to fight another day, then keels over dead...or not. Later we see that she is just hurt. Sadly, she will probably return for the next film, which will raise the number of characters with not much to do in the grand arc of the story by one.

The Yoda stuff irritates me. The image of Yoda and Luke sitting in front of the fire near the end of the sequence, now that I have had time to think about it, seems like it was a cheap shot at sentimentality - a sort of spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. The medicine being the he stuff before that basically shredded a ton of classic Star Wars mythology. When I attempt to examine the subtext behind this, I can't help but wonder if Disney is attempting to deconstruct all the classic mythology of the series in order to install some sort of post-modernist collectivist nonsense. Combined with Kylo's comments about letting the old ways go, it sure seems like it.

I dunno, thinking about this film too much kind of bums me out - not a very fun flick. Star Wars was always great for me because it drew on classic themes of heroism and wonder, without all the janky SJW politics and deconstructionism.

The crew of Rogue one, however - true heroes!

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I wonder if Sean Bean likes his death reel.
I think he dose, made him famous

Hamill:
"I had trouble accepting what he saw for Luke... having seen the movie, I was wrong"

Mark says he’s not a fan of “New Luke”.
Fans: SEE, HE HATES WHAT THEY'VE DONE WITH LUKE!!!
Mark adds that he changed his mind.*
Fans: Well, he’s just being paid to say that; a PR spin.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

E X T R A T H I C C 👌👌

(I just noticed the vagina on her head during my second viewing. This film has so much sexually suggestive imagery. )

I was about to post this:

But it seems situation has calmed down
Yeah half of what I was saying in the debate earlier was serious, the other half I was just trolling. at first I wasn't but calling myself a humble commentator I ended up just saying things to blow the situation out of proportion, I get bored sometimes and create my own fun. And since there was no one taking my side I didn't feel guilty about doing it. But I respect this film site enough to put my trolling days behind me. And write more meaningful Threads in the future. But to be honest the topic of Star Wars is my Achilles heel since I have such strong opinions on how I feel a Star Wars movie should be. But hey there's nothing but love now and I wish all of this site a Merry Christmas. But for all of you on this site feel free to discuss any subject with me your find I'm a more reasonable person when I'm out of my trolling state of mind

I never felt like Star Wars was meant solely for kids. It's meant for everyone!

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Good god what a waste of time. I couldnt care less about some random strangers on the net who obviously think they're cool signing up to vote in a poll to wreck a product. If I want it, or in this case if I want to see the movie, I will. I dont even check polls. Who on earth does that. (sign up a new account to vote). Maybe if they put that energy into voting for the leader of their country they wouldnt... oh never mind. different war.

This might just do nobody any good.
I like that there’s all this talk about the RT score and petitions to remove the film from the canon and it’s like they all ignored the half billion it made over a weekend

Welcome to the human race...
Sadly, the more I ponder the film, the more it sort of comes apart at the seams. Some really interesting, thought provoking stuff in there, but a whole lot for me not to like, as well.

Finn should have died. I think it would have been a really noble and brave way for him to go out, as I think his character really has nowhere to go at this point, and perhaps had nowhere to go before this film started. Instead, he gets hip checked out of his heroic sacrifice by a character that is basically a social justice warrior that had spent earlier parts of the film preaching about animal cruelty and how rich people are the worst people ever, you know, worse than the genocidal psychopaths that just blew up 5 planets in the previous film. After she "saves" Finn, spouts some nebulous stuff about living to fight another day, then keels over dead...or not. Later we see that she is just hurt. Sadly, she will probably return for the next film, which will raise the number of characters with not much to do in the grand arc of the story by one.
WARNING: "and the crowd goes TLJ" spoilers below
Where exactly do you think the First Order got the money and resources to build a weapon capable of blowing up five planets, though? We're meant to think it's messed up that we spend all our time in the company of these heroes who are struggling just to stay alive against a well-stocked army of genocidal psychopaths only to find out that there's a whole class of people who are able to sit out this entire war in comfort and luxury while child slaves and racing animals suffer underneath them (this is all summarised by del Toro's character selling out Finn and Rose to the Order because he only cares about which side pays more instead of good-versus-evil and even tries to play the both-sides-are-equally-bad card even though we the audience know the difference between the two).

Speaking of Finn and Rose, it's well-established that his sacrifice of flying into a cannon would not have made a significant difference to the rest of the Resistance's chances and Rose saving him is meant to reflect that it's less about dying for nothing than living for something (as is Luke Force-projecting into the battle to serve as a diversion).

The Yoda stuff irritates me. The image of Yoda and Luke sitting in front of the fire near the end of the sequence, now that I have had time to think about it, seems like it was a cheap shot at sentimentality - a sort of spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. The medicine being the he stuff before that basically shredded a ton of classic Star Wars mythology. When I attempt to examine the subtext behind this, I can't help but wonder if Disney is attempting to deconstruct all the classic mythology of the series in order to install some sort of post-modernist collectivist nonsense. Combined with Kylo's comments about letting the old ways go, it sure seems like it.
The seeds of deconstructing the Jedi mythology have been there since the OT, though - at least since Return (wherein Luke rejects Yoda/Obi-Wan telling him to kill Vader in favour of trying to redeem him) and possibly even Empire. The prequels also attempted to expand upon that by having flaws in the Jedi's dogma play a party in Anakin's turning to the Dark Side - while you could definitely debate/question their effectiveness in that regard, it's not like this particular criticism of the Jedi is all part of some Disney conspiracy or whatever. It's been an established part of the canon for the bulk of the series so there's no need to be so surprised when TLJ ends up taking it to a more direct level.

I dunno, thinking about this film too much kind of bums me out - not a very fun flick. Star Wars was always great for me because it drew on classic themes of heroism and wonder, without all the janky SJW politics and deconstructionism.

The crew of Rogue one, however - true heroes!
You want to talk about janky deconstructionism replacing the heroism and wonder and fun associated with a popular franchise and bumming out the fans, you should hear about this other little movie called Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

But seriously, I reckon The Last Jedi is all the better for how it subverts and deconstructs conventional concepts of heroism, most notably through Poe's attempts to be an individualistic hero causing even more damage to the Resistance (as well as the aforementioned Finn sacrifice attempt). That's why I brought up Blade Runner a few pages back - it's only a disappointing film if you go in expecting it to be about a good human who is good at killing bad robots, but what makes it a great film is the way in which it actively defies those expectations to be about something more than just the same old hero-villain conflict. TLJ being a Star Wars film is irrelevant - the series has been toying with heroism since the OT (the main hero doesn't even kill the main villains in the end) so I'd ultimately be a little disappointed if TLJ just went through the motions instead of actively challenging the concept of what it means to be a hero (especially compared to the stock-standard narratives of TFA and R1).

We've got a handful of threads about this already, and what I pretty much always say is: I take IMDB seriously at the extremes. It's very unusual for bad films to have really high scores, or good films to have really low ones. Not impossible, of course, and for some films I don't look at it at all, but for anything borderline, and as I find time to be increasingly scarce, I find listening to it at the two far ends of the spectrum to work pretty well.

TLJ seems to be a good movie, only at the moment, it has been playing for like the 2nd week. lol

I like that there’s all this talk about the RT score and petitions to remove the film from the canon and it’s like they all ignored the half billion it made over a weekend
Transformers movies sell tickets too.

isn't an argument. Neither is two or three of them in a row.

I like how your second sentence looks like you're going to be a big fan of TLJ then suddenly you aren't a fan of TLJ.

lol
Argument? I never said it was.