Daniel Day-Lewis, Top 5

Tools    

Frankly, I have revisited both Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood recently, and I am inspired. I am curious to know other MoFo's favorite films featuring Daniel Day-Lewis. Let's just make it, say, a top 5. Feel free to list more...

1. There Will Be Blood
2. My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown
3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
4. Gangs of New York
5. In the Name of the Father

There are several I haven't seen.

Daniel Day Lewis is one of those actors that has the capacity to tread a fine line between immersing himself totally in the role and toppling over into some kind of insane over the topness. He does that in There Will Be Blood , well I think so, some of the scenes made me want to laugh at inappropriate moments.

So for me I'd go:

1. My Beautiful Laundrette
2. My Left Foot
3 In The Name of the Father
3.The Last of the Mohicans
4. The Age of Innocence
5. Gangs of New York

In the Name of the Father
The Boxer
My Left Foot
There Will Be Blood
The Last of the Mohicans

I love Daniel Day-Lewis... he can be a little over the top at times, but he always makes me forget he's Daniel Day-Lewis...

The Last of the Mohicans
In the Name of the Father
My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown
Gangs of New York
The Age of Innocence
The Boxer
The Crucible
The Ballad of Jack and Rose

I have There Will Be Blood but haven't watched it yet… and I need to re-watch My Beautiful Laundrette and The Unbearable Lightness of Being...

and no, I can't count...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being is probably my favorite of his. He was quite good in There Will Be Blood and Gangs Of New York also, but little else of his script picks worked any wonders. In The Name Of The Father was almost great

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I have always been impressed with his work. I couldn't have said it any better Caitlyn when you said "he can be a little over the top at times, but he always makes me forget he's Daniel Day-Lewis"

My top 5 would have to be;

1. In the Name of the Father
2. The Last of the Mohicans
3. Gangs of New York
4. The Boxer
5. My Left Foot

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think mine would be a different list depending on whether I am picking best films he's been in, or best performances. His virtue really is that he's so very different from one film to the next, as Caitlyn has said, you forget he's Daniel Day-Lewis, he inhabits his character. I never forget Leonardo DiCaprio is Leonardo DiCaprio or that Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks however superficially different their roles.

But a tentative top 5 as it was asked for:

Gangs of New York
My Beautiful Laundrette
My Left Foot
The Age of Innocence
Last of the Mohicans

He's good in A Room With a View, too, not one of my favourite films but his performance always deserves a mention. This thread has reminded me I really must see In the Name of the Father and The Boxer.

Interestingly, imdb has him listed as playing Professor Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes sequel. This seems unlikely, somehow, although he would be excellent. I wonder if it's true?

Frankly, I have revisited both Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood recently, and I am inspired. I am curious to know other MoFo's favorite films featuring Daniel Day-Lewis. Let's just make it, say, a top 5. Feel free to list more...

1. There Will Be Blood
2. My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown
3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
4. Gangs of New York

There are several I haven't seen.
This is almost my exact list, in exact order, except I'd replace In the Name of the Father with The Age of Innocence.

1.My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown - I think this is his best performance
2. Gangs of New York
3. The Last of the Mohicans
4. The Age of Innocence

I have not seen his latest films such as Nine and There Will Be Blood. I plan to watch them.