Step Right In! Witness A Swan Discuss Cinema!

→ in
Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Watson deserved it based on the little I watched. Her performance was beautiful.
Definitely but still, a lot of films should have earned him some noms, I thought they might, just maybe, nominate Dogville because that's not quite as artsy or taboo as a lot of his films I think, but they didn't anyway

The Oscar's are more full of crap than a cow who ate a bunch of crap.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
That one has already interested me, I'll have to check it out Med!

Yeah, I noticed at the European film awards, they only nominated the film based on the director's cut, so it does look like the way to go!

Wait.. you don't really believe that, do you?
I'm not even trying to be mean. Like, if you really think it's his best film that's fine. I was just taken by surprise.

My feelings about von Trier are a bit odd. On one hand, I think a lot of his films are fantastic, moody, experimental, human, creative, etc. On the other hand, there is something about his work that keeps me from outright loving it. I can't really explain it. I want to say it's the fact that he goes for shock just for shock value, but I don't think that's it. It's just that "von Trier vibe" I get. That in-your-face feeling.
Nailed it. I've always found von Trier interesting, but one gets the feeling he tries way too hard.

I've not seen Breaking the Waves yet but it's not as manipulative as Dancer in the Dark hopefully.

@Swan - I don't know if it's his best film or a personal favorite, but in way it is his magnum opus or at least his own attempt at making one. The ultimate Trier film on many ways; like a compiling piece of all what he stands for made into a 5 1/2 hour provocative intellectual playful daring and demanding piece of cinema.

And yes, I think the movie is close to a masterpiece. It won't pay off as well if you haven't seen most of Trier's work, since there is countless of references throughout and even to other films in cinema.

The movie is his hardest to watch (no pun intended), it's not easy to surrender to it, but if you are able to, it's an amazing experience.

It seems to be misunderstood overbroad though. Here in Denmark and Scandinavia it was hailed as a masterful piece of work, earning full house ratings from several acclaimed critics and Trier fans alike. I gave it close to such rating myself.

Back in 2011 and 2012, before I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I wrote every day. At the time, I was inspired by the likes of Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson. Even just an image of Paul with his notebook would make my day, get my creativity going, make me sit down with my own notebook and start writing. I loved Tarantino's fast-paced writing style. He would just churn out page after page of material, even stuff he'd never use, and that got me to do the same.

Both of them felt like "peer-mentors" to me. Mentors because I constantly learned from them. Peers because I felt like I related to them, not in terms of genius but in terms of history and process. There were moments I would learn something new about them and think "that's just like me!" This gave me hope. Hope because if there were similarities between these two people I idolized so much, even if I might not be the geniuses they are, maybe I could make something decent one day. That hope was so powerful that, even though I don't talk about them much anymore, it still lingers to this day.

My favorite film back then was probably There Will be Blood, if we're just talking about the film I watched the most and the one that got my creativity going the best. To this day, the score sits in my top five favorite scores of all-time. However, I got a bit burnt out on it that I haven’t watched it in a long time. Right now, I’d even consider The Master my favorite PTA film, just because I’ve only seen that a few times and thus it feels more fresh and exciting to me now than There Will be Blood. That said, I’m never going to dislike There Will be Blood, regardless of the varying degrees of enjoyment I have with it (varying as in, from really like it to love it - nothing less). It had too much of a lasting impact on me for me to dislike it.

This isn’t as in-depth as I’d like to get regarding PTA's work. I’d like to talk about Tarantino more as well. And I'd like to talk about my cinematic journey in 2011 and 2012, a very powerful time in my life when my creativity was at it’s peak, where I could really think outside the box in a way I sadly don’t feel I’m as good at anymore, and a time when my psyche was starting to go haywire.

But I’ll save that for later.

PTA is a top ten director for me. I've liked all seven of his movies, although i really have to rewatch Boogie Nights and Inherent Vice. TWBB is a top ten film for me and my favourite from the 21st Century, while The Master is my favourite of the 2010s so far. Just such a talented filmmaker, writer and he really knows how to get a good performance out of his actors.

Even if you aren't very fond of his work i do think he is a great rolemodel for aspiring filmmakers. As he didn't attend film school but instead read filmmaking magazines and spent time experimenting with his camera

Even if you aren't very fond of his work i do think he is a great rolemodel for aspiring filmmakers. As he didn't attend film school but instead read filmmaking magazines and spent time experimenting with his camera
Agreed.

Dancer in the Dark 4/5
Antichrist 3.5/5
Melancholia 3.5/5
Nymphomaniac 2/5

I want to see Breaking the Waves and maybe Dogville
Melancholia - She was bathing in the moonlight, as if planet death would be her lover.
Breaking The Waves - What a woman is willing to do to keep her lover safe.
Dancing In The Dark - How far a woman will go for the love of her child.
These 3 movies are in my top 5 most memorable list.
I hope it's okay to write more, like I'm doing right now.
I'm new, so please tell me to shut up if this is not done.
Just starved for people who are movie lovers.

This thread is open for anyone who wants to contribute. Even raul's nonsense is permissable.

I don't like PTA but I cannot deny that he is one of today best director.

PTA is easily one of the best directors working today, despite what I saw as a misstep with Inherent Vice. I expected to not like There Will Be Blood, but when it was over, I thought it was a masterpiece.

Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, The Master(I caught it on tv) and Inherent Vice.

My favorite from him was Magnolia which is very good but overlong...
Boogie Nights is good and I love Marky Mark in it.
Punch-Drunk Love is not my kind of movie... so I didn't appreciate it very much...
The Master I was totally bored by this flick and I see it 2 years ago so I didn't remember it very well
Inherent Vice was horrible... and boring