Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Blind Side (John Lee Hancock, 2009)

This mainstream hit is a very entertaining film, so don't let anybody steer you clear from watching a film about true-life good people doing good things and being rewarded. I'll admit that you cannot really compare this film to Precious at all, but on some levels, they are actually about the same thing: parents taking responsibility for their children. Now, I'll admit that the family who "adopts" homeless teenager Michael (Quinton Aaron) are rich Southerners from Memphis, but what's a scriptwriter to do? The dad (Tim McGraw) owns several Taco Bell restaurants (so that's a nice, coincidental tie-in to Sandra's Demolition Man), and my wife Brenda loves Taco Bell, so she says that she would take advantage of all the free food on an almost daily basis (just like Slug would ). The mom (Oscar winner Sandra Bullock) has a big heart and won't back down from anyone or anything when she thinks she's right.

The film follows a relatively-predictable story arc in that a few roadblocks are thrown in the way of the family's eventual dream of getting Michael a football scholarship to a powerful Southern college, but at the same time, it displays an unsuspected level of wit, especially in the relationship of the married couple. Maybe you have to have been in a long-term heterosexual relationship to get it, but this film and couple truly understand the social and political dynamics of a healthy marriage. Another plus for me are the characters of the young son (Jae Head), who basically becomes the "agent" of his "big brother", and the daughter (Lily Collins) who shows that she has true concern for Michael too. For people who like American football, all those scenes are just frosting on the cake. So basically what I'm saying is that this "Hollywood" comedy-drama is one of their best non-F/X releases of recent years and is well worth watching without feeling guilty about it. The end credits show all the actual people who were characterized in the flick. College All-American Michael was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft of 2009 by the Baltimore Ravens.

But I'm a Cheerleader (Jamie Babbit, 1999)

This film is relatively simple and low-key, not attempting to go too deep past its basic comic premise which is that when parents become worried that their teenage kids are homosexual they send them to this camp where they are taught how to become just as straight as they were always meant to be. Cathy Moriarity blows away most of the cast with her almost-psychotic performance as the head of the school and chief deprogrammer, but most of the cast, both female and male, have at least one humorous moment, and I found the romance between Natasha Lyonne and Clea DuVall rather affecting, both emotionally and physically. What can I say? Even if the film could have been funnier or sharper, it certainly shows a relationship which seems healthy and happy.

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (Curtis Hanson, 1992)
-

The script is a solid foundation upon which to build a thriller, but what makes it seem better than it may be is Curtis Hanson's proficient direction. Even though some of the characters' actions border on unrealistic, Hanson keeps everything grounded and presents just enough doubt here and there to help build suspense. The film is basically about an unhinged widow (Rebecca De Mornay) who blames another woman (Annabella Sciorra) for the suicide of her doctor husband, her own miscarriage and the loss of any property and income which may occur from lawsuits against her husband. The widow decides to call herself Peyton and attempts to become the nanny of the other woman, Claire, who suffers from asthma, has a husband (Matt McCoy), a six-year-old daughter (Madeline Zima) and is also very pregnant. Two other important characters are the mentally-challenged handyman (Ernie Hudson) and a friend of the family (Julianne Moore) who was the husband's first choice for a wife. The film tweaks the Fatal Attraction scenario, and although it's not on the level of that film as an entertainment or a social phenomena, it does provide some solid suspense and plenty of moments where you really want that biatch of a nanny to get her just desserts but she just never seems to get them.

Swing Vote (Joshua Michael Stern, 2008)
-

In the fantasy world of movies and taken outside the context of what's happening in the U.S. today, I'll admit that this film could seem preposterous. In a scary replay of the 2000 Presidential election, another such election comes down to not just one state and a few of its counties determining the winner, but it comes down to one state and one exact voter. That "voter" is Bud Johnson (Kevin Costner), a drunken slacker who never even voted, but his civic-minded tweener daughter (Madeline Carroll) tried to vote for him when nobody was looking and the power went out at the polling place. It's determined that Bud's is the only uncounted vote and since New Mexico's results show a tie between the Conservative incumbent (Kelsey Grammar) and the Liberal challenger (Dennis Hopper), and both candidates need the state to win, Bud is courted by both candidates to garner his winning, swing vote. Bud's story is also carried on network TV by a pretty, up-and-coming local newscaster (Paula Patton, the teacher in Precious) who becomes close to Bud and his daughter. As the fantasy plays itself out, it's almost amazing how close it reflects our current political landscape where the two sides seem so diametrically opposed that sometimes one of them is actually going against their own "fundamental principles" just to keep the other side from winning or looking good. Costner is decent at playing a slacker, but he's even better at having his conscience pricked and trying to become a good father to his daughter and do what's right for both his family and his nation. Thus, what's basically a light comedy turns into something much more resembling a satire, and for as long as the U.S. stays as divided as it currently is, this film will seem even better that it probably is.

The Miracle of St. Anna (Spike Lee, 2008)

I need to rewatch this film because my first viewing was mostly a frustrating experience. The movie probably tells an important story and may have its heart in the right place, but it's so crammed with incident and seemingly-inconsequential subplots, as well as being told in a convoluted manner, that it's difficult for me to even tell you what it's supposed to be about. Although the flick starts with somebody going postal in 1983 New York City, most of it is a flashback about four Black American soldiers behind enemy lines in WWII Tuscany, Italy. The four soldiers attempt to help out the local partisans while also trying to capture a German soldier. Since this is a Spike Lee Joint, he casts a sexy woman just so he can get her to take her clothes off. Then, there's the "miracle" which I'm not going to even try to discuss. The movie looks good and has some elements of action and suspense, but I cannot understand why it's 160 minutes long unless Spike really thought he was going to get some Oscars for this. Additionally, for all those people who hate "bad accents" and would prefer everyone to speak their own language, this film may be the antedote to that idea. There are scenes upon scenes where Americans speak English, the Italians speak Italian (with subtitles) and the Germans speak German (in subtitles). After a short while, it's enough to give you a headache because most of the dialogue is expository or banal. Once again, I think Spike must have had delusions of grandeur because it really kills the film for everybody trying to understand everybody else when they all have to be translated back and forth. Normally, I prefer subtitles, especially if it's a film made outside of the U.S., but this film just shows how much better Clint Eastwood handled the subtitles in Letters from Iwo Jima. As I said up front, I'll try to rewatch it, but it was a long slog the first time.

Harry Brown(2009)-Simply amazing, realistic a little slow at the beginning but after that its pfff awesome, Michael Cain is outstanding

there's a frog in my snake oil

Whisky

Agonizing flick about a dour Uruguayan sock manufacturer & the arrival of his more garrulous brother after the death of their mother. From the soporific opening (blinking to blackness to reveal the credits during an early morning drive to work) via the clunky rituals of opening the shop, the film is awash with stoical melancholy, and something of a challenge to watch. As our frequently silent characters slowly reveal themselves there are some wry smiles and subtly drawn emotional states displayed however, which are crafted and crafty in their understated way.

-

Ley Lines

Miike piles on the plight for some half-Chinese outcasts in notoriously xenophobic Japan. Expect bruisingly brutal and sordidly exploitative scenarios, but also some triumph in adversity amongst the kicks to the guts. His gonzo directing experiments include lots of colour filter washes, to mixed effect (and many scenes seemed far too dark, but that may be my lousy multi-region DVD player at work). There's a great Triad baddie in the mix though, and a ragbag of semi-anti-heroes to root for, and the whole thing culminates in a pretty wonderful final shot.

+

Paranormal Activity

Yep, worth the hype. You need to forgive the fairly amateurish acting at the beginning, and worse, the fairly clunky exposition, but it's pretty easy to buy into the scenario all told. There are plot holes about, but you've got to admire the slow ratcheting up of tension and the well implemented use of simple special effects. There's an inevitable 'sameyness' to the camera shot of the bedroom scenes, but some of the stuff that happens there sure did make me and the ladyfriend jump. (To add to the fun we also heard a weird metallic tapping sound from the empty flat next door half way through )

+

Chicken Run 2000

Yeah you can see every plot twist coming from a mile away, probably because it's a remake of A Bug's Life - but the pie machine scene was awesome, as is the animation.

The Good, The Bad, The Weird 2010

A twist on Leone's hailed classic, the plot is more focused than the film that inspired it, which isn't saying much. Some really well done action scenes and a snoozer story.

Insomnia 1997

Is it better than Nolan's ? Yeah, I guess.

The Room 2003

The worst movie ever made. There are five really long sex scenes, one involving two characters who are never introduced and never appear in the film again. Don't watch it thinking it'll be so bad that it's good, it's not. The Room is a movie that after viewing the entire thing, you can say in all honesty to yourself and the world ...

"You know, Uwe Boll does indeed have talent"

Director and writer of the s**tfest, Tommy Wiseau plays the leading role (which actually doesn't have that much screen time). He hogs all the best lines like "Oh hi doggy" and "I'm fed up with this, world" and "Oh hi Mark". If all the characters could have been as well played as him, it may have well been a masterpiece in bad movie making - but it even fails at that.

The Sixth Sense 1999

Yeah I'm pretty late to this one. M. Night injects fear and thrills into a genuinely warm hearted character drama, in a very clever way. The Sixth Sense is well balanced above all, with the bulk of the film in the right place - the characters. Both of the endings are pretty goofy, but they're brief and barely hamper an overall good ride.

The Road Warrior 1982

The huge car chases are fun, but as a film it's aimless.

Gone Baby Gone (2007)

I kept putting this one on the back burner for fear the subject matter would wake one too many ghosts for me... and there were a few uncomfortable moments... but all in all, I loved this movie... Casey Affkeck, IMO, is a much better actor than his brother... and perhaps his brother has found his own niche... took me a second to recognize Ed Harris with hair though...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
Meatwad - Chicken Run isn't a remake of A Bug's Life! It's The Great Escape with chickens! See the original.

Meanwhile:

The Men Who Stare at Goats (Heslov, 2009)

I have trouble rating this film. I was entertained, but it just didn't work in some places. There is really nothing under the hood; this film has very little actual substance. Not a great film.

Black Rain (Scott, 1989)

Although Douglas feels slightly miscast here, I still liked this one quite a bit. A lot of the set design drew tonally from Blade Runner, which is all win for me. The film is well directed, if not played perfectly.

Contact (Zemekis, 1997)

I love this movie. I know it gets a bad rap and the ending is a bit weak, but the sense of discovery and adventure this film portrays throughout is infectious. The science/religion debate is balanced and interesting. A very thought provoking film.

if chicken run is a remake of a bug's life, is the great escape a remake of the seven samurai?
You got it backwards. The Great Escape is a reboot of Seven Samurai which was actually a remake of A Bug's Life. Meaning Chicken Run, is the sequel to the hit 1982 motion picture classic Tron.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ferngully

Childhood classic holds up a little, but some forgettable song numbers that seem out of place and a missing connection between the human character and the fairy hurt it.

And...for meatwad, this is a remake of Avatar.

Suspect's Reviews

keep talking Honeykid....and i guarantee I'll find something negative to say about Barrymore! just because she's married to Paul Anderson doesnt mean that he gets her those movie roles. She doggone well gets 'em on her own credit gosh darn it! ........ ....... ...... erm, yeah, i believe that......

still. speak no evil of Alice!

Star Trek V : The Final Frontier (Shatner, 1989)

Well, Lisa hadn't seen this one so we had to get through it. I had initially skipped this installment when we watched the classic series of films, as I feel it doesn't have much to offer. I was right. The effects are worse than any of the other films, including the first installment from the 70s. Not sure why they made the change to a different guy for this film, but it was a bad idea. The worst of the Star Trek films, hands down.

Re-watched Be Kind Rewind

Score hasn't changed. I'm torn over whether I want to give this a 3 or a 4, sometimes I find myself liking the whole movie and how it segues seamlessly from science-fiction seemingly as an excuse to get the awesome parodies and then finally into the somewhat bittersweet nostalgia ending. It makes sense and I guess I want to say that it's "thematically seamless" vs. dramatically coherent. I also think that it seemed kind of old-fashioned somehow but I can't really say what to compare it to. Anyway it's decent. Liked this better than my Girlfren who thought the ghostbusters bit was hilarious but didn't like the "sappy" ending.

Also saw:

Twilight

New Moon

Cinematically I think they're competent but thoughtless. That opening sequence of part 1, deer being hunted frantically through the forest, insert eagle screech (???)... lots of laugh out loud moments like that. The one other thing I would remark on about the movie that does seem intentional is how it shifts the vampire-romance idea, taking something that's supposed to be dangerous and trying to subversively make it super-safe (i don't even think they kiss in the first movie). It seems kind of silly to me but judging by the success of this franchise it worked.

The second movie has some issues dealing with Edward's super power that I don't think makes any sense.

Star Trek V : The Final Frontier (Shatner, 1989)

Well, Lisa hadn't seen this one so we had to get through it. I had initially skipped this installment when we watched the classic series of films, as I feel it doesn't have much to offer. I was right. The effects are worse than any of the other films, including the first installment from the 70s. Not sure why they made the change to a different guy for this film, but it was a bad idea. The worst of the Star Trek films, hands down.
I agree with your assement. It's a piss poor film though if were including all star trek films Insurrection beats this one hands down. I got say a few of the humor elements work and there's some resemblance of what could have been a fascinating film. what it becomes is at best an old rerun episode disguised as a feature length film.

I guess I'm going to have to defend Shatner and his directorial "attempt". To me, it seems pretty much in line with most of the other Treks. True, it's weaker, but it's just not, at least to me, that noticeably weaker. It's true I first saw this when Brenda and I were on vacation and we watched it in Denver on opening day. We had to get in a line which extended all the way around the theatre, but you'd think that would make me MORE pissed at it than I am. Any time the director and the lead actor are the same person, and the lead gets to say a line like this one, I tend to cut the resulting flick some slack.

I was intruiged by the idea of memories and the guilt and burden that rests on the soles and minds of individuals and how they carry these memories with them and shape ones ideals, necessities, abilites, mind, etc. And that Spocks brother (bad storyline), has the power of ability to (release the burden) put them back into the moment(s) of regrets that have shaped there life and cause them grief and heartache and Shatner's refusal to participate. Yeah, I like that.

I have a few movies left to clean up before I call it a wrap, and I'll admit that many people won't care about many of them, but remember that every one of these is somebody's fave movie. They're just not mine.

Lilly Turner (William A. Wellman, 1933)

Pre-Code flick which has Ruth Chatterton working at a circus and is married to drunk Frank McHugh, falls for young engineer George Brent and is pursued by escaped, crazed strongman Robert Barrat. The flick has plenty of sex and violence, as well as that dark circus atmosphere, but it's too bad it didn't actually turn out better (Wellman was cranking out about a half-a-dozen such flicks each year in the early '30s.)

Man With the Gun (Richard Wilson, 1955)

The most-interesting thing about this western is that it shows how the "Town Tamer" was often used in a wild western setting, so that's an asset for those who never realized that certain lawless towns sold their souls to the "Tamer" and hoped that he turned out better than the scum he was hired to clean up. On the other hand, this is a very awkward film which tells its story hesitantly even though it has a solid cast. There are many actors in this film who hadn't made it big and appeared here in one of their first roles, including Angie Dickinson and Claude Akins (albeit fresh from the wonderful The Caine Mutiny). It's not all that bad, but it should have been better, especially since Mitchum remains an enigma throughout.

No Questions Asked (Harold F. Kress, 1951)

Here's one of the hundreds of low-budget film noirs made in the late '40s/early '50s. Some of them (The Narrow Margin) turned out to be classics, but this one is more along the lines of a completely-average-type flick which has just enough of a hook to hang a film noir on, but in reality, it's all rather preposterous and just an excuse to show off a decent cast in a very ho-hum affair. The thing is though that this era has several classics of the minor variety so you have to watch almost each and every one to find out if you're missing out.

Night Into Morning (Fletcher Markle, 1951)

So far, this is probably the movie with the best pedigree in my tab. Ray Milland is actually good, as is Nancy Davis (the future Mrs. Ronald Reagan), but even though the production values are top-notch and the story is borderline interesting, it just doesn't come across as a major film worth too-much attention, especially the way it plays out. Milland is put through Hell the entire flick, so maybe viddy will give it a high rating, but overall it's a decent flick about a teacher which unfortunately sinks under its own weight of self-pity.

The Story of a Love Affair (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1950)

Antonioni's feature debut is interesting in all kinds of ways which have nothing to do with the actual film. To tell you the truth, I find the best thing about the flick to be the gonzo jazz score which almost sounds like something from a Z-grade Ed Wood flick. I honestly mean that as a compliment to the avant-garde score. Otherwise, this film is a revelation to me. Antonioni is considered the Master of Silence and what's unsaid in a film, yet this film is non-stop dialogue, even though much of it is repetitive and unnecessary. He obviously learned his lesson and gradually adopted his trademark enigmatic (and extremely-quiet) style subsequently. This film is about a rich husband trying to find out if his incredibly-sexy-and-younger wife is actually cheating on him. Well, obviously she is, so there's a subplot about how the lovers might use the success of an earlier murder they committed to get rid of the husband. The flaw is that the wife and her lover spend most of the movie sashaying around whether they're up to it and if it will help them out. Meanwhile, the husband's p.i.s keep investingating the wife. It actually has an ironic ending, but I never realized before how much this flick could make me appreciate Antonioni's later enigmatic silence.

The Karate Kid (John Avildsen, 1984)

Pat Morita is a joy and Ralph Macchio gives his best performance in this wonderful crowd pleaser of a flick. It's Avildsen working in his Rocky mode rather than his Joe mode (please try to watch that latter flick; it's still laceratingly-brilliant). The Karate Kid teaches important lessons while giving you plenty of spoonfuls of sugar to help the medicine go down. Pat Morita is spectacular in his performance as Mr. Miyagi, this guy who seems to speak "pidgeon English" and has no clue, but he turns out to be a man who has suffered a great deal and finds a surrogate son in DanielSon. In fact, Mr. Miyagi is one of film's all-time greatest heroes if you ask me, and that's way more than enough to make the flick glide over any other cliched problems involving BS badguys anybody might have. An added bonus is seeing Elizabeth Shue in lots of shorts.

Absolute Power (Clint Eastwood, 1997)

Clint was perhaps a bit old to play his role, but it's understandable that he'd want to reteam with Gene Hackman after Unforgiven. The beginning of the film certainly gets your attention although the way it's filmed, it seems that Clint should have been caught. Overall, I like the flick and the fact that it has an enormous cast, but it's also just a little bit too long. I always like Laura Linney too, and she could have been used a bit more advantageously but the film is what it is: a solid, Washington conspiracy thriller with family drama overtones. As such, it's good enough for a watch, especially with such an expansive cast.

Ying Xiong (Zhang, 2002)

I know a lot of people think this flick is pretentious and over-the-top, but I disagree. I have seen this several times now, and I am always caught up in the events of the story. Not to mention the cinematography, which is mind-blowing. Some scenes come across as paintings come to life, like the infamous fight between Flying Snow and Moon. Stellar stuff, if not a bit distant in places. Some have said my taste in film is insipid and sophomoric because I like stuff like this - I have no problem with that.

there's a frog in my snake oil

District 9

Great work on a lesser budget and not just in bringing the sci-fi & gore-splash action to life, but also getting the humour to work, and transitioning cleverly from docu-trappings to rollercoaster ride. I know Blomkamp was pitching more for a funride than an agitprop flick with the scenario, but I did feel he wandered into dubious racial/stereotype territory with the Nigerian witchdoctors. Ritual killings still go on there for 'charms' etc, but something about the devouring of a sentient-creatures limbs felt off. Still, it had a blend of elements that held together, the best realised exoskeleton suit I've seen so far, and despite potential accusations of sub-Fly derivativeness, innovation in spades. I can see the CGI dating (the ship & the eyes etc), but the less po-faced approach to human bad guys means this is Avatar with longer legs.

+(+)

The Escapist

Overly excitable music & unthreatening baddies are the least of the problems with this escape flick. The UK rarely out-intimidates the US prison system, except perhaps via Scum-style psycho tension, but the writer/director does nothing at all new with the usual tropes here. He 'glosses' over the leaps of faith in his script, and gets no chemistry from his leads. The flashback plot device means we have to care about how the ensemble assemble, more than how they make the break out, but they don't really gel. It's not that Seu Jorge and co are weak in their roles necessarily (aside from Cooper as the crucial newbie foil to a slightly disappointing Cox), it's more that the director hasn't overseen a believable meeting of minds between them. And when the resolution comes, which would have been a fair one, they've squandered the opportunity to make it shine. It's just about dumb fun, but it should have been better.

---

Odd Man Out

Wonderfully shot, in high contrast noir style, Reed's forerunner to The Third Man lavishes Belfast with ethereal snow & light-sheened stones. The story of an IRA man on the run dragged its feet a bit for me though, from the unnatural exposition at the start through to the pace of the actual 'chase' - it didn't grab me by the lapels. I did love much of the support though, who we spend most of our time with, as our hero exists in a semi-conscious conceptual-blur. It never reaches any 'cuckoo clock' heights with its philosophising, but the 'put away childish things' admonishment felt right. And the whole affair is still quite a sight.

(+)

Arsenic & Old Lace

Now don't gag me, but I felt this stumbled at points, almost as often as it galloped. By the end it had fully won me over, but there was some dead time in the set up of the whole scenario - and not the type you can humoursly bury in Panama. It relied pretty heavily on Grant's gymnastic gurning to stop the farce flopping, but thankfully he pretty successfully propped those bits up. And hell, it does end with a 'charge' worthy of It Happened One Night's wall of Jericho. Can't say fairer than that

++

The True Story of Jesse James (Nicholas Ray, 1957)

Unusual western, told in non-linear fashion and narrated by several characters, attempts to be truer than most but ends up being just an average western. The film isn't really all that "true" but I don't really care about that. What I care about is that the film, while holding one's interest because it's a bit unusual, doesn't really grab one or make one especially care about the James Brothers. It starts with the botched Northfield bank robbery and then flashbacks to various points in Jesse's and his family's life, but apparently Ray had the film taken away by the studio and re-edited. Frank James is well-played by Ray's future Jesus in King of Kings, Jeffrey Hunter, but Robert Wagner is only so-so as Jesse. The supporting cast includes Alan Hale Jr as Cole Younger, Agnes Moorehead as Jesse's mom, Hope Lange as the love of his life, and Frank Gorshin as that coward Charley Ford.

Touchez pas au grisbi (Jacques Becker, 1954)

Super-cool gangster flick masquerading as a male-bonding character study featuring one of the coolest guys to ever grace the silver screen - Jean Gabin - who I consider the French Bogart. Gabin is so cool, he can easily get away with holding on to a buxom messenger's breast by asking her if she needs some help to support it on the way upstairs. Of course, even though Gabin was pushing it (he was 49 here), the messenger would prefer it better if he laid his hands all over her. I only mention this in passing because although there are plenty of scantily-clad women in the flick (including Jeanne Moreau and Dora Doll), the film is all about how men develop lifelong friendships and will do anything to maintain them, including defying death at every step. This also includes ignoring women just as much as paying them attention. Grisbi is mostly about Gabin's relationships with his best friends in crime, most of them now trying to live life peaceably in semi-retirement, but since they keep their hands in the game and own plenty of wealthy property, there will always be some other gang who thinks that they can take it away from them. The film is very good in the quiet scenes of character revelation, but it's actually quite solid as an action thriller when a spectacular nighttime car chase involving explosive gunplay appears near the end and is played very realistically.

Vantage Point (Pete Travis, 2008)
-

This thriller is pretty good for what it attempts to accomplish. It basically is about a half hour of plot stretched to 90 minutes by showing the same scenes from multiple perspectives. Thus, it has about six main characters who may or may not understand the truth of the situation when the U.S. President (William Hurt) is shot while speaking in Spain against terrorism and subsequent bombings wreak further havoc. Things obviously turn out differently than they seem, and the film flies by at a breakneck pace, but I can see how some viewers might feel that the story is just underdeveloped and padded out. I had no problem with this but it is a simple, lightweight entertainment. Other key characters include a Secret Service agent (Dennis Quaid) who suffered a problem trying to save the President once before and his friend (Matthew Fox) in the service. There's also an inquisitive American tourist (Forest Whitaker) with a videocam and some locals who may or may not be significantly involved in the proceedings. Some of the plot twists are revealed early on and some may not even make sense, but overall, it's a painless way to spend 90 minutes and certainly more-entertaining than many other similar thrillers of the 2000s.

The African Queen (John Huston, 1951)
+

I have this film memorized from the old days, but I'm happy to report that the DVD restoration is beautiful and has deleted all those nasty green lines and silhouettes which used to curse this film (yep, meaty, it looks 100% better than the version you watched earlier). The chemistry between Bogie and Kate Hepburn is wonderful, and their gradual romance and love for each other in the face of death is believable and humorous. Even with all these significant persons involved, The African Queen is an excellent example of an independent film. It was made completely-independently from the studio system, but what would you expect since Huston's previous studio flick (The Red Badge of Courage) was butchered. This "independence" may explain part of the reason why the movie seems so personal and why the film's finale seems to almost have been made up on the spur of the moment. Bogart won his only Oscar, quite an accomplishment in the face of Brando's Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire, but the key to the film's popularity is how Hepburn can play her completely-opposite character (Huston told her to play her as Eleanor Roosevelt and the rest, as they say, is History) so wonderfully and yet still project such perfect love and understanding. Sure, there are some "fakish" scenes here and there, but they're far-outnumbered by realistic scenes where when Bogie throws the anchor in the river, you can see and hear all the REAL AFRICAN birds react and fly away. No BS CGI in this flick, just a few quaint models here and there. Check this one out if you've failed to do so thus far.