Are we all going to die tomorow???

Tools    

Ok. I have to admit I loved that 7th. You had me laughing.
Me too.

Last month the same "story" was told to me by a friend, and guess what? ...NOTHING! This & 2012 is complete BS! Oh, what would people fill their free time with if it wasn't for the arbitrary doomsday theories?

...uh the post is up there...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't believe it? "Duck and Cover!" Sure, it's bright, but this time, it's black!

And my parents and school never "made us safe places". Bungholes!

You're a Genius all the time
Just think, if the US had ever gotten nuked by the USSR, millions of American schoolchildren would have died with their faces stuffed in their own crotches.

Maybe he survived the initial blast, but I'm pretty sure 'bert" suffered from radiation poisoning until he finally vacated his bowels and collapsed into a withering pile of irradiated reptilian goop.

No doubt about it, but it was the official U.S. position on how to "teach" children about the "Cold War". We definitely got our "humorless" cartoons from the government who were basically throwing our lives away for want of any logistical alternative. Things can still happen any day though, except maybe Black Holes encompassing the Earth, but I believe we're in a much-hotter war than "duck and cover".

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think it is pointless all these scientist with no balls blowing money on a pointless experiment. The money would of been better spent on trying to figure out the cure for cancer or give the money to the starving 3rd world contries so they can have food or medication they need.

Just goes to show how much of a ****ed up world we live in that we can waste money on bollocks experements and there are people dieing of hunger. You would think in this day and age this wouldnt happen.

I think it is a complete waste of money and a completely pointless experiment, who the hell cares how the world started and also what difference will it possibly make to us?

Just goes to show how much of a ****ed up world we live in that we can waste money on bollocks experements and there are people dieing of hunger. You would think in this day and age this wouldnt happen.

I think it is pointless all these scientist with no balls blowing money on a pointless experiment. The money would of been better spent on trying to figure out the cure for cancer or give the money to the starving 3rd world contries so they can have food or medication they need.

I think it is a complete waste of money and a completely pointless experiment, who the hell cares how the world started and also what difference will it possibly make to us?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I don't need a bigger boat.
They're just testing one way particle shots for now. Two way shots won't go 'till next month.

A system of cells interlinked

This argument irks me. So, with all the starving people you mention, why go to the movies? Why do you buy DVDs? Why the internet account? None of this stuff is important when compared to helping starving people, so, why spend money on anything else at all?

Should we stop any and all experimental research on the planet? Who should pick and choose what is important enough on a global scale? Your argument is certainly altruistic and noble, but it's completely impractical and unrealistic.

I guess I like to think I believe in progress.

That said, I certainly believe people should help those of lesser fortune, and I try to donate to causes involving said help whenever I can.

In the Beginning...
This argument irks me. So, with all the starving people you mention, why go to the movies? Why do you buy DVDs? Why the internet account? None of this stuff is important when compared to helping starving people, so, why spend money on anything else at all?

Should we stop any and all experimental research on the planet? Who should pick and choose what is important enough on a global scale? Your argument is certainly altruistic and noble, but it's completely impractical and unrealistic.
I see where you are coming from, and to some extent, I agree. But I think the issue of practicality that you mentioned can go both ways. It's impractical, of course, to put the $8.50 you would normally spend on a movie ticket toward ending world hunger, and an individual going to see a film wouldn't be exhibiting irresponsible behavior in that respect anyway. Starving or not, people need to unwind, and shouldn't be ashamed to do so now and again.

That said, I think you could say that those several benefactors who contributed large sums of money to fund the fabrication and operation of this particle collider might have made better decisions in funding efforts to curtail world hunger, environmental destruction, fossil fuel dependence, rampant disease and cancer affliction, or any of the numerous dire issues which directly affect the quality of life on the planet right now. Knowing where we come from and how we got here is important, don't get me wrong. But there are plenty of immediate problems to solve now, and plenty of time and money being spent everyday in other, less-pressing areas of interest. Compound that with the fact that scientists and researchers involved with the collider are admittedly unsure whether it will prove or disprove anything, or even work properly... to me, that's just a lot of money being spent on something that isn't guaranteed to deliver. And other smaller particle colliders have been operating for years, so it's feasible that this monumentally expensive one will do the same.

I'm just waiting to see what sort of valuable info the LHC will provide, and what the application of that info will be. I believe in progress, too, and I can't help but wonder what practical progress this will encourage.

And another issue, of course, is the potential of the LHC to validate the Big Bang theory, and what sort of ramifications the "creationist" crowd will endure from it. That's a powder keg waiting to be opened, I would argue; and given the Earth's present situation, I'm not so sure we're equipped to handle the fallout.

I'm not sure going on a guilt trip will help the third world or any other area of need in this screwed up world. Practical action is the answer, but (as there is always a but) to help others in the world we first have to rid them of a corrupt government or they are in the ravages of civil war, this means yet again NATO involvement and yet again our respective governments will pick and choose who should benefit from our intervention and I for one do not believe that the choices are not always so much humanatarian but for a personal gain, ie oil which we all benefit. Not going to the cinema or buying a DVD is going to help, all that will do perpetuate more misery which would be senseless when we can afford to have some pleasure and count our blessings. If you want to cut costs for movie pleasures and go on a guilt trip then wait for the films to be released on DVD and then wait till they have gone cheap because they are no longer blockbusters. With the $ or £ you have saved donate this to a charity that you feel will do the job. I only give to charities that I think will do the what they promise but as always there are no garuntees.

It is a waste of money and man-power. I think Scientific research should have practical applications, not just to pop one's intellectual cork.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Well the world did NOT end, however scientists are reporting that the entire universe possibly blinked out for approximately 0.007715983245078 secs. Anybody that noticed anything unusual should report it to the appropiate authorities.

This is part of my fave part of the equation. Who ARE the scientists? They sound suspiciously like kids who haven't learned the difference between "facts" and 'opinions". On the other hand, that's supposed to make me sound even more like the old fool I know myself to be. Yikes!