Pets

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I was telling dteam about my double coated Jacks shedding like hell, but the pug is so much worse when her coat blows. Feels like I;m covered in worms as the demented hairs try to burrow into every pore, eyes, nose, mouth, ears...

Yeah I noticed that about Harley, his hairs stick into fabric whereas Shep's lie on top. Sheps is worse tho for the sheer amount of it. I can easily get a plastic shopping bag full after one combing

When I was showing my jacks I would hand strip them each week. Shopping bagSSS of it each time.

Lulu wanting some Havarti.

Fritz disapproving of my being on MoFo.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but holy ****, this really upset me

Award-winning dog breeder, 63, killed eight border collie puppies by stuffing them in a freezer and battered another to death with a can opener

And she's still allowed to keep breeding dogs after she's done with jail time.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but holy ****, this really upset me

Award-winning dog breeder, 63, killed eight border collie puppies by stuffing them in a freezer and battered another to death with a can opener

I cant open that because it will make me stabby, I'll swear a lot nd regret it later.

As much as I'm traumatised by snakes I love the work these guys do in India

I hope it's ok to put this stuff in here if not I'll delete.

They lso rescue sloth bears and elephants from captivity

Save animals from drowning in wells

waaaa another sloth bear

and generally care for such majestic animals who are injured, orphaned or mistreated. Following them on fb makes me forget how hideous humans can be sometimes.

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with this rescue org. I just like seeing the work they do.

Back to pets because the above are not

Cuteness coma alert

https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...8a&oe=597063C5

As much as I'm traumatised by snakes I love the work these guys do in India

This is the most adorable thing I've seen all week! Wook at dat widdle face!

This is so wrong from so many angles I'm not even sure where to start. Oh well, here goes:
1. All purebred dogs are basically inbred already -- every recognized breed has its own set of problems to which individuals are genetically predisposed. I once had a vet instructor who liked to say the worst thing that can happen to a breed is to get popular (i.e., more careless "backyard breeding", exacerbating the congenital problems).
2. It's almost a cliche for pet owners, when advised to take precautions, to assume "Brothers and sisters wouldn't do that!", but an "experienced" breeder? Why did SHE let it happen in the first place?
3. The vets were completely justified in refusing to euthanize the puppies, since none of them appeared to be suffering yet from whatever genetic misfortune they admittedly may have inherited. If something intractable comes up later, THEN euthanize.
4. She had to kill them this minute so the mother wouldn't get tragically attached to them? HUH?! Once a litter is weaned, dams couldn't seem to care less about them, even as the puppies are adopted out, and an "experienced breeder" should know that better than anyone.
5. Even if the puppies were genetic garbage, there is a less drastic solution (as terrifying as these words are to any breeder): SPAY and NEUTER! There's plenty of time to get it done (at five or six months old) before there's any risk of their passing on their genetic cooties. Don't panic.
6. Regardless of the context, at her age, where does she get off blaming ANYONE else for HER OWN actions? Grow up already!
7. What's up with that judge? Would she let one deliberate massacre slide in an otherwise reputable daycare center?

OK, I feel better now.

I hear you.

Cracks me up, though: I work with one doctor whose wife is also a vet -- and dog breeder. Nothing makes hubby happier than getting to fix one of his wife's dogs!

I've just never in my life met a breeder that I had any respect for - whether they were backyard breeders or deep in the show world. I've seen many of them do some really shady ***** at the expense of the health of their breeding stock or of the future puppies - like knowingly breeding dogs with bad hips and other abnormalities because they're from "champion" lines (To hell with what the OFA says about the results of the x-rays we took of the animals, they're just a scam anyway. Right?). Or breeding aggressive dogs. Or not keeping their bitches up to date on vaccines (because why spend money on that?) and losing entire litters to parvo as a result.

Cat breeders are no better, either. Like the one I knew who saved money on cat litter by scooping out the feces, then putting the urine soaked litter outside to dry and reusing it. Or the one who was injecting kittens with enrofloxacin (no idea where she got it) to stunt their growth and produce "munchkins."

I've just never in my life met a breeder that I had any respect for - whether they were backyard breeders or deep in the show world. I've seen many of them do some really shady ***** at the expense of the health of their breeding stock or of the future puppies - like knowingly breeding dogs with bad hips and other abnormalities because they're from "champion" lines (To hell with what the OFA says about the results of the x-rays we took of the animals, they're just a scam anyway. Right?). Or breeding aggressive dogs. Or not keeping their bitches up to date on vaccines (because why spend money on that?) and losing entire litters to parvo as a result.

Cat breeders are no better, either. Like the one I knew who saved money on cat litter by scooping out the feces, then putting the urine soaked litter outside to dry and reusing it. Or the one who was injecting kittens with enrofloxacin (no idea where she got it) to stunt their growth and produce "munchkins."

Well you obviously hang out with pretty shady people because as much as some animal breeders are maggots, I know plenty of pedigree registered breeders who put the livelihood, health and placement of their litters first and foremost, so please stop generalising. SOME people who breed for profit are horrendous. SOME are not.

Well you obviously hang out with pretty shady people.
I don't "hang out" with any of these people. I've spent 16 years working in veterinary clinics where I've had to deal with them. And the ones I've dealt with aren't even the worst either, since the truly horrendous ones don't even bother to seek veterinary care when something goes wrong.

I was also speaking specifically about the ones I've met, which is why I started that post with "I've never in my life met one that I have any respect for."

You're still generalising. I will repeat, yes SOME breeders of 'livestock' are ass hats who are in it for the dough. SOME are not, and as is generally the case, the few who hit the headlines with horrendous stories and court cases are few and far between but tarnish the whole lot.