Quote of the Day

Tools    

I was thinking of dedicating the Pat Robertson quote to him.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Originally Posted by bluebottle
I was thinking of dedicating the Pat Robertson quote to him.
Cool. I actually have that quote (well, a slightly different version of it) among my rotating sigs and I even posted it in this thread twice! I can't help but laugh at that bufoon.

"Among the Indians there have been no written laws. Customs handed down from generation to generation have been the only laws to guide them. Every one might act different from what was considered right did he choose to do so, but such acts would bring upon him the censure of the Nation.... This fear of the Nation's censure acted as a mighty band, binding all in one social, honorable compact." ~ George Copway (Kah-ge-ga-bowh) ~ Ojibwa, 1818-1863

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
"Among the Indians there have been no written laws. Customs handed down from generation to generation have been the only laws to guide them. Every one might act different from what was considered right did he choose to do so, but such acts would bring upon him the censure of the Nation.... This fear of the Nation's censure acted as a mighty band, binding all in one social, honorable compact." ~ George Copway (Kah-ge-ga-bowh) ~ Ojibwa, 1818-1863
Good quote. It's about time we de-stigmatized stigma.

"Nothing is just black or white"

There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past. ~ Noam Chomsky

Originally Posted by bluebottle
There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past. ~ Noam Chomsky
In English:

"Religion bites, and its days are numbered."

"Children were encouraged to develop strict discipline and a high regard for sharing. When a girl picked her first berries and dug her first roots, they were given away to an elder so she would share her future success. When a child carried water for the home, an elder would give compliments, pretending to taste meat in water carried by a boy or berries in that of a girl. The child was encouraged not to be lazy and to grow straight like a sapling." ~ Mourning Dove [Christine Quintasket] (1888-1936) Salish

Courage is of no value unless accompanied by justice; yet if all men became just, there would be no need for courage. ~ Agesilaus of Sparta

BANNED
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." --Einstein.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ah, some crafty craftings there. Me like with a capital Lik.

Originally Posted by Yoda
In English:

"Religion bites, and its days are numbered."

I think something Chomsky was chomping on there was the idea that....

"Religions have to change over time."

Different thing.

Someone Save Us College Kids
" life hands you allot of tricks, puzzles, mazes, games, $hit , fights and sometimes it hands you a free dvd! "